PDA

View Full Version : PC and owner confused, and so will you be. Probably best to avoid this thread.

Binoculars
11th Mar 2006, 11:22
I'm trying to figure out how to explain this without it taking ten pages. My PC has two hard drives, C: and D: C: is 20Gb. when it looked like filling up under the combined weight of music and secret men's business I bought an 80Gb to replace it, but I decided it would be easier to leave the original as C: and install D as a backup drive, transferring all the space-consuming files to D.

For some reason, no doubt due to my own ignorance, Windows appears on both drives, and the boot sequence is an odd mixture of files from C and D. Similarly, Program Files when downloaded tend to be downloaded to D, but not exclusively.

I suspect this is the cause of some if not all of my networking problems, and would like to start again. BUT. If I format and lose files yet again, Mrs B will hire somebody to kill me. No matter what lengths I go to to back everything up before I format there is always something, usually to do with emails in some form, which is missing when I proudly present the newly formatted, clean computer for her pleasure.

So (hey, I'm getting there as quickly as I can) I thought perhaps if I disconnected D, booted from C and tried to see if everything she needs is there, I could then copy everything from C on to D, format C and reinstall Windows (XP Pro). From there, reinstall programs on to C, copy files from D on to C temporarily, format D and put files only back on to it, no Windows. Heaps of storage space, normal boot sequence restored on C; Robert's your mum's brother. Wrong.

If I disconnect D, Windows won't reboot. Disconnect C and the same result. Hmmm.

I've made a system restore tonight and told it to boot from the original Boot Ini file, but nothing appears to have changed. Presumably if I had an external hard drive, I could just copy everything on to it and play to my heart's content with C and D, but I don't, and the only one I have access to uses firewire, which I don't have on the PC (900 Celeron).

I tried to get a screen dump of the MSConfig setup and Boot Ini files etc to post on here, but I don't know how.

I know I haven't really asked a question here but does anybody know the answer, apart from buying an external HDD?

Thinks; this will test them. :8

BOAC
11th Mar 2006, 11:50
XP I assume? I would suggest booting from the XP CDROM, and select 'Recovery Console'. Once in command line type bootcfg /rebuild (read about it here (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291980)) - or 'scan' first if you are nervous :eek: - and try selecting the C drive as the system ?you want to use?. If that works you should be able to safely delete the Win installation on the D drive.

Depending on which system it has its little head into, you may need to copy Docs and settings from D to C to retain all the stuff you want.

If that does not work it may be that a 'repair' (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm)is needed. Remember that if you have not 'slipstreamed' your SP2 into a new boot CDROM you will have to reinstall SP2 again.

Happy Saturday:)

Over to the experts now.
Everything backed up first, of course:)

frostbite
11th Mar 2006, 11:51
Interesting!

Firstly, have you checked the BIOS boot sequence?

Second, is the new HD actually new or is it 2ndhand?

Binoculars
11th Mar 2006, 12:20
BOAC, your last sentence is the kicker. As I mentioned, without an external HD I'm not sure what should be backed up where. *Edited to add your link about the bootcfg/rebuild doesn't work.)

frostbite, well, it was new when I bought it! And no, I haven't checked the BIOS sequence because (a) I don't know how, and (b) I wouldn't know what to look for if I did. I assume it's that bit about pressing something to enter Setup during the boot phase, but if you'd like to elucidate, I'll give anything a try.

maxell
11th Mar 2006, 12:33
You mention networking in your original post can you access the hardrive of another computer on your network and transfer files into a folder on it as backup. If so it will save the external drive thing.
As for your emails etc. if you use firefox/thunderbird mozbackup will back up all you need

Binoculars
11th Mar 2006, 12:39
maxell, you'll probably be sorry you asked that. :uhoh: The brief answer is no, and that's why I'm going through all this; because I suspect that the confusion of the PC is causing the problem with the inability to get file and printer sharing running properly. If you really have a death wish, you can read more on one of my recent PC to Mac convert threads.

I do use Firefox on the PC. Please provide more info. :ok:

BOAC
11th Mar 2006, 12:59
Sorry, Binos - I've been having trouble with me https all morning. That should work.

Regarding the backup, it depends on how much there is. I would try and backup everything if you can, if not, docs and settings (both?) - that should preserve your emails etc - and any install files you do not have on CDROMs.

maxell
11th Mar 2006, 13:04
Take it you have tried all the usual like all computers with the same network/workgroup name (home) or whatever then individual names for each computer.
This (http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php) Program will backup firefox and thunderbird

Binoculars
11th Mar 2006, 13:29
One lesson I have learned rather painfully over the years is not to attempt anything remotely complicated after midnight, so I will revisit this thread on the morrow, but I appreciate all the comments so far, and if anybody has any others I'd be delighted to receive them.

As far as backups go, it's not the backup procedure itself that is the worry, rather the medium on which the backup is made. I'm just trying to avoid the use of multiple CD's.