PDA

View Full Version : Gonna fly after 1.5 years!!!

richie-rich
14th Mar 2006, 17:26
guys
i am RE-starting my training next week! i was a flight from my PPL check flight with the CFI when I had to pull out due to pressure from the family front, but must I say, I am really happy to be going back to my flight school :)

This time, I hope to finish off my CPL + IR at one go.

Can you please suggest what course of action I should take to get myself oriented with the procedures, training I have already completed etc? I mean, what do you think I should do now to "get back into the swing?"

Would be grateful to hear your voices over it.

Richie

Arm out the window
14th Mar 2006, 20:33
Go over your notes of course.
You want to get yourself back into the 'feel' of it so your eyes, hands and feet know what to do automatically, so a cockpit photo blu-tacked on the wall and 'imagining' through the checks, normal and emergency procedures will help build up that comfort level again.

dangodz
15th Mar 2006, 02:12
Hey Richie, Check your PM's!

Chadzat
15th Mar 2006, 02:57
when you come back in to land after that first flight back remember tos tick to the runway! Unlike a certain Tobago at PF yesterday. :}

15th Mar 2006, 03:53
A great piece of advice there by Arm. Having a visual of your instrument panel is a great way to familiarise yourself when you're between flights. An incredibly cheap, worthwhile investment for a measly $20.

What a shame you didn't complete things before. I'd wish you luck but doubt you'll need it after doing so much of the hard work before.

wigga
15th Mar 2006, 04:16
See your flying school and ask them for a back-seat ride. Definately one of the best ways to get back into the swing of things.. :D

richie-rich
16th Mar 2006, 16:47
thanks a lot guys. i feel welcomed to the aviation scene after having to study journalism (yukkkkk) for three bloody years.

ARM, god bless you mate. nice advise!

72, thanks for the good luck. its never early/late to be told that :)

wigga, i think i might just do that.

god knows how that Tobago crash happened earlier this week. the aircraft involved was one that i used to fly on a regular basis ...bloody hell :\

take care all!

richie

richie-rich
16th Mar 2006, 17:14
btw, is it mandatory nowadays for pilots to have an uni degree to get into an airline? Qantas? REX? Virgin?

i was reading a post in this section of D&G where it says all Singapore Airlines pilots must have a degree. how true is it?

please shed some light on this!

scrambler
17th Mar 2006, 01:41
Studying Journalism and now flying. You definately aren't chasing big bucks (not in the short term anyhow). Both jobs are poorly rewarded unless you are at the top

Avgas172
17th Mar 2006, 03:16
Welcome back Ritchie ... having just done that trip myself I gotta say it's worth the stress. Had a 6 year spell from flying while I burnt buckets of $$$$ motor racing. Got back into flying by buying an ancient 172 (not as old as me but!) and this year decided to shout myself to Bob Taits CPL theory course at Archerfield (passed 6 subjects need to revisit Perf & Planning) Will be spending a few months now to upgrade the flying standards to CPL level and then might do an Instructor rating ..... (no not for the money LOL) mans gotta do something when he gets sick of working for a living.
cheers :ok:

MBA747
17th Mar 2006, 11:43
richie-rich,

You would find most airline cadets overseas are required to have degrees. It's really quite simple there are a lot of applicants for these positions and therefore airlines can make that a requirement for entry.

This does not apply in Oz at the moment. However universities are producing about 200 pilot graduates a year,so what do you think will happen in the future? If you were an employer would you take a year12 educated pilot, a university drop out or a graduate who has proven he/she is able to cope with the rigours of study at a higher level and who also has all the licences and ratings?

It's no longer stick and rudder, aircraft are highly automated and flying large aircraft is more management than what you will encounter in light aircraft. Hope that helps.

richie-rich
19th Mar 2006, 09:06
MBA747
done with my degree. but i honestly didnt like this course since i was never a journalist-minded person.

whoever said both my degree+ licenses wouldnt fetch me big bucks, mate, i am not the sort of person who chases big $$$ (despite my nick :confused: ) but:confused: i have always wanted to be a pilot for a long long time. which is why i started my training right after high school and had to take time off due to constant nag from the family front :ugh: .

how come none of my instructors got an uni degree then? what are their chances of gaining employment when they have 1000+ hours of flying under their belt???

Richie

Arm out the window
19th Mar 2006, 09:45
A degree is neither here nor there to most employers in Australia. There are certain educational basics that various employers may require, generally maths, physics and English, which it could be argued are the staples of flying background knowledge, but if you have a CPL and the appropriate hours for the job you're after, and a good attitude, that will be enough for anyone, I'd suggest.

richie-rich
19th Mar 2006, 11:55
Arm
mate, that was pretty much what i was thinking. I honestly cant figure out how a degree, lets say even in Computer science, would help someone wanting to become a pilot.

I guess it all comes down to the right attitude as you have mentioned :)

Take care
Richie