PDA

View Full Version : How can it cost That much

terryJones
10th Mar 2006, 20:48
I know there are a few things which are priced up to the level at which some moron will still buy them, but can anyone please tell me why a projector bulb rated at a mere 250 watts, and only given a life of 70-100 hours, can possible cost 300
Thats over 3 per hour.

Pandalet
10th Mar 2006, 20:55
possibly something to do with the higher-than-normal efficiency of the bulb? I have an idea that projector bulbs convert rather more than the conventional 5% or so of the energy they consume into light, rather than heat.

I could be completely making that up, though :}

Whirlygig
10th Mar 2006, 21:41
Supply and demand and economies of scale. I'll explain it later love!!!

Cheers

Whirls

Onan the Clumsy
10th Mar 2006, 21:48
I know there are a few things which are priced up to the level at which some moron will still buy them,

For Sale: One war, slightly used, but in good condition (according to seller), price $350,000,000,000 obo

terryJones
10th Mar 2006, 21:51
Whirlygig
I'll hold you to that 2 weeks tomorrow.
:)

BlueWolf
10th Mar 2006, 22:42
Plasma TVs. $$$$$$$$$ and they only last five years! And the programmes are still crap!

ehwatezedoing
11th Mar 2006, 00:34
....bulb....only given a life of 70-100 hours, can possible cost 300 Thats over 3 per hour.

Aviation "proof" stuff by any chance ? :E

Loose rivets
11th Mar 2006, 05:01
Interesting thing about cinema projection bulbs. A few years ago, thems that know about these things, found out that a lot of cinemas were running on (deep breath!!!) Lesser wattage bulbs!!!!! The resultant pictures were lackluster to say the least, but the savings were substantial. It seems that to go from 400 to 500 watts, doubles the cost of light per hour.

What ever happened to the carbon arc adjusters. On the dole I suppose.

The reason for my nom de plume is that I spent some time flying HP7s. They were old as they wheeled them out of the factory. We were asked if we would mind not using the landing lights...no, I'm not kidding, cos the bulbs cost 40 quid each, ( a fortune in those days) and didn't last very long. Also, the only person that could re-filament the bulb was very old and had to be hauled out of retirement to wind the filament and revacate the bulb.

acbus1
11th Mar 2006, 06:10
There'll always be an element in society trying to rip people off.

Loose rivets
11th Mar 2006, 10:58
That was a vacuous statement :}

Pandalet
11th Mar 2006, 11:18
tsk, perfectly sensible thread until some bright sparks come along...

Ozzy
11th Mar 2006, 16:22
possibly something to do with the higher-than-normal efficiency of the bulb? Nah, that's an engineers point of view.

The answer is, that's what what people will pay for such a bulb. Sad but true.

Ozzy

Grainger
11th Mar 2006, 18:25
Bit like the ink for your inky printer. 20 quid for 14 ml of ink ?

That's how they make their money - sell you the equipment then once you're tied in rip you off on the consumables.

B Fraser
12th Mar 2006, 10:47
Ohm my goodness, Watt a ripoff. You should put up some sort of resistance to the current prices and if an ample number of people complain, the charge may be transformed and brought back down to earth.
I'm off for a lie down

acbus1
12th Mar 2006, 10:55
Printer ink.....

1 -- Do a Google and go for the cheapo copy cartridges.

2 -- Buy the bottles of ink/syringe kits and replenish until quality falls below your standard, then stick in one of the copies.

Ridiculously cheaper with no/very little loss of quality. :ok:

BenThere
12th Mar 2006, 15:08
I had four years impeccable service from my Canon F80 Multipass all-in-one printer. Then I started buying equivalent, but cheaper ink cartridges. Then I started refilling the cartridges. Then my printer started acting up with faint blacks and missing colorations. Canon's customer service said I need a new printhead - $50. I bought it and I used it with new, but not Canon ink cartridges for about a month with good results but then the same problems arose.

I just ordered a new printer yesterday, another Canon all-in-one. I can't say with certainty the inks caused the problems but the problems didn't appear until I started using them. Four years is pretty good service from a printer, I guess. But from now on I'm going to use the manufacturer's ink cartridges.

acbus1
12th Mar 2006, 15:12
I shall duly avoid the Canon F80 Multipass all-in-one printer.

My two printers are still fine after years of cheapo cartridges and syringe refilling.

sled dog
12th Mar 2006, 15:33
A friend who is an IT man for Emirates recently warned me against buying refilled cartridges. It appears that they can easily ruin printers, as Emirates in Dubai have found. :ooh:

BUMPFF
12th Mar 2006, 20:01
Analogous to the printer/ink scam:

Handguns: 50p
Bullets: 20 each

ShyTorque
12th Mar 2006, 20:52
Mobile phones - free.
Phone calls - expensive.

Same principle, it seems.

Loose rivets
12th Mar 2006, 22:03