PDA

View Full Version : Captain required - Cessna 421 (on type)

dllcooper
11th Mar 2006, 10:15
Could anybody give some advice on crewing an aircraft.

What sort of figure am i looking at for a captain (700 hours - 200 hours type) for a cessna 421. Plane being used for approx 150 - 200 hours per year. Would it be cheaper to contract pilot or annual salary.

Plane based in Welshpool, Midwales (nr.Telford/Shrewsbury, Shropshire)

Kind regards - David Cooper

jollyboy
11th Mar 2006, 14:24
Would suggest slightly more than the 700. Ops around Europe in IFR in a 421 can be a challenge. 1500 would be a better figure with 250 on the 421 (or 500 on similar aircraft with similar engines) Engine management is crucial on these beasts.

Good Luck

J32/41
11th Mar 2006, 15:19
I would say an annual salary would be cheaper than a contract pilot usually.

It all depends whats in the contract i.e accomodation, travel, expenses etc.

:D :D

411A
12th Mar 2006, 04:42
Contract pilot = Why should I give a stuff, as I'm likely to be replaced at some point?

Annual salaried pilot = Hmmm, maybe if I watch my P's and Q's, these folks will get a turboprop, or 'maybe' a jet at some point.

Now that you've thought this over, think ENGINES.
The GTSIO is not fond of ham-fisted pilots, so just maybe the annual salaried guy will watch after 'em just a bit better...and will be 'cheaper' in the long run.

READY MESSAGE
12th Mar 2006, 15:06
check your pm

transilvana
12th Mar 2006, 22:14
I have flown the 421C 800 hours. I would recommend a guy with 200-300 hours experience on it or turbo charged aircrafts as the Navajo or the Aerostar. The aircraft is a mother, but the engines are critical if you want to get all the life of them, turbos are tricky and the fuel pumps on high pressure can give you more than one....

theWings
13th Mar 2006, 10:28
Contract pilot = Why should I give a stuff, as I'm likely to be replaced at some point?
Or: Contract pilot = I really better give a stuff, do this right and add value, as I'm only as good as my last flight and I do want that 'phone call next time they're short of crew?

deza
13th Mar 2006, 16:49
david check your pm's

Deza

aztruck
14th Mar 2006, 14:23
Out of interest, a b or a C model? I used to run a b model and had no problems with the engines going to tbo, but I dont think the 421 is really a UK machine unless you are going flying for at least an hour. Short sectors can play havoc with the engine handling, and the aircraft needs a decent length runway, especially close to max gross. The wing spars are getting a lttle tired on the older ones(they are "lifed" in Australia btw), and ironically, the older "b" models have a better spar life because of the tip tanks.
Still , I flew one round europe and the usa for 3 years and loved (almost) every minute of it. 22,000 ft and 220 kts, try telling Milan you're not a king air!
Best of luck. I'm going to look at the old piccies now...sniff...