PDA

View Full Version : Low water levels and Golf

surely not
14th Mar 2006, 09:12
I believe that the problems with the water levels and hose pipe bans in the South of England are caused by the proliferation of feckin golf courses everywhere.

The amount of water used to keep greens in good condition just so some golfer can make the perfect putt which they then bore you about for the next 3 weeks+ is obscene. Sure the population has grown in the region but not at the rate feckin golf clubs have. Before anyone starts dribbling on about how the water is recycled, there is a considerable amount which isn't recycled.

Is there a party which wants to ban Golf, they'd get my vote:mad: :mad:

Capn Notarious
14th Mar 2006, 09:32
Instead of filling the bunkers with sand they should be lined with rubber and used as resovoirs. "Underwater cameras and snorkels"?
Nah mate supply yer own I'm just the greenkeeper.

The attractions of Golf are the elegant lady models, often seen in the advertising.

Are you in
England
Shurley?

CargoMatatu
14th Mar 2006, 12:27
FORE !!!Must have seen that one coming!

G-CPTN
14th Mar 2006, 12:33
Water Company says it's OK as all Golf Course are metered, so they pay for what they use, just as any other industrial user.
So that's alright then . . .

frostbite
14th Mar 2006, 13:38
I can understand the hosepipe ban but on the very rare occasions I wash my car, I am certain that a trigger spray on the end of the pipe results in far less water usage than the 3-4 bucketfulls alternative.

Would make sense if the ban was qualified in some way.

surely not
14th Mar 2006, 13:41
Bolleaux it's all right!!! Industrial users are doing something useful by providing jobs and money into society and making things that everyone might find useful.

Golf clubs produce nothing more than boring old and young purveyors of flatulence who go endlessly on about their swing, putting, greatest shot etc ad nauseum. Handicap is a word that is well suited to golfers, but not to describe how proficient they are at the game:mad:

Golf Clubs serve no useful purpose at all and should be rationed with no more than say 6 per county.............. then we'd not have the feckin hose pipe bans every feckin year!!!!!

tony draper
14th Mar 2006, 13:43
Beats me why you peeps down there don't build dig or dam a river or two to create a few more reservoirs,you got plenty of wasted space,such as Essex frinstance.
:rolleyes:

Rushton
14th Mar 2006, 13:43
Golf Clubs serve no useful purpose at all and should be rationed with no more than say 6 per county

Flatten the rest and turn 'em into GA airfields. Sorry off topic.

Lon More
14th Mar 2006, 13:47
Rushton But where would the funny handshake fraternity and other high ranking policemen have to go?

Capn Notarious
14th Mar 2006, 18:57
Rural Africa does not have lots of golf courses. This is irksome to the hippos crocodiles lions etc. Such a facility would be an ideal feeding ground.
Worn out comedians away on a foreign golf holiday. Some might not return......

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Mar 2006, 20:25
Water Company says it's OK as all Golf Course are metered, so they pay for what they use, just as any other industrial user.
So that's alright then . . .

So by that logic, households with meters can ignore the hosepipe ban?

Linda Smith was right about golf - it encourages tinto the countryside the sort of people who should stay in the towns. Golf courses are a townies idea of what the coutryside should be like - countryside with wipe-clean surfaces!

To me it just looks like a dam silly giant outdoor board game with its twee little bunkers and greens and daft sods driving themselves around in stupid little naff electric carts like so many dribbling OAPs. Tiddlywinks in the open air for the sartorially challenged!

Did you ever meet anyone worth talking to who plays golf? Me neither.

SSD

Loose rivets
14th Mar 2006, 20:46
there is a considerable amount (of water) which isn't recycled.

Mmmm....show me some of that, and I'll show you some of the air tha Caesar breathed.

Are you in
England
Shurley?

And don't call me Shurley!!!

con-pilot
14th Mar 2006, 20:59
Do I see a trend here?

First the fox hunting ban.

No smoking in pubs.

Now, ban golfing.:suspect:

BDiONU
14th Mar 2006, 21:24
Have you seen the clip of Robin Williams Live where he talks about Golf? Its brilliant (Warning Strong Language!) http://www.milkandcookies.com/archive/2004/10/08/

or
http://www.iamtheonewho.com/default.asp?action=videos
or
http://www.hourlydump.com/media/643_Robin_Williams_Golf.html

BD

BDiONU
14th Mar 2006, 21:25
Do I see a trend here?
First the fox hunting ban.
No smoking in pubs.
Now, ban golfing.:suspect:

No first you've GOT to ban all GA flying. No more Puddle Jumpers!

BD

con-pilot
14th Mar 2006, 22:26
Darn right you are! If a puddle must be jumped, one should use one's feet, not some infernal flying contraption.:p

1DC
14th Mar 2006, 22:37
Last time we had a ban on hosepipes it didn't apply to houses that were on metered supply.Mind you we are on a meter and don't water the lawn, the shrubs only when absolutely necessary. My neighbour, however, is not on a meter and regularly uses a lawn sprinkler for 24 hours continuous use..

surely not
15th Mar 2006, 00:02
aha Capn so you weedle some info out of me and then use it against me eh....................... duly noted for the future. You are obviosly a not to be trusted Golf fanatic:E :E :E

I might not be in the UK currently but those loved ones I left behind are still there and in an area that will be affected by hose pipe bans and is infested with golf courses.

by the way anything animal that moves where I am is generally eaten!!

Capn Notarious
15th Mar 2006, 06:53
Such is the dryness of the south east land, homes could be at risk of moving Shorehamup, Surely not.
Golf, not for me. Kite flying, or hang glider dog fighting. The difficulty lays with the pooch controlling the wing, while trying to bite the other hounds!!!!!!!!!

surely not
15th Mar 2006, 08:17
'tis a great relief to hear that golf is not your 'thing' Capn:) I had always assumed you to be more sensible than those who chase after pimpled balls. :ok:

Capn Notarious
15th Mar 2006, 08:27
pimpled balls
Ssh not too loud or the legendary chainsaw vascetomy surgeon might be awakened.

Gainesy
15th Mar 2006, 13:09
Golf courses are a townies idea of what the coutryside should be like - countryside with wipe-clean surfaces!
:ok: :ok: :ok:

Well said SSD, bloody green deserts.

Widger
15th Mar 2006, 13:13
I don't play Golf, Mrs Widger and I still have sex!!

Binoculars
15th Mar 2006, 13:18
I on the other hand love golf. Draw your own conclusions. :hmm:

sled dog
15th Mar 2006, 13:38
Nothing wrong with playing golf, we have plenty of foxes prowling the fairways at my club.......:E :cool: