PDA

View Full Version : Cherie's week-long series of lucrative speaking engagements.

MReyn24050
13th Mar 2006, 12:55
Just a thought.
It is reported that Cherie Blair is on a week-long series of lucrative speaking engagements to help paying for her's and Tony's monthly mortgage bill. The globe-trotting tour takes in the United Arab Emirates and the USA. Just a thought how much is this costing the UK Tax Payer? I am sure she is paying her own fair and accommodation but who is paying for her accompanying bodyguards?

lasernigel
13th Mar 2006, 13:08
Goes back to the New labour ethos...do as I say not as I do.His Tonyness said he'd cut out sleaze and make them squeaky clean.Down the line what have we got.
1.Peter Mandleson ....Twice reinstated three times resigned now in charge at Brussels.
2.David Blunkett....Out in the boondocks now but for how long??
3.Tessa Jowell...who seems to have a selective memory on how many morgage applications she signed and what they were for.
4. Many Lords a leaping after now it transpires loaning,not giving money to the Labour party.
5.John Prescott's free accomodation and exemption from council tax.
6.The Royal highnesses T&C Blair.Mortgaged upto the hilt,a wife who is basically paid by the taxpayer for fighting human rights cases that her husband signed up for on behalf of us!Decides to be Cherie Blair sometimes and Booth at others.Tho can still use stationary from No 10.

:yuk: :yuk: :mad: :mad: :yuk: :yuk:

Polikarpov
13th Mar 2006, 14:19
I think their mortgage outgoings are £16,000 a month or thereabouts, got to pay the bills somehow, eh?

Binoculars
13th Mar 2006, 14:30
Political partisanship tends to lead to anger, I know. I also see, as somebody as far away from UK politics as it's possible to get, that the mood against Blair on these forums would be appear to be in excess of 90%. This would appear, given that he has been in power for ten years, to indicate the mood of this bulletin board as opposed to the populace in general.

But that's fair enough. I would have thought that before this subject goes any further somebody should answer the question posed in the first post:
how much is this costing the UK Tax Payer?

It seems to me that to launch into a political tirade without having the facts at hand is a little premature. No? Or is it just an excuse for another anti-Blair rant?

I personally find the whole "speaking circuit" concept a nasty one, and I'm deeply suspicious of it. Who pays to hear these people speak, and why? Are they starf*ckers? Are they obsessed with power, and imagine some of it rubbing off on them by listening to prepared speeches by political has-beens? Whoever they are, they are, I hope, the ones who pay for the obscene amounts of money these ex-celebrities make by turning up.

However, if enough gullible idiots are prepared to pay Cherie Blair to take advantage of that as a private citizen, the vitriol being poured on her for doing so is a little puzzling. There should most certainly be limitations upon state money spent on such ventures, and if the good citizens of the UK were being asked to subsidise her expenses, an outcry would be justified.

But the partner of any head of state would not be allowed to go anywhere for any reason without protection. Are you going to use the cost of that protection only as an excuse to pur out hatred?

No doubt Astrodome will be along shortly to share his views on the situation. :hmm:

Low Flier
13th Mar 2006, 14:51
But the partner of any head of state would not be allowed to go anywhere for any reason without protection.

Blair is not a head of state.

If Ms Booth is incurring security costs in her business enterprise she should reimburse the taxpayers in full for every penny spent on her security.

It's different for Mr Blair. If he is travelling on government business in his duties as head of government, not for private profit, he should be provided with adequate security at our expense. As soon as he retires and goes on the rubber chicken circuit he too should pay for his security.

If she wants to go to the House of Lords, she should buy her peerage just like anyone else:uhoh:

Binoculars
13th Mar 2006, 15:04
Well, excuse my diplomatic inexactitude. You think Laura Bush would be allowed to go anywhere unprotected, even on private matters? Stick to the topic.

acbus1
13th Mar 2006, 15:09
What I don't understand is why anyone wants to listen to her in the first place, let alone pay for it! :confused:

Grainger
13th Mar 2006, 15:12
. . .the mood of this bulletin board as opposed to the populace in general. . .Actually bins, nearly two-thirds of those who voted didn't vote for Blair - Labour got in with only 35.2% of the vote.

Binoculars
13th Mar 2006, 15:16
and the obvious answer to that, as you well know, is that nobody scored better. Let's not get into a debate over proportional voting.

acbus1
13th Mar 2006, 15:24
Why not?

Lets take a vote!

slim_slag
13th Mar 2006, 15:29
Is she so outstanding as a lawyer that she could do this gig off her own back? Not just good, as most people in her line of work are clever enough to be good at their job, but would she stand out in the crowd if she hadn't married well?

Binoculars
13th Mar 2006, 15:30
So yet another potential source of useful debate slides off into irrelevancies. Nice one.

BTW, does anybody want to answer the original question asked about the cost to the taxpayer?

acbus1
13th Mar 2006, 15:37
.....would she stand out in the crowd if she hadn't married well?
I think her similarity, especially mouth-wise, to the female sheep rustler in Wallace & Gromit might give her a chance. :}

Edit post Google.......

http://www.escaner.cl/escaner10/mv6.jpg

Wendoline....that's her name....been wracking me brain.

Rushton
13th Mar 2006, 15:43
BTW, does anybody want to answer the original question asked about the cost to the taxpayer?

Apparently not - so can we get on with the irrelevancies?

In fact the similarity extends to all Walace and Grommit characters and a Royal Mail letter box.

EGLD
13th Mar 2006, 15:43
Apparently they are somewhere around £4million in debt, which just does not add up on their salaries.

It is suggested this luxury has been afforded them purely on the basis of who they are.....and their ability to earn from books and speaking engagements after his Tonyness has resigned.

acbus1
13th Mar 2006, 15:47
http://andersonstudio.homestead.com/files/cherieSMILER1.jpg

Crackin toast, Cherie!

Speeches.....toast......

Never mind. :(

Honey Trucker
13th Mar 2006, 15:53
How much did La Thatcher make out of her speaking tours and how much did she payback to the British taxpayer for her security entourage? Of course none of her family would ever have dreamed of making money out of the family name or links would they?

Binoculars
13th Mar 2006, 15:59
It should be disturbing to find how many mean-spirited, jealous and superficial people there are on this particular website, but for some reason it's not surprising at all.

Carry on with your hate-fest, gentlemen (and you are all men). I'll bow out thanks.

Polikarpov
13th Mar 2006, 16:26
On an oblique slant, one could say the real cost to the tax-payer is another blow to the integrity of office. The more the Blairs are reliant on future goodwill and popularity from certain domestic and foreign audiences and administrations for their nest-feathering, the more potential conflicts of interest there are with the office of Prime Minister. Given the reported level of financial commitments they’ve loaded themselves up with there’s a real danger that the requirement to keep an awful lot of people sweet manifests itself in abuses of power and influences policy.

Wyler
13th Mar 2006, 16:36
Supply & Demand. If people are daft enough to pay to listen to her then why should'nt she make a bob or two? As to cost to the taxpayer, well, how much is it costing us to send 'Liz' to Aus to visit the 6 people who still hang her picture in the dunny and wave at the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth games?

Rushton
13th Mar 2006, 16:38
We only sent Liz with a one-way ticket. You keep her we keep Kylie.

acbus1
13th Mar 2006, 17:17
And we'll throw in Charles for free.

Wyler
13th Mar 2006, 19:32
We'll keep Phil though cos he says all the stuff we'd like to but can't.

bigfatsweatysock
13th Mar 2006, 21:08
It should be disturbing to find how many mean-spirited, jealous and superficial people there are on this particular website, but for some reason it's not surprising at all.

Amen to that Brother Bino's.... :(

Onan the Clumsy
13th Mar 2006, 21:15
That was really very interesting :zzz: but isn't this a pilots website?

tony draper
13th Mar 2006, 21:20
That is a disgracefull slander acbus,Wendoline is not now and never has been a sheep rustler,hmm or is that libel.
:rolleyes:

bigfatsweatysock
13th Mar 2006, 21:26
Hoisted by my own petard.... :eek:

I am a pilot, what's your excuse Onan? :p

Astrodome
14th Mar 2006, 00:08
How much did La Thatcher make out of her speaking tours

Mrs Thatcher has hardly don eany speaking tours, but of course why let a few facts spoil a good Leftie hatefest ?.

To bring matters to a comparison for a start Dennis Thatcher, whose postion as married partner to the PM is similar to the Bliar witch, never went on speaking tours, and NEVER offered an opinion EVER on Politics.

Contrast this with the Bliars, He makes the Laws that She spends her time fighting !

She is also very ready and willing to pass comment on matters of Governance that are no concern of hers, and has absolutely no hesitation in using the position of Bliar to further her personal situation when it suits.

and how much did she payback to the British taxpayer for her security entourage?
Probably as much as your Royal Toniness Bliar will pay back?

Or is it just former Conservative leaders who draw this ire one wonders ??

benhurr
14th Mar 2006, 00:19
The government provides "administrative support" for Cherie Blair in her role as the prime minister's spouse, the Cabinet Office spokesman Lord Bassam of Brighton said. He also confirmed that, "on security grounds", Mrs Blair had been allocated a government car. Lord Bassam declined to disclose the cost of the car, to avoid indicating the level of security modifications made to it.

Kind of hard to find out how much she costs if they refuse to tell us. Dennis Thatcher used to travel on the bus.

The quote is from The Guardian so must be true

bigfatsweatysock
14th Mar 2006, 01:08
Mrs Thatcher has hardly don eany speaking tours, but of course why let a few facts spoil a good Leftie hatefest ?.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Deary me, all those $50,000 an appearance speaking engagements in Canada, USA, South America (especially Chile), Europe, the Middle East, Far East and Australia were obviously a figument of both my and her official biographer Charles Moore's imagination. Both she and John Major engaged in this sort of business after leaving office, she did so until ill health forced her to stop. They were also are provided with security paid for by the taxpayer. I doubt very much any of those security costs would have been paid back.

Don't make assumptions about my political beliefs, I detest Blair as much if not more than Thatcher.

You also made the error of assuming I was refering to Denis Thatcher - wrong again. I was more thinking of the Thatcher offspring, particularly that waste of space Mark Thatcher who made a few questionable but very very profitable business deals on the back of who his mother was.

As for Cherie, itis easy, and undeniably fun, to make cheap shots at Mrs Blair and mount the moral high horse every time her judgment falters, but the simple truth is that the media should not be given that option. If she is unable to wait for her husband’s imminent deposal to regale the world with the inside scoop on life at Number 10, at the very least Cherie could take her lead from her transatlantic buddy First Lady Laura Bush, and donate the proceeds of all Blair-related engagements to charity. Alternatively, she could follow time-honoured tradition and eschew the media spotlight, pursue her professional interests distinct from her husband’s position, and leave the kiss ‘n’ tells for the retirement lecture tour.

acbus1
14th Mar 2006, 07:09
That is a disgracefull slander acbus,Wendoline is not now and never has been a sheep rustler,hmm or is that libel.

A Close Shave

The story kicks off with a sinister looking truck passing Wallace's house. A sheep escapes from the truck, and pegs it into Wallace's via a dog-flap. The sheep eats everything, and the next morning Wallace and Gromit discover chewed Newspapers and pot plants, amongst other things.

A call for windows cleaners means that Wallace and Gromit spring into action, with a wicked Thunderbirds theme tune. They arrive at the wool shop in no time, and Gromit starts to clean the windows while Wallace tries to pull Wendoline. Preston - Wendoline's evil dog - catches Gromit's bungee and sends him flying.

They return home, only to find Wallace's porridge machine has been messed about with! Gromit discovers the sheep - and as he is cold, they run him through one of Wallaces latest inventions - the knit-O-matic, which also washes and dries. The machine shaves the sheep bald - and uses his wool to make a Groovy tank-top jumper. They call the sheep Shaun (get it!) and they put the jumper on him.

At this point all of the girls in my year fall in love with him, saying he is the cutest thing they have ever seen. Indeed. Anyway - on with the story....

The next day, Wallace and Gromit are cleaning the town hall clock. Wallace is once again chatting up Wendoline (owner of the wool shop) and Gromit hears sheep Baaring. He sees the sheep in a lorry - and rescues them. Deciding to investigate - he peers through a hole in the wall However - Preston takes a photo of him in an unfortunate pose - and Gromit is convicted of doing all of the sheep smuggling!

He is bored - doing a jigsaw puzzle when he puts the last piece in - and discovers that there is a message written on the puzzle. Someone is going to rescue him! Shawn appears and Gromit escapes.

They are helping Gromit to flee the Country when they see Wendoline and Preston stealing more sheep! Preston turns on his mistress and locks her in the truck. Wallace and Gromit go after them - but they are rammed by the truck - and Gromit goes over a cliff. He pushes all the buttons on his sidecar - and it spouts wings! The plane soars up and pelts the truck with porridge! Preston breaks suddenly, and Wallace and his acrobatic sheep are flung into the lorry!

Preston has modified Wallace's Knit'O'matic so it also Cannes things! Wallace complains that he had Patent Pending on that! Gromit bursts through in his plane - and pushes Preston into the machine!

But the dog fights his way out - he is a robo-dog! Gromit bravely pushes him into the mincer - the dog is no more. A week later, Wendoline calls at 62 West Wallaby Street - Wallace has fixed Preston up and turned him into a good dog. However - it is not a happy ending, Wendoline hates cheese! There is clearly no future for the pair, but Wallace looks on the bright side - there's more for him and Wallace!