PDA

View Full Version : The Old past masters

cortilla
12th Mar 2006, 01:56
It may be my bad luck, but i only seem to catch on to the really great music masters after they have recently passed. My best examples of this are Johnny cash and Jeff Buckley. Whilst many people may disagree with these people being phenomenal musicians, to be honest, i dont care.

Could people recommend me musicians who are alive today (or for that matter recently passed), who will be thought of in 50 years time to be one of the greats of my time on this wee green and blue planet (just so i don't miss out again).

actually i know who several of the phenomenal ones are, but i'd love to discuss the point. And me starting this post, my perogative, let's stick to individual artists instead of bands.

Jerricho
12th Mar 2006, 02:02
Mark Knopfler (probably half way there already)

Ozzy
12th Mar 2006, 05:52
not including bands is not good. But it's your thread...

Ozzy

Bahn-Jeaux
12th Mar 2006, 09:22
Sadly not here anymore but listen to Eva Cassidy.
She has the most amazing powerful voice yet can sing so tenderly.
Not all of her songs are to my taste as she sang such a broad range.

My favourite is Songbird.

You may have heard her without realising it.
She sings fields of gold which is used on the Cancer advertisements.
She died of Cancer herself at an early age and found acclaim after she died.

Capn Notarious
12th Mar 2006, 09:47
Eric Clapton Six string guitar . Jack Bruce Bass guitar & harmonica . Ginger Baker Drums and percussion .
Cream Just buy the Albert Hall 2005 DvD Concert. Then write your appraisal here.

acbus1
12th Mar 2006, 09:48
I really wish Andrea Bochelli would spend more time on "modern" (last seventy years, say) music which suits his amazing voice.

He seems to love the tired old (IMHO) operatic stuff. Bores the pants off me and doesn't bring out the best aspects of his talent.

Bahn-Jeaux
12th Mar 2006, 09:54
Bocelli and Sarah Brightman duet, Time to say Goodbye....amazing, makes my hair stand on end.

brickhistory
12th Mar 2006, 09:57
Mark Knopfler is already mentioned, but he'd get my vote as well.

Also Chris Rea is in the running in my book.

tony draper
12th Mar 2006, 10:29
For my generation Hank Marvin.
:rolleyes:
He was a Geordie yer know,as of course is Mr Knopfler,summat about geordies that makes us skilled with yer guitar.

BlooMoo
12th Mar 2006, 10:53
summat about geordies that makes us skilled with yer guitar.

...yeah, well developed wrist muscles;)

Whirlygig
12th Mar 2006, 12:32
For a fabulous female voice (and better than Eva Cassidy IMHO and, this is praise, the late, great Sandy Denny) try Judy Collins.

Christy Moore is still alive and he did much (along with The Chieftains) to bring Irish music to the prominance it enjoys today. Van Morrison would also come into that category.

Cheers

Whirls

cortilla
16th Mar 2006, 04:27
Just found another one

Nina Simone.

Have to agree on adrea bocelli, although i really don't like the duet with sarah brightman, but love the original, but that's only my personal preference

tinpis
16th Mar 2006, 04:38
Ella Fitzgerald.

Binoculars
16th Mar 2006, 04:51
Pat Metheny, Sarah McLachlan.

Huck
16th Mar 2006, 05:16
http://cbunting.ecen.ceat.okstate.edu/rush_neal_peart.jpg

tinpis
16th Mar 2006, 05:20
Don Ellis big band.

Kurt Elling
" It's imperative we be somewhat more truly demonstrative
in becoming provocative.
Our parents neglect God, it's true - all their world is askew."

scruggs
9th May 2006, 15:54
http://dailyrefill.blogs.com/daily/images/story_pic-thumb.jpg
Nothing else needs to be said!

tony draper
9th May 2006, 16:04
I remember the first time I heard Knopfler,late at night pottering about Old Grey Whistle Test on in the background and heard those opening riffs of Sultans of Swing,bet everybody who played or loves listening to guitar must have stopped dead, there was something unique in what he was doing,think it was the first telly appearence, lets face it the man can't sing for toffee but boy can he make a Strat sing.
:cool:

pigboat
9th May 2006, 16:13
Another vote for Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton.

Emmylou Harris. Google the new Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris cd. I have heard just the one track but I agree with The Montreal Gazette music reviewer, instant classic.

I'd agree with you about Johnny Cash. I'm old enough to remember the original I Walk The Line and Ballad Of A Teenage Queen, but I believe Cash got better as he aged. Maybe he reached the point where he could say screw it, I'll record the stuff I want to, whether it's a commercial success or not. His cover of Nine Inch Nails "Hurt" makes my hair stand on end.

If you like real western music, as opposed to the stuff where you get your truck, dog and wife back if you play it backwards, google Ian Tyson, at stoney plain records. Ian's an old bugger, in his 70's but still runs a working cattle operation near Longview, Alberta.

planepsycho
9th May 2006, 16:24
I'm going to have to go with Neil Young:ok:
IMHO

bar fly
9th May 2006, 16:27
Another vote for Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton

Going to see Eric Clapton tonight in Manchester for the first time and can't wait. Wouldn't call myself a huge fan, but am making an effort to see this sort of act whilst you still can (saw Bob D a while back - he's alive by the way). Don't know all the songs, just the famous ones but the excitment of seeing a legend makes it worthwhile no matter what he chooses to play.

These legends dont half charge a fair old whack for the tickets but i guess they've earned it - even if the buggers dont need it!

Buster Cherry
9th May 2006, 16:32
Agree with Neil Young.
Hendrix (goes without saying)
Buddy Guy, BB King, Muddy Waters...
More recent...Gotta have Satriani, Stevie Via, & Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Sadly, can`t think of anyne who has emerged over the last decade who deserves a mention.

bar fly
9th May 2006, 16:36
Cortilla said individual artists only and I didn't want to get into trouble :{

Taildragger55
9th May 2006, 16:37
Eminem, Snoop Doggy Dog, Robbie Williams...
You're right, I'm joking. :yuk:

Buster Cherry
9th May 2006, 16:41
Eminem, Snoop Doggy Dog, Robbie Williams...
You're right, I'm joking. :yuk:

Thank :mad: for that!! :ok:

Forgot to mention `ol Satchmo`

Lon More
9th May 2006, 16:45
Lynyrd Skynyrd (http://www.lynyrdskynyrd.com/)

There's an aviation connection too :(

BombayDuck
9th May 2006, 17:49
Jerricho forgot Bryan Adams! :}

I've seen Satriani live, and he is BRILLIANT.

Wish i could include Gilmour and Bono in this list, both are brilliant....

matkat
9th May 2006, 18:01
For my generation Hank Marvin.
He was a Geordie yer know,as of course is Mr Knopfler,summat about geordies that makes us skilled with yer guitar.
Sorry Tony but am afraid Mark hails from My neck of the woods ah just something about Us Jocks and music:}
http://www.mark-knopfler-news.co.uk/biogs/mark.html

tony draper
9th May 2006, 18:08
As one has mentioned on another thread, he and his family escaped across the border when he was very young and he was brought up a proper Geordie,fortunatly he was to young to remember so he suffered no mental trama resulting from his very early years in that place.

Buster Cherry
9th May 2006, 18:20
Mr Draper,
You seem to have forgotten other Geordie greats such as...
Jimmy Nail, Robson Green & Gazza!!!:eek:
On a serious note, Eric Burden, Chas Chandler, Alan Price & the brilliant Alan Hull.(not sure if they can be mentioned as solo`s though) Do more than enough to sure the crediblity of northeastern Greats.

BenThere
9th May 2006, 18:25
Never heard of Bob Marley until after he passed into the ether. When I did discover him, for a time his was the only CD in my player. Wasn't he technically a POM?

G-CPTN
9th May 2006, 18:29
Jamaican a joke man?
Bob Marley was born on Tuesday, February 6 1945 in the small village of Nine Miles, Saint Ann, Jamaica. His father, Norval Sinclair Marley, was born in Jamaica in 1895 to English parents who originated from Sussex, south east England. Norval Sinclair Marley was a Marine officer and captain,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Marley

tony draper
9th May 2006, 18:30
Indeed dying young is a definate plus to ones career in the world of popular culture.
Frinstance if one a singer of popular songs, one would be very reluctant to step into one of those small aircraft thingies.
:uhoh:

BenThere
9th May 2006, 18:34
That's what I meant. Aren't Jamaicans still subjects?

White Bear
9th May 2006, 18:57
I understand that one evening Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana shared a stage.
I would have paid a pretty penny to listen to those two Masters…..
Regards,
W.B.

tall and tasty
9th May 2006, 19:20
Oh got excited thought another thread on art and then realised it was the muscial art and not the old masters!

Love Eric Clapton, wish (ok I know no bands) but Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Boston, the list is endless) Stevie Nicks I love her stuff especailly "Your so vain", Aerosmith but again big bands from an era gone, Pink Floyd, Queen.

TnT :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
9th May 2006, 20:25
John Hiatt, Leo Kottke, Ry Cooder, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez.

tall and tasty
9th May 2006, 20:29
planepsycho - thank you for that correction. Another amazing female artist that unless you were around you do not hear her music very much.

http://www.carlysimon.com/music/Lyrics/index.shtml

Beats the Girls aloud etc of this day and age (ok the buys on here will say differently) but you look at Susie Quatro and her guitar playingto me is more than girls singing that have been manufactured

TnT

handysnaks
9th May 2006, 20:33
I don't mind the flack but you have to include Paul Simon, Bowie, Prince and David Byrne. Also have to have Bob Dylan (as mentioned).

Didn't Suzi Quatro play the Bass (and can we call 'that' a guitar)!

G-CPTN
9th May 2006, 20:48
What about Diana and Tina?

PLovett
10th May 2006, 02:12
Joni Mitchell & Marianne Faithfull on the female side.:ok:

Lou Reed & the aforementioned Jeff Buckley on the male side. :ok:

But really there are heaps of others so long as they do original work.

jet_noseover
10th May 2006, 02:23
Frank Sinatra - classic!
:ok:

Smeagol
10th May 2006, 13:20
I have heard it rumoured that Mr Mozart is dead. An he was THE best.

tony draper
10th May 2006, 13:22
Dusty Springfield, she had a cracking husky voice,great chantress,only one who came close to Peggy Lee IMHO

G-CPTN
10th May 2006, 13:28
Nina Simone.

And who sang 'Hair':-
Her version of "Ain't Got No/I Got Life", a medley from the 60s musical Hair,

frostbite
10th May 2006, 16:08
Used to have a thing for Mirrielle Matheu (sp?)

But she was French!

G-CPTN
10th May 2006, 16:10
It's those girlies with deep voices that does it for me.
REAL girlies, mind, none of yer 'Dames'.

flugholm
10th May 2006, 16:14
Dick Dale.
T. V. Smith.
And, yes, John Lydon.

barit1
10th May 2006, 18:45
Artie Shaw (http://www.jazzhouse.org/gone/lastpost2.php3?edit=1104549577) lived to 94, but his music goes on forever. :cool:

Hobo
11th May 2006, 07:28
Cat Power particularly her "The Covers Record" and her version of Bob Dylan's "Paths of victory" ...best ever.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004NHDY/qid=1147328526/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/202-4626119-4006224

Mississippi John Hurt (just had to mention him although he's no longer with us)... Just an old man and a guitar singing the blues...wonderfull

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000521QI/qid=1147328582/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/202-4626119-4006224