PDA

View Full Version : Do I take the plunge?

nr0345
11th Mar 2006, 10:27
I have a tricky decision to make.
I have been deemed worthy to part with a lot of cash and train at OAT this summer and have just received my JAA Cat 1 medical certificate. The snag is this: I have an existing renal 'condition' that could cause me problems in the future and might result in me losing my medical certificate.
My question is: Assuming I don't lose my medical certificate, will having a pre-existing medical condition count against me when I eventually start applying for jobs?
I know it is hard to answer this without knowing specifics but I was hoping to find out what happens during the various airlines' assessment processes; do they simply ask whether you have a JAA Cat 1 or do they dig a little more deeply?
Many thanks,

Old Smokey
11th Mar 2006, 11:45
I think that it would be extremely unlikely that any airline would investigate your medical condition beyond your existing possession of a JAA Cat 1 medical certificate. You either meet the Cat 1 standard or you don't.

Where it might become an issue is if you were to take your licence to a different country for conversion to 'their' licence. It's not unusual in these situations for the Licence Issuing Authority (not the airline) to refer to your previous medical history.

Regards,

Old Smokey