PDA

View Full Version : Working in India

TeacherGuy
11th Mar 2006, 19:10
Greetings,

As I understand it India only allows expat Captains to work there for the booming airlines. Both my parents were born in India and I have heard this makes me eligible as a non-resident Indian. Would I still be eligible to work there as a F/O on NRI status?

Cheers,

- Sunny

masalama
12th Mar 2006, 01:32
hey teacher guy,

A non resident Indian is an Indian national(passport holder) residing in a foreign country.I think that you would come under the PERSON of INDIAN ORIGIN(PIO) category.That's a new scheme where a few privelages are accorded to people like yourself,mainly property rights as far as I understand. I guess you're a canadian citizen?

You would have to check up with your nearest Indian Embassy/consulate
as to process of getting one and employment privelages on the PIO card.
Any additions/corrections????
masalama.

vagabond 47
12th Mar 2006, 02:47
hey teacher guy,

You would have to check up with your nearest Indian Embassy/consulate
as to process of getting one and employment privelages on the PIO card.
Any additions/corrections????
masalama.

In other words slip him a bit under the counter......do the same in Delhi and you will not have to worry about F/O Status, instant IRE/TRE.
Cheers.

TeacherGuy
12th Mar 2006, 14:43
hi, yes I am a Canadian citizen..

iv) All PIOs, including PIO Card holders, shall enjoy parity with NRIs in respect of all facilities available to the latter in the economic, financial and educational fields except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties

v) Can take up employment in India without seeking any separate permission from the Government, unless otherwise specifically provided for by other Ministries/Departments

:)

Happy Landings,

-S

Nevrekar
12th Mar 2006, 23:08
You are better off applying for OCI--Overseas Indian Citizenship. It is the newest thing. A quasi dual citizenship. It will cost you $275 USD. Once you get it, you will get an OCI card and a stamp on your passport. You will never need a visa for India and you dont have to register with the authorities for prolonged stay. You cant't vote, run for office or get involved in politics!