PDA

View Full Version : SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS PILOTS

samueldethierry
13th Mar 2006, 18:33
I am not a fully qualified airline pilot yet myself, but i fly alot, as a passenger as well, and have noticed something VERY interesting. I have flown on many airlines and different aircraft, and have noticed something. SAA's Pilot's wherever and whenever i have flown on them land amazingly. In A319's, B747-400's, 737-800's, A340's (both -200's,300's and 600's). All the landings are so smooth, and i remember flying into Johannesburg from Cape Town recently on a lovely A319, i couldn't even feel the touchdown it was so smooth!

I have watched the planes land i and i have come to a provisional conclusion that it is an excellent flare technique, i mean compare it to people like BA europe and international! and even worse - RYANAIR - they're real bangers!

If i am wrong about the reason for SAA'S brilliant landings, please correct me. Why are other airlines in general much bumpier?

And lastly, has anyone else noticed this too?

Kittycat
13th Mar 2006, 18:55
Yes, I noticed it as well. I think SAA pilots are probably some of the best pilots in the industry. Just a pity that I cant say the same about SAA cabin crew. I know its probably generalization, but I found them quite rude over all...! I travel quite a lot, and they always rude or sarcastic.. (maybe its me?? :confused: )

phydeaux
13th Mar 2006, 19:18
Maybe its that they use AUTOLAND:}

Frogman1484
13th Mar 2006, 22:57
Yes I agree, It is true they are really amazing. Infact When I was flying to Cape Town the other day (as Pax obviously). It was raining outside and when I looked out of the window, the pilot was actually walking on water. That must be the fantastic Aquaplanning technique that only SAA pilots can master.

:} :\ ;)

ByAirMail
14th Mar 2006, 07:01
Maybe the fact that the S.A.A. A319 and the likes of B.A. /Comair fly to about 9 different destinations in their own back yard, generally in good weather with relaxed ( but professional) A.T.C help.
Lets see the pressure on the likes of Ryan air pilots. Number of destinations, weather at dest. VERY demanding A.T.C min. separation, traffic ahead, traffic behind, speed up, slow down, take high speed turn of etc, etc, etc, As we all know, a nice approach leads to a nice landing.
Clear me to land at 10 miles I might be able to do it more regularly as well.

Well that’s my excuse!!

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Mar 2006, 07:44
I have it on good authority that the crew seats are wired up with a TAZER linked to an accelerometer. Bumpy landings are usually followed by choked screams and the smell of burning hair from the flight deck.:E :ok:

hiflyerz
14th Mar 2006, 09:01
Landings are like foreplay.....Dry runway - pretty sh1t
..... Wet runway - wonderfull:E (if you don't slide off)

wheels up
14th Mar 2006, 16:31
I once saw an SAA pilot walk across water to rescue an injured swan....

reptile
14th Mar 2006, 16:52
Yep......the walk on water shoes get issued during the first week.

Paxed from dur to jnb today on a 738 - poor bugger must have lost his shoes. they did manage to get the door open - thus a good landing by definition.

SIC
17th Mar 2006, 17:01
Its all about confidence and illusion. If you believe so utterly that you are the best then you must be and then your pax must believe that too....

Never seen a pilot with a lack of self confidence make a good landing - therefore we all have something to learn from SAA pilots!!;)

james ozzie
17th Mar 2006, 19:39
It is true that Pax tend to judge pilots abilities by the smoothness of the landings, which is not a reflection of the pilots overall skills.
So I had to maintain perspective when my seat at the very back of cattle class went full IMC for a second or 2 as the main gear smoke billowed up past the cabin windows during a Qantas thumper into Sydney!
Yes, I have to agree, the SAA guys seem to grease the 74 in every time. Putting yourselves on a pedestal...

strong medicine
17th Mar 2006, 20:17
funny thing... ive been slagging saa off now for sometime for their bad landings after my last domestic flight.
they bounced so high i got a brief glimpse of australia's dismal performance at the wanderers before touching down again near the opposite threshold.
i had thought it was a bad landing, now i understand that this performance is encouraged as it saves on wear and tear on tires.
good effort guys,
keep it up.

The Flying Circus
24th Mar 2006, 16:01
You were obviously not on SA 183 from NBO to JNB last Sunday!!!!!!

Must admit that B 737- 800 is very strong!!!:ooh:

raviMK
24th Mar 2006, 18:33
Yes Samueldethierry!
I have noticed that too..Their approaches and short finals are very slow and the landing is just very smooth,gentle and perfect..Maybe it's a standard procedure at SAA to avoid any accident..Recently an A340-600 landed on Mauritius and the same smooth landing was observed..
Another practical observation is that SAA is always on time and the pilots never rush in take-off,taxi and landing operations...So,the flights are always smooth..:)

jagunmolu
25th Mar 2006, 23:21
really nice i think they from the threads are quite too GOOD,maybe the airplanes are so recent.....as against \ryan air aircraft,that are obsolete?????the pilots have to be the best SIC SIC....but the real issue is safrty not landings.lets get it straight...........and focused professionally toooooo..........

411 B
28th Mar 2006, 14:21
Did anyone ever see the footage of their first A340-600 landing in Johannesburg? Now that was a landing!!:\ :} :sad: :E

raviMK
28th Mar 2006, 18:12
SAA....Smooth African Aviation!

4HolerPoler
28th Mar 2006, 20:43
Ravi, don't you have anything to do, other than to write this mindless drivel? This thread is very close to being binned. Use it to praise or have a dig at them but please cut the cr@p.

4HP

PAXboy
28th Mar 2006, 22:57
Did anyone ever see the footage of their first A340-600 landing in Johannesburg? Now that was a landing!!
I sit to be corrected but ... was it not the case that the landing was so awkward that they had to get the media back the next day to stage it again? I gather there was a 'baloon' during the roll-put?

FO Gyro
29th Mar 2006, 20:46
Apparently it wasn't the fault of the flying pilot (SAA's Chief Pilot). The French pilot who was flying as the co-pilot, raised the flaps just as they touched down.
Autothrust is normally engaged (even during manual flight on a Airbus). The autothrust then applied instantaneous thrust to accelerate the aircraft to the new higher minimum flap manoeuvring speed.
The result was, what should have been a small bounce, became an embarrasing one and the aircraft lept into the air again. What was the Airbus French pilot thinking? The French pilot apologised to the Capt. for doing this.

SkYARRoW
3rd Apr 2006, 15:39
Did anyone ever see the footage of their first A340-600 landing in Johannesburg? Now that was a landing!!:\ :} :sad: :E

yes I've noticed that on various occassions-& that wat makes SAA pilots the best in the industry & thats not a fancy story..

Cant wait to see the superjumbo A380 aroundxxx

flyingmogul
3rd Apr 2006, 19:26
The walk on water technique is obviously perfected from 'them harvard days'...:} :} :}