PDA

View Full Version : Trains running late.

terryJones
10th Mar 2006, 21:44
I heard on local radio this morning that the 9:15 train would be leaving at 9:45.
Nothing realy odd about that in this day and age, but the problem I have with it was the fact that the broadcast was made an hour before the train was due to depart, and the fact that the train was going to STANSTEAD.
Now I may be jumping to conclusions here, but I would imagine that a fair percentage of the passengers would be hoping to catch a aeroplane, which willl not be hanging around for 30 mins. while the replacement for British Rail deliver their passengers.
I would also assume, without conflicting evidence, that any service that deserves to have a contract to carry passengers should have available a spare train, which surely could be arranged with over an hour before the off.
Let the train take the strain.....

timmcat
10th Mar 2006, 21:46
Enters from stage left, our Private Flying Moderator.....

Onan the Clumsy
10th Mar 2006, 21:51
Which is "stage left" anyway?

Is it the left for the audience, or the left for the actors?

Whirlygig
10th Mar 2006, 21:58
Left for the actors, Onan!

I'm sure that Constipidia (or whatever they're called) have the spare trains but rustling up spare drivers might be a bit more tricky. I suspect their rostes are organised such that there is no room for staff sickness so that if a driver goes ill, they have to find a replacement. They will be aware of this before the train departs hence the advance warning. This is presaumable because the driver has to be on duty a short while in advance 'cos he has to do the Check A (or summat similar!) ;)

Cheers

Whirls

Unwell_Raptor
10th Mar 2006, 22:06
I once took a train to the Midlands, and after going onto th eplatform I heard that it had been 'retimed' by 45 minutes.

So we arrived early for the stats, but late for my appointment.

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2006, 23:28
After a recent major disruption to the timetable, the local operator announced via local radio that services would resume 'along similar lines'.

Onan the Clumsy
11th Mar 2006, 01:06
Damn! I thought that was a successful hijack :(

acbus1
11th Mar 2006, 05:28
Don't use trains.

Not since the [email protected] service I received as a frequent weekend traveller in the 70's. Don't fool yourselves it was any better when it was nationalised and that privatisation has degraded services. It was appalling!

Bear a grudge? Me? :rolleyes:

IB4138
11th Mar 2006, 08:24
I'm off to Manchester next week.

Last time I was there, at the start of December, all I can remember of my use of the railway to get around, was the lady in a computer announcing continuously:
"First appologise for the late running of...."
The announcements were endless and for almost every train.:mad:

yintsinmerite
11th Mar 2006, 09:25
I've been travelling into London each day for 4 years and can honestly say that the trains on my line are pretty much on time all the while. They do however have an annoying habit of delivering half a train occasionally

edusaeanna
11th Mar 2006, 09:48
Last Transpennine trains are neither on time or or in any way, shape or form 'take the strain'. They are always a crap 2-car museum piece filled with half the population of Manchester...so much so that they had to start refusing any further passengers as it was completely full....so it's armpit to armpit all the way to York each week, it's such fun.

IB4138
11th Mar 2006, 13:07
anna
There is good news and bad news for you.

GOOD NEWS:)

TransPennine Express introduce their new class 185 units into service next Tuesday to replace some, if not all of the class 158s that you call geriatric.They are all 3 car units.

BTW. Have you seen the time expired class 142/150 units First Northern use from Huddersfield/Stalybridge to Liverpool via Manchester Victoria? The 158s are luxurious compared to them!

BAD NEWS:ugh:
Many of the 158's displaced from TransPennine Express are going to....ScotRail!

edusaeanna
11th Mar 2006, 13:42
Indeed I have IB...that's the line I get to spend my sunday afternoons squashed up against a wall on.....from Stalyvegas to York, I guess it makes me eternally grateful that I get to transfer onto GNER at York...where I get called Madam and am given free orange juice and biscuits.
As for Scotrail....I know, they keep using them for the Inverness run, which I had the misfortune of being on a couple of weeks back....only knowing that I was going to Inverness saved me from losing the plot.

zed3
11th Mar 2006, 14:18
About those new trains for the Pennine routes , there is nothing about this on the TPE website . I use the route from Manchester Airport to Scarborough every six weeks or so and asked last week when they would be operating and was told " around June I think " but didn't know which route. The 158s are seemingly 15 years old and well used (up), good luck Scotrail !