PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago today

BlooMoo
13th Mar 2006, 09:51
Just dropped my own 6 year old at her primary school here in Scotland this morning - can't stop thinking about her just now.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/13/newsid_2543000/2543277.stm
Can't think of anything to say which doesn't sound inadequate.
RIP

BlueWolf
13th Mar 2006, 10:08
I can think of plenty of things to say, many of which will probably stir up a controversy which Proone neither deserves nor wants.

LowNSlow
13th Mar 2006, 10:28
Thanks to the knee-jerk reaction of the Guvmint, because a nutcase with illegal weapons committed this disgusting crime, legitimate gun owners across the UK lost a favourite sport and a lot of their prized possessions.

Lon More
13th Mar 2006, 10:39
Low'n'Slow I suggest you read the article again and edit your post.
Hamilton had six licenced guns. Major was the PM at the time; I don't think he could ever be accused of doing anything controversial.

strafer
13th Mar 2006, 11:00
I agree with BlooMoo, the horror of that day goes beyond any words. I remember watching the news and just being dumbfounded. Even watching 9/11 unfold didn't have the same impact as that day.

I wasn't a parent then, but now my son is the same age as those poor kids. It's hard to even try to imagine what those parents went through/are going through. One of the children has the AA Milne poem on his headstone, "When I was Five, I was just alive. But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever. So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever". The poignancy of that is almost unbearable.

I was going to post a reply to LownSlow, but I don't think today at least, this thread should turn into a pro/anti rant about gun control.

airborne_artist
13th Mar 2006, 11:09
Dunblane was nine years after Hungerford, and there was no other choice open to Major that was acceptable to the vast majority of the electorate.

Unwell_Raptor
13th Mar 2006, 11:12
That's the political axiom, enthusiastically taken up by Blair, of "do something, however stupid, but do something that will look good in the tabloids".

phnuff
13th Mar 2006, 11:13
According to Wikipedia, up and coming tennis star Andrew Murray, then 8, was hiding under a desk at the school as the massacre happened although he cannot remember it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Murray_(tennis_player)

Lon More
13th Mar 2006, 11:18
Strafer, that AA Milne poem has to be one of the most moving pieces I have ever read.
At the time I was a member of a gun club. I sold my guns back to the gun shop and have never felt any inclination to start again.

Loose rivets
14th Mar 2006, 03:52
My old gun club pals wanted me to go on a march, but somehow, I just could not bring myself to go. Although I carried on shooting here for a while, it was never the same again.

It was the widower doctor, that lost his daughter on that fateful day, that seemed to cross some sort of line.

One of the more disturbing factors, was the repeated advice given and ignored, that the man should not hold a F.A.Cert. on the grounds of his state of mind.

Having said this, the other side of the coin....

It is a shame that keen sportsmen / women had their hobby taken away, but perhaps more importantly, I wonder if we should, as a people, give way in the face of adversity. Although I hope not, a fighting spirit as a nation may be important again one day, and a people that can't even practice for Olympic events on their own soil, seem perhaps disadvantaged in more ways than one.

Low Flier
14th Mar 2006, 04:44
Low'n'SlowMajor was the PM at the time; I don't think he could ever be accused of doing anything controversial.

He ate peas. That was controversial at the time. Ask Norma.

nutcracker43
14th Mar 2006, 06:19
Strafer.

Thanks for the words of the poem...truly moving stuff.

NC43