PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix 2006 thread

Wedge
11th Mar 2006, 13:12
Looks like Ferrari are back then......

Can someone explain the new qualifying rules please? I saw the end of the session, looks much better, back to slow traffic on the circuit, lots of cars out at once etc.

Farmer 1
11th Mar 2006, 13:22
First two sessions are simple enough: 15 minutes available, slowest 6 cars are out; 5 minutes later, another 15 minutes available, slowest 6 cars are out.

The third session I don't fully understand, other that it lasts 20 minutes and is for the remaining 10 cars, and the car with the fastest lap takes pole, etc.

They can refuel for the first two sessions, but that's where things become more complicated in the final session. It does mean that if you leave the track in the first session, for instance, and can't get back on, la Raikkonen, then you are out.

Certainly, today's was the most exciting qualifying I remember, thanks mainly to Raikkonen.

Paranoid Parrot
11th Mar 2006, 13:56
Last session:

20 minutes. Fuel up to start of race fuel. Fuel used during last 20 minutes can be replaced before start of race. Therefore it makes sense to burn off a bit of fuel to reduce weight before going for fastest lap. At some point put on new tyres for best grip and go for fastest lap. Final lap can exceed the 20 minutes, as was the case with multi car qualifying some years ago, as long as it is started before the ckeckered flag goes out. After qualifying the cars can be refuelled to fuel amount at start of last 20 minute session for the race.

Very exciting stuff. Massive improvement on previous years.

11th Mar 2006, 14:38
Boring sport.

Moto GP starts next month.....real racing.

sled dog
11th Mar 2006, 16:59
Well said 5150
F1 has been boring for years. If Rossi does move to four wheels he will take a bit of humour into F1 ( and out drive most of the Prima Donna`s ). 300 + kms/hr on two wheels, now that takes huge b**ls. To any unbelievers, watch Moto GP and be converted.
Now, where are the keys to my Vincent Black Shadow ? :) :ok:

Maxbert
11th Mar 2006, 19:58
With you both, 5150 and sled dog- Gave up on F1 about 6 years ago, also switched to MotoGP, biggest advantage is 3 races for the price of 1! :ok:

TUGNBAR
11th Mar 2006, 19:59
New Quali rules a little bit confusing but will take time getting use to, I think it will certainly bring back the excitement as we do not know anyone's stratergies.
Fingers crossed for JB lets hope this is his year.:ok:

Maxbert
11th Mar 2006, 20:02
Fingers crossed for JB lets hope this is his year.

:confused: JetBlast has a team??? There is a driver sponsored by / called JetBlast? :confused: :E

TUGNBAR
11th Mar 2006, 20:05
:confused: JetBlast has a team??? There is a driver sponsored by / called JetBlast? :confused: :E
JB JENSON BUTTON:hmm:

Farmer 1
11th Mar 2006, 20:44
Psssssssssst - Tugnbar! Irony alert!

tinpis
11th Mar 2006, 20:57
Vat iss in der pocket Stirlink?
http://www.germancarfans.com/classics/5040825.001/5040825.001.1M.jpg
Lucky old bugger never to have won a world title.

Maxbert
11th Mar 2006, 20:57
Sigh- :rolleyes: If I had the skill, time and patience, not to mention more blood in my alcohol steam, I'd attempt, cack-handedly, to create a JB Photoshop special F1 2006... Maybe Farrell can oblige, or Capt Hollywood, over in Rotorheads... :ok:

Cuddles
11th Mar 2006, 22:11
All I can say is

STOP THE COCK

G-CPTN
12th Mar 2006, 00:44
Saw Red Bull have a slogan - "Gives you wind."

Jerricho
12th Mar 2006, 02:23
STOP THE COCK

:ok:

James Allen.......you suck.

acbus1
12th Mar 2006, 11:13
Caption to the pic...

SM - "OK, that's the left shoulder off, now where's that bra-a-a-a-a stra-a-a-a-a-p *snap* heeee.... gorrit!" :E

airship
12th Mar 2006, 11:17
It sounds like a lot of exciting stuff goes on during those 3 "practice" sessions. Wouldn't it make sense to show them instead of the GP? I might just be able to stay awake for 50 minutes too...

Fish Out of Water
12th Mar 2006, 11:22
What I want to know is what happend to the evil elf Jim Rosenthal? :confused:

Wedge
12th Mar 2006, 11:25
Rosenthal fortunately left at the end of last season, to be replaced by the excellent Steve Rider.

Unfortunately, that utter moron James Allen is still the chief commentator despite my complaint to ITV at the end of last season........

Kestrel_909
12th Mar 2006, 11:30
Rosenthal fortunately left at the end of last season, to be replaced by the excellent Steve Rider.
Unfortunately, that utter moron James Allen is still the chief commentator despite my complaint to ITV at the end of last season........

...and my signing of the petition. I wonder how Martin stands him?

Good to see Grim Rosenthal has gone, and Steve's more 'hands on approach.'

jammydonut
12th Mar 2006, 11:33
Back again for another season of scripted boredom......
Introduce "stuck accelerators and no brakes" I say..........let Bernie stand in the middle of the track to wave the chequered flag.... :bored:

TUGNBAR
12th Mar 2006, 13:32
F1 is back:ok: shame Jenson forgot to press the big green GO "button" on his steering wheel at the start:O

Lon More
12th Mar 2006, 14:03
It looks like it may be a bit more interesting this year.
ITVs failings continue on their website. They even managed to get the results wrong, showing Coulthard as 9th and Massa as 10th

spekesoftly
12th Mar 2006, 15:37
Good race, plenty of action. Full marks to Nico Rosberg on his debut, and once again Raikkonen managed to carve his way from the back of the grid, to finish on the podium. Fine win for Alonso and Renault.

Just a shame that the last 15 laps or so were interrupted by an increasing number of ad breaks on ITV :(

G-CPTN
12th Mar 2006, 17:32
What I want to know is what happend to the evil elf Jim Rosenthal? :confused:

Mrs G-CPTN reckoned he was a lizard. Perhaps he's been recalled to Planet X?

wbryce
12th Mar 2006, 23:20
Top marks to Roseburg! A few more races like that and...Alonsos replacement at Renault perhaps?

Then Alonso in is his new pride and joy can watch from the pitwall after 'yet another (insert appropriate) failure'. You would think McLaren hadn't done any testing! Or is Bernie paying them entertainment tokens?

Kimi in a Ferrari! A consistent driver needs a consistent car!

G-CPTN
12th Mar 2006, 23:30
IMHO Schumie made two tactical errors (that lost him the race). The first was when he spun whist attempting a foolish overtaking manoueuvre, and the second was trying to outrun Alonso when he came out of the Pits after his second stop. If he'd pulled BEHIND him he could have taken him on the inside and out-dragged him out of the corner. The guy's slipping.

spekesoftly
13th Mar 2006, 01:59
The first was when he spun whist attempting a foolish overtaking manoueuvre .....

Either I missed that, or you're confusing Schumie with his team mate Massa, who nearly took out Alonso in the process?

Expat Country Member
13th Mar 2006, 08:29
Be grateful for what you've got - Rosy, Rider or whoever.

Got set up perfectly here, afternoon off work, pub with huge screen, nibbles and dedicated bar tender..............

...commentary was in Arabic (could have been good or bad ???)

Does focus the mind on watching whats going on. At one moment, called a mate in blighty and asked him to leave his phone by the telly and put mine on speaker - his initial comment : "You really want to listen to the adverts???!"

Just hope that the local TV sorts out the English commentary by next week.

tall and tasty
13th Mar 2006, 10:05
shame Jenson forgot to press the big green GO "button" on his steering wheel at the startJenson - held first for a short while ( or was I mistaken?) but finishing fourth was not so bad. He explained the reason at the start.

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4799428.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4799428.stm)

Enjoyed it right down to the tech failure with the airgun causing retirement.

BBC Quote:Alonso had a scare when Massa spun behind him on lap eight and nearly collided with the Renault at the first corner, and the Spaniard had to fight hard to keep Schumacher's lighter Ferrari in sight during the first stint.

Well worth staying up late but agree with the too many ad breaks

TnT

Rushton
13th Mar 2006, 10:33
Liven F1 up by having the old (british) Stock Car rule. If yer keep on winning you get upgraded. The higher the grade the further back on the grid yer start from. At least there would be more overtaking and prangs.

thomay
13th Mar 2006, 10:43
The race was, except for a few dull moments, quite interresting, well, at least compared to the last few years...

Hey, Gulf Air flew a pre-race display with its airliners! Anybody with a link to some footage? The local news channel only showed a 2.38583 second sequence last night...

t

High Wing Drifter
13th Mar 2006, 11:15
I thought it was great race. Plenty of will he, won't he moments with some really good moves. I didn't watch F1 last year, but this opener is a million times better than 2004's dire effort.

I've noticed that Shumi often (but not always) looses it when he's under real pressure. Anybody notice that his line was a shambles once Alonso was in front.

Lon More
13th Mar 2006, 11:45
Fisi's outburst (http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3375_1080347,00.html) certainly livened things up:D Pity it got edited out

A ten place penalty on DC for the next race seems a bit unfair, especially as the DNFs don't get penalized

ExSimGuy
13th Mar 2006, 12:03
Hey - You should have been watching in USA - "Speed Channel" seemed to have a 5-minute ad-break every 15 or 20 minutes! Maybe it was so the bookieshere could give odds on who would be leading when the racing came back on :eek:

Have to admit cheering for the Frenchies and a Spanish driver towards the end - yep, I'll stoop that low to see the red car and the Kraut driver beaten :E

Unlucky Fizzi, with his hydraulics (wot was wrong with throttle cables? :confused: ) And the driver whose rear suspension died rather dramatically.

All in all though, a good race that was worth getting up at 5 a.m. for:oh: (East Coast time)

AeroSpark
13th Mar 2006, 15:54
Liven F1 up by having the old (british) Stock Car rule. If yer keep on winning you get upgraded. The higher the grade the further back on the grid yer start from. At least there would be more overtaking and prangs.

I've often thought it would be a lot more interesting if there were two slightly shorter races. The first one as per normal, but the second one starting with reversed grid positions. That should sort the men out from the boys (or at least the Minardis from the Mclarens):ok:

G-CPTN
13th Mar 2006, 15:57
Either I missed that, or you're confusing Schumie with his team mate Massa, who nearly took out Alonso in the process?

You're right!
Blame Alka Selters . . .

(Well they're both red . . . )

G-CPTN
13th Mar 2006, 17:28
Fisi's outburst (http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3375_1080347,00.html) certainly livened things up:D Pity it got edited out

A purely technical term!
John Bolster (remember him?) running along the pit-lane with a hundredweight of electrical gear on his back, as John Aley was examining the steaming remains of a Mini engine, sticks his head under the bonnet, alongside JA, thrusts the microphone towards JA and asks "What's the matter, John?"
JA replies "It's fcuked!"
Back to the studio . . .

spekesoftly
18th Mar 2006, 11:23
Qualifying for Sunday's Malaysian GP has produced an interesting grid line-up, with Fisichella on Pole, Button 2nd, and the Williams pair of Rosberg and Webber on 3rd and 4th. Not a good day for the Schumacher brothers, with Michael starting from 10th position, and Ralf from last.

Good to see Cosworth and Williams on form, after recent years in the doldrums, and Frank must be delighted with his latest driver, Nico.

Jordan D
19th Mar 2006, 09:10
Race wasn't up to par with last weekend - tbh I did fall asleep during it. Shall not mention the results here, in case people are reading this before they watch a rerun/taped version. (why they'd do that heaven knows).

Jordan

G-CPTN
19th Mar 2006, 09:14
Race wasn't up to par with last weekend
Agreed. Is it the commentator? Would Murray have engineered some excitement? I didn't fall asleep, but I DID find myself doing other things and watching the TV in the background.