PDA

View Full Version : How tall is too tall?

davedek
14th Mar 2006, 20:26
Hi, I did a search but nothing came up.

I was wondering what (if any) the restrictions are on tall pilots. I'm 189cm tall (roughly 6 foot and 2 or 3 inches), and I'm only 18 so its possible I may grow a little more. I recently completed a Class 2 medical and was told there was no height limit invloved in that.

I am training for my ppl on a Robin HR200 and I am uncomfortable (to say the least) even with the seat all the way back. Probably my fault for not forking out the extra cash to train in a Warrior, but hey :}

My point is, do airlines have restrictions on how tall pilots can be (because this is my eventual aim). I got the following from the British Airways website to use as an example, it was the only airline website I found that mentioned it:

BA Pilot Application

Height between 1.57m (5'2") and 1.91m (6'3") with weight in proportion to height, (height is accurately determined during the assessment process). Qualified pilots who are taller than 1.91m may submit an application but will be required to undergo a functionality check to confirm their ability to meet the requirements of the seating positions in the British Airways fleet of aircraft.

It sounds like if you are taller than 1.91m it will depend on what plane they want you to fly. Thats only 2cm taller than me :ugh:, I just hope i'll stop growing about now.

Does anyone have more info?

Thanks for the help

haughtney1
14th Mar 2006, 20:29
Dont even bother worrying about this..Im 1.93m tall...and no problem to fit in a 737-400, or a 757-200, its not even worth worrying about:ok:

davedek
14th Mar 2006, 20:31
Thanks, I'm very glad to hear that :)

Flare-Idle
14th Mar 2006, 21:56
Dave

I'm 1.98 m tall, fly on the Embraer 145 and have no problems at all. Once you are seated, it's quite comfortable.

FI

got caught
15th Mar 2006, 14:58
1.92m and been microlighting