PDA

View Full Version : NZ Standard Radio Phraseology

FlareArmed
12th Mar 2006, 07:27
In the UK, there is a document called the CAP 14 which details radio phraseology. In Australia, the AIP lists the local requirements.
Does anyone know the reference for standard radio phraseology in New Zealand. The NZ AIP on the web does not seem to contain this information. What reference do NZ pilots and controllers use?

Skydrol_ise
12th Mar 2006, 08:27
Isnt it something like this :-
thick = thuck
six = sux
pen = pin
fish = fush
chips = chups
And I dont want to see any sheep jokes on this thread :E :E

Turbo 5B
12th Mar 2006, 08:41
Not even ones like "why do kiwis call their sheep Marty?" ?

Captain Starlight
12th Mar 2006, 09:44
Skydrol

You're getting close,

but you need to understand that as there are no vowels in Kiwi English, wherevever a vowel occurs in UK English,US English, or even Ozzie English,

in NZ speak one simply substitutes an apostrophe, i.e. wherever "a" "e" "i" 'o" or "u" appears in normal English, just insert " ' "

Hence, you are close with fish, "fush", but it is really pronounced "f'sh", similarly tent, pronounced "t'nt" etc.

The word "Six" is often very confusing, sometimes sounding like sex, sometimes sux, but if you can remember the syntax, it is really "s ' x"

At one time it was considered a good idea to hand Kiwi's a packet containing the five vowels and suggestions on their useage when they first registered with Centre Link, but the idea was abandoned.

steinycans
12th Mar 2006, 11:12
Hi. youre looking for Advisory Circular AC91-9

Go to www.caa.govt.nz go to the rules&more section. under Current rules click on Advisory circulars (AC). then, under Part 91 – General Operating and Flight Rules, click on Radiotelephony Manual (244 KB) and there you have it.

pakeha-boy
12th Mar 2006, 19:26
starlight,starbright...you can kiss my "vowel "tonight......very cheeky mate

scrambler
12th Mar 2006, 20:58
Turbo I thought it was Come Arty but I see the Come Marty now

Turbo 5B
12th Mar 2006, 22:01
Marty....Arty.. still works the same.

tipsy2
12th Mar 2006, 23:02
Anybody seen Baaaaaaarry recently?

tipsy

whiteknuckleairlines
13th Mar 2006, 07:58
Holy crap! What is the old saying........."people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"?

Seen Kath and Kim lately?........

Cloud Cutter
13th Mar 2006, 08:43
Ridiculous isn't it. Anyone with a good command (that's a long, soft, 'a' fellas) of the English language should be able to isolate the sharp, obnoxious twang only found in the Australian accent.

DX Wombat
13th Mar 2006, 14:38
In the UK, there is a document called the CAP 14 which details radio phraseology.
Er, that would be CAP 413 a publication guaranteed to cure insomnia. :bored: ;) Air Law books make thrilling reading in comparison with it.