PDA

View Full Version : dixon joins pbl board

domo
10th Mar 2006, 22:37
Qantas CEO for PBL's A-team
John Lehmann
March 11, 2006
JAMES Packer's makeover of the Publishing & Broadcasting Ltd board is set to continue with the appointment of Qantas chief executive officer Geoff Dixon.

Mr Dixon's appointment, expected to be announced next month, would come after UBS chairman Chris Mackay and Patrick chief Chris Corrigan were announced as new directors of the media and gaming company this week.

"James Packer seems intent on making this board the heavyweight team of corporate Australia," one banker said yesterday.

Mr Packer, PBL's executive chairman, has come to value Mr Dixon's talents since joining the Qantas board in March 2004 at the invitation of chairwoman Margaret Jackson.

Mr Dixon, 66, is regarded as a hard-nosed operator who has managed to avoid a minefield of potential pitfalls while turning Qantas into the world's second most profitable airline.

Mr Dixon, who attended Kerry Packer's state memorial service last month, is expected to resign from his directorship at Leighton Holdings to take up the PBL position.

Mr Packer has wasted little time injecting new talent into the board since the Boxing Day death of his father.

Mr Mackay, who has relinquished his role as UBS chairman to chief executive and country head Brad Orgill, is regarded as one of the sharpest merchant bankers in the country.

"You would expect he will be very much part of any deals PBL contemplates in the future," a banking colleague said.

Mr Mackay is a disciple of value investors Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffett. Typically, those investors search for unloved but potentially sound companies.

Mr Corrigan, a close associate of PBL chief executive John Alexander, also had a background in investment banking with Bankers Trust Australia, before taking control of transport conglomerate Patrick Corp in late 1996.

The pair were appointed following the resignation of long-serving PBL directors Robert Whyte and Laurence Muir.

Both were close friends of Kerry Packer.

Rowena Danziger, who has been on the board for nearly 10 years, will remain on the board.

you think that he has a full time job upsetting qantas workers.must not be earning enough that he needs a part time job. i will be working two jobs as well after his reforms are finished

Ultralights
10th Mar 2006, 23:18
he is just making sure his Huge Multi million salery is secure when he steels more millions in bonuses from QF........ which he WILL get even though the share price hasnt moved at all during his time at the helm.

QFinsider
10th Mar 2006, 23:27
Suprised, no

The gluttony continues, maybe Dixon can give young Jamie some advice on labour relations...It sure is a basket case at Qf...I wonder how long until the 26 year old traders wake up!:E

Chris Higgins
10th Mar 2006, 23:52
Or maybe this is his exit plan from QF altogether! I see a golden parachute in his future.

QFinsider
11th Mar 2006, 00:02
One can only hope he bales out before the company is in the terminal dive!
He can take the genius of the Dame with him too

qf 1
11th Mar 2006, 00:54
why would you want that,lets see him run a company that's in real trouble,then we will see if he has a clue an dhe hi swoth all this money

Ultralights
11th Mar 2006, 01:16
,lets see him run a company that's in real trouble,then we will see if he has a clue an dhe hi swoth all this money

Oh look! pigs flying past the window! :} :ok:

Dashtrash
11th Mar 2006, 01:32
Sooner he goes the better. Taking a profitable airline and making into a.....wait for it.....a profitable airline wow...what a champion. He'll be in good company at PBL with other corporate legends like J Packer. "You'll tell the judge about 1-tell" "I have no clear recolection of that your honour".

Rest assured though he'll leave just in time for the excrement to hit the fan. He'll see the writting on the wall because HE WROTE IT! The only thing Jeff* wouldn't go down on is his own sinking ship.

And I'm spent

lowerlobe
11th Mar 2006, 03:58
I’m also waiting for QF to announce the appointment of a certain trucking magnate and/or his son to the board of QF ……the boys club is alive and well.

Turbo 5B
11th Mar 2006, 08:20
Not here you don't:mad:

wing surfer
11th Mar 2006, 21:38
does this mean that Darth Dixson is leaving the happy home of qantas, if so, i hope he will be held liable for his desisions that he has implemented at QF

hoss
12th Mar 2006, 02:35
Next thing you know he'll be part of 'the Illuminati' ;) .

tipsy2
12th Mar 2006, 22:52
I would love to be hiding behind the sofa and hear what Dixon (QF) and Corrigan (DJ) chat about.

I wonder if they would chat about their various 'offspring' :ok:

tipsy

DutchRoll
13th Mar 2006, 00:46
I'll show you my Board if you show me yours. Business in Australia is all quite incestuous at the moment, isn't it?

Pass-A-Frozo
13th Mar 2006, 02:14
Not bad pay for a part time job :E

Redstone
13th Mar 2006, 08:33
Convenient! Now GD can sit next to CC and complain that there are not enough low cost alternative ground handling companies to competitive tender for Qantas turn arounds........... any one say jet care...........?

QFinsider
13th Mar 2006, 08:37
Our corporate governance is so amateur hour. It allows a quamp like Dixon to do what he does and then take a directorship in a related entity. So lil Jamie couldn't sit on the board of Qantas and Dixon couldn't sit on PBL's board.The yanks stopped cross directorships a while ago. Stopping it was a positive benefit for the companies concerned...

funny that you can't see Howard, Abbott, Costello or even the tool Turnbull making REAL policy can you..too many vested interests.:suspect:

It's time (and I wasn't old enough to read when that one was last rolled out:E )

Taildragger67
14th Mar 2006, 10:56
It's time (and I wasn't old enough to read when that one was last rolled out:E )

Might be a good idea if the Opp'n get their caca in a singular pile before anyone starts saying Gough's line again and they start thinking about running the country.

Just wish they would (and that from a good north shore boy who's now ashamed of the LJH & the Libs).