PDA

View Full Version : Virgin USA Services heat up

jetblues
11th Mar 2006, 02:34
The Courier Mail Saturday 11 March 2006

Virgin bids for US air rights
Geoff Easdown
11mar06

THE Federal Government will send a senior bureaucrat to Washington within two weeks to negotiate a new air rights agreement for Virgin Blue to fly the Pacific daily.

A spokesman for Federal Transport Minister Warren Truss said on Friday the Government was confident the airline would get its wish.

Virgin Blue would not be limited in the number of trans-Pacific flights, "only that there must be a be minimum of four weekly", the spokesman said.

Virgin Blue accelerated its push to fly to the US 12 months ago after Singapore Airlines began lobbying for a licence on the route.

Last month the Government blocked Singapore Airlines on the route for two years.

Virgin's coming long-haul operation is likely to operate between six and eight aircraft, probably using the fuel-efficient 300-plus seat Boeing 777.

British billionaire investor Sir Richard Branson, who has 25 per cent of the Brisbane-based airline, this week outlined Virgin's plans for its trans-Pacific passengers.

He said premium passengers would get cruise-ship-in-the-skies service, far better than anything in the first-class cabin of other airlines.

"Passengers will fly at business-class rates and what they pay will help subsidise the economy section in the back of the aircraft."

The premium features were likely to include manicurists, stand-up bars and limousines to and from the plane, Sir Richard said.

The cabin service model was "bang on right" and had been tested over 21 years by Virgin Atlantic, which is 51 per cent owned by Sir Richard's Virgin Group.

He said he had recommended the features to Virgin Blue managing-director Brett Godfrey.

Virgin Blue, whose Pacific Blue and Polynesian Blue offshoots fly to New Zealand and Samoa, has identified three possible Australian-US city destinations for services it hopes to start next year.

But the sticking point has been its demand for back-to-back daily services across the Pacific to make the operation profitable.

Virgin has so far talked to representatives of both Boeing and Airbus about planes.

Boeing's long-range 777-200 has emerged as a stand-out option, especially with jet fuel at prices of more than $US60 a barrel.

Boeing has attracted 150 orders for the twin-engine jet during the past year compared with single- digit sales of its European rival, the four-engine Airbus A-345.

Virgin Blue spokeswoman Heather Jeffery said the airline was very encouraged by the swift response of the Australian Government on increased frequencies.

Asked about Sir Richard's comments, she said: "We'll have to wait and see, there's no shortage of ideas around here but whatever we do, it will be different."

She joked: "Personally I'm going for leg waxing and horoscope forecasts."

Asked whether Virgin planned to set up a new company to launch the airline, or to launch a subsidiary, she said: "We're looking at several possibilities."

Ms Jeffery said no decisions had been made about aircraft types.

Virgin Blue shares were unchanged on Friday at $1.68.

plainmaker
11th Mar 2006, 03:02
"Passengers will fly at business-class rates and what they pay will help subsidise the economy section in the back of the aircraft."
The premium features were likely to include manicurists, stand-up bars and limousines to and from the plane, Sir Richard said.
The cabin service model was "bang on right" and had been tested over 21 years by Virgin Atlantic, which is 51 per cent owned by Sir Richard's Virgin Group.
Oh spare me!!
A minority shareholder in the Australian Airline telling us what the service level is going to be. While the front of Virgin Atlantic may have a reasonable product, my recollection is that the back end is very tight.
And as to the 'Business pax' helping pay for the economy section - well that is a new twist in Airline Economics 101. But it begs the question, - what do you do with eight aircraft daily flying a 14 hour sector. Sounds to me like a very ambitious service level, assuming you can find 8 odd T7's laying about..
The sad fact is that the OZ people still believe this goon.
Plainmaker

Capn Bloggs
11th Mar 2006, 09:52
Virgin Blue spokeswoman Heather Jeffery

What happened to Amanda? :confused:

oldhasbeen
11th Mar 2006, 10:00
you can bet your left nut that it will be a separate company with capts paid about 148K and whatever else the J* agreement says:ouch:

HotDog
11th Mar 2006, 11:46
plainmaker, Your Honour; Thank the Lord Sir Richard Branson is a goon, he could do a lot of damage to the competition if he was any smarter.:{

Zeke
11th Mar 2006, 14:19
This open the flood gates for EK drivers to come home http://%20www.vega-aviation.com/a340%20captains.htm

pakeha-boy
11th Mar 2006, 16:30
Hotdog.....yeah mate,I know a lot of "Billionaires" who are "Goons":rolleyes:

dirty deeds
12th Mar 2006, 00:45
I will be very surprised if one single VB pilot gets his hand on these 777's, it will be a typical Virgin set up as a separate company, endorsement required, contract pilots on S@#T conditions and pay. And the funny thing about this country these days is the requirement to operate these routes is predicated on being an Australian owned company, but does that mean the work and resources has to be Australian provided and owned?. Food for thought!!!!! EK drivers, your window to come home will open shortly, watch this space.

Bugsmasha
12th Mar 2006, 01:13
Dirty deeds, what are you basing these statements on? Do you work for the company? Do you know any management pilots? Have you heard what BK has been saying at the road shows they have been conducting? Probably 0/3 so far hey! Dont go saying too much as you might end up with egg on your face my friend.
Watch THIS space;)

dirty deeds
12th Mar 2006, 01:31
I have been to many a road show my friend, and been told many a lie my friend, hope is for fools Mr Bugsmasher, how many times have you heard,

We are going to look into the meals, lie.
Captains pay starting/negotiating base rate $158, lie.
Start up pilots having their endorsements paid for, lie.
Look after us, we're just starting, when things get going we will look after you, lie.
Management looking after and supporting their troops, lie.
Transparent bidding system, lie.

The list goes on, do you want me to keep going!

VB Pilots in a 777 my A@#S.