PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail - warmer one side of the pond than the other

LowNSlow
14th Mar 2006, 12:17
I noticed today that if I register with an [email protected] address the mailbox size is 250Mb wheras if I register with a [email protected] addres it's only 25Mb. Why the anomally? does MS think that Brits are better at size management????

Windy Militant
14th Mar 2006, 12:21
Nope they reckon that our third world infrastructure wouldn't cope with bundling that much data! :}

acbus1
14th Mar 2006, 12:32
Chromosomes, innit.

sixmilehighclub
14th Mar 2006, 12:43
Everything is bigger in America.

timmcat
14th Mar 2006, 12:54
Get a googlemail account - you get 2 gigs +

(invites on request, drop me a PM)

Tolsti
14th Mar 2006, 13:19
I second Timm.... I sent him the gmail acct!... but I've also been invited to try Windows Live Beta... it gives 2 gb... giving it a try but as it really is based on Hotmail I don't think it'll be much of an improvement,

G-CPTN
14th Mar 2006, 14:58
Had heard that googlemail was 'intrusive' (can't be specific).
Have had hotmail.com for years now. Seems to work just fine. Got 2000Mb.

GreenWings
14th Mar 2006, 15:21
Had heard that googlemail was 'intrusive' (can't be specific).

What that means is that it 'scans' your email messages and gives you little ads next to the email when you open it. For example, next to an email mentioning the RAF, I get an news advert talking about the Sea King that got stuck up a mountain in Scotland. Dont think its more intrusive than that.

HTH

GW

Rushton
14th Mar 2006, 15:28
What that means is that it 'scans' your email messages and gives you little ads next to the email when you open it

A sneeky junk ad system then.

Bahn-Jeaux
14th Mar 2006, 16:38
You use Google a lot, right? If someone was peering over your shoulder, watching every Google search you made; making a note of what you looked for; what you found; and sometimes where you visited from the results; (and maybe every email you sent and received); and did so for years and years: they'd grow to know quite a bit about you, eh? Well, that's what the cookie allows Google to do, forever, if you don't take simple precautions.

Not saying they are spying on you....yet, but in future years someone may just drag up all the dirt, governments etc.

Here is some expert opinion.

John Battelle describes it as the Database of Intentions :-

The Database of Intentions is simply this: The aggregate results of every search ever entered, every result list ever tendered, and every path taken as a result. It lives in many places, but three or four places in particular hold a massive amount of this data (ie MSN, Google, and Yahoo). This information represents, in aggregate form, a place holder for the intentions of humankind - a massive database of desires, needs, wants, and likes that can be discovered, subpoenaed, archived, tracked, and exploited to all sorts of ends. Such a beast has never before existed in the history of culture, but is almost guaranteed to grow exponentially from this day forward. This artefact can tell us extraordinary things about who we are and what we want as a culture. And it has the potential to be abused in equally extraordinary fashion.

And is concerned that :-

One might argue that while the PATRIOT Act is scary, in times of war citizens must always be willing to balance civil liberties with national security. Most of us might be willing to agree to such a framework in a presearch world, but the implications of such broad government authority are chilling given the world in which we now live is a world where our every digital track, once lost in the blowing dust of a presearch world, can now be tagged, recorded, and held in the amber of a perpetual index.

He also says :-

As we move our data to the servers at Amazon.com, Hotmail.com, Yahoo.com, and Gmail.com, we are making an implicit bargain, one that the public at large is either entirely content with, or, more likely, one that most have not taken much to heart.

That bargain is this: we trust you to not do evil things with our information. We trust that you will keep it secure, free from unlawful government or private search and seizure, and under our control at all times. We understand that you might use our data in aggregate to provide us better and more useful services, but we trust that you will not identify individuals personally through our data, nor use our personal data in a manner that would violate our own sense of privacy and freedom.

That’s a pretty large helping of trust we’re asking companies to ladle onto their corporate plate. And I’m not sure either we or they are entirely sure what to do with the implications of such a transfer. Just thinking about these implications makes a reasonable person’s head hurt.

It sure does. Try using GoogleAnon and an aspirin for a little pain relief, while you wrestle with the wider implications ;)

Niall Kennedy of Technorati calls it Google's "total information awareness potential" :-

Google is gathering as much information as possible about our online activities [...] future products might include data gathering and targeting as a primary business goal [...]. Google is already well on its way to building an information awareness network on its own sites as well as the sites of hundreds of thousands of willing webmasters and millions of desktop clients. What is the current state of Google's information network? [...] track and analyze every web search query, news request, and television or video browsing. Google Alerts [...] Every e-mail sent, received, or drafted in Gmail or every instant message or voice conversation delivered through Google Talk [...] Social networking services such as Orkut [...] Google Analytics and AdSense tracks your movement on every site with the service enabled, creating a behavioural profile. [...] Google Toolbar picks up every site you visit [...] an Internet service provider blanketing entire cities with free wireless access [...] route all your traffic through Google Secure Access [...] Google Desktop will index all of your files and connect to the central database once you connect to the grid [...].

All that is missing right now is all these different data collection tools talking to each other to create one large profile per user. [...] Google has the ability to silently deploy cross pollination of its advertising platforms across a multitude of services whenever it would like to flip the switch.

Scientia est potentia. Knowledge is power.

And Lauren Weinstein put it like this :-

Google has created a growing information repository of a sort that CIA and NSA (and the old KGB) would probably envy and covet in no uncertain terms -- and Google's data is virtually without outside oversight or regulation.
[...]
Google has become the smiling 800-pound gorilla of the Internet. They've done this with the help of a somewhat fanatical following who just can't imagine that someday Google might do (or be *compelled* to do) something nasty with all that data they have salted away.

What makes this all the more difficult is that their services are so good, and that there is no reason to suspect at this point that Google has evil intentions. But rosy motives don't provide immunity from what has repeatedly been revealed to be Google's naive world view (particularly toward privacy and some would argue copyright issues) and the ways in which their vast machine could someday become an instrument of genuine repression despite Google's best intentions today.

Something to think about, at least..