PDA

View Full Version : Canberra Airport andf ASIC's

chief wiggum
12th Mar 2006, 10:36
Was watching the news today, when I noticed that the Queen had arrived in YSCB.

What I also noticed was the plethora of "dignataries" there to greet her as she stepped off the plane...AIRSIDE!

There wasn't an ASIC card to be seen, and last time I checked, CB is an RPT airport. Maybe a "head of state" is exempt, but I am pretty sure that a "chief minister" and his wife aren't exempt from security requirements.

Is it the fact that she arrived on a RAAF Base that precludes the requirement for an ASIC ? or are John Howard and his entourage "above the law"?

Capt Claret
12th Mar 2006, 17:45
Chief,

I'd go with the latter. :mad:

Dehavillanddriver
12th Mar 2006, 20:35
I thought that RAAF Fairbairn had been disestablished - meaning that it wasn't a RAAF base anymore - but I stand to be corrected.

apache
12th Mar 2006, 22:55
What I found amusing about the TV coverage, indeed the whole event, was the Army chap in Camouflage... with a High Vis vest!

bit of a contradiction?

tipsy2
12th Mar 2006, 22:59
No problem, they all applied for an ASIC before 31/12/05 and are now waiting for CASA/AFP/ASIO/DoTARS/Kellogs to deliver said ASIC before the 31/3/06 extension expires.

tipsy:ok:

Pass-A-Frozo
13th Mar 2006, 00:32
I thought it was no longer a base, but is "RAAF Establishment Fairbairn".
No airside pass for RAAF land.

nannas_new_hip
13th Mar 2006, 06:47
DEFENCE Establishment Fairbairn ;)

Frank Burden
13th Mar 2006, 23:29
There must be a procedure for special events. Surely not anyone could get airside without going through some form of security. Suspect all DOTARS Office of Transport Security staff were on hand to ensure that the aviation security regulations were not breached (but if you saw them then they would have been sent off for retraining).