PDA

View Full Version : Next Question- AVI file to DVD

Tosh McCaber
14th Mar 2006, 12:14
Having opened the .avi files, I would like to transfer them to DVD, to play in a domestic player to my telly. What suggestions do you have to do this?

Conan the Librarian
14th Mar 2006, 12:58
Wouldn't worry too much. Every CD/DVD burning and authoring program I have ever seen, will do this automatically and easily for you. I presume you are just dragging your AVI onto a writeable DVD or similar, with Win Explorer?

Conan

BOAC
14th Mar 2006, 12:58
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Search/avi_player.html has some not-too-expensive Shareware options.

unclenelli
14th Mar 2006, 13:00
I've used several software packages to do this......
Nero - Nero Vision
Pinnacle - Studio
MS Movie Maker

Import the AVI/MPEG file(s), add your titles, set your chapters, render the video (this is the translating from the file you've created/edited to VOB files for the DVD)

Tosh McCaber
14th Mar 2006, 16:22
(Sigh!) I don't have MS Movie Player- so I went to download it from MS. I've just been taken on a tour of just about every Microsoft web page looking for the download. As usual, instead of what should be a simple matter, MS creates a maze of pages leading- nowhere!

Can anyone give me the URL?

(My Pinnacle Studio didn't recognise the .avi files for some reason.)

Thanks,

Tosh

Tarq57
15th Mar 2006, 08:45
http://www.irfanview.com/Here's another damned nice wee freeware player that does a lot more besides. Rave reviews at Download.com, less that a meg. (Optional Plugins about 4megs.)

Hew Jaz
15th Mar 2006, 23:54
Slightly off topic I'm afraid....

I'm using Nero which came with a DVD burner. Finding my way round it, and it seems to the jobs ok, although I haven't put it to too much of a test.

But, the templates that come with it are, erm, a bit poor, to say the least. I'd be quite happy with a blank page, or a single colour or something for the background on the title page (the page you first see when the disk is inserted).

Can anybody offer advice on getting round using one of the standard "cartoon" / "electronic" etc templates in favour of something more tasteful...?

P.Pilcher
16th Mar 2006, 10:41
Tosh - I've P.M.'d you

P.P.

Tosh McCaber
16th Mar 2006, 16:03
Thanks, all.

Tosh

Mogget
19th Mar 2006, 16:57
AVI files take up a huge amount of space when compared to MPEG files.........