PDA

View Full Version : Atlas 747F for LH to MAN from Rome???

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
10th Mar 2006, 17:44
Just wondering if anyone has any idea why an Atlas 747F would be flying cargo into Manchester from Rome early Friday morning using an LH Flight Number?

I know lots of cargo and pax luggage has been delayed at FRA and MUC in the last week due to canx flights because of the snow.

Could and would Lufthansa use a 747F to shuttle undelivered cargo and bags around Europe if there was no capacity for the backlog, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

captjns
10th Mar 2006, 23:55
You are making more that there is. Airlines performing subservice for another carrier gernerally use the charterers call sign. This is because permits are in the name of the oringal carrier, and controlling agencies accept this. Of course they have the details of the actual aircraft performing the sub service.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
11th Mar 2006, 09:48
You are making more that there is. Airlines performing subservice for another carrier gernerally use the charterers call sign. This is because permits are in the name of the oringal carrier, and controlling agencies accept this. Of course they have the details of the actual aircraft performing the sub service.

Thanks, but I know that. My question is what would LH need to charter a 74F for to fly from Rome to Manchester?

RevMan2
11th Mar 2006, 10:01
Simple.

Because there's demand that LH (Lufthansa Cargo Charters, actually) can provide capacity for at an acceptable price to the customer and at a profit for LCC.........

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
11th Mar 2006, 16:26
Yeah, nice one... I'm not a total idiot.

I am trying to find out what was being shipped.

Fortunately it seems someone else has been kind enough to make a sensible suggestion in Spotters Corner.

captjns
11th Mar 2006, 17:14
Just wondering if anyone has any idea why an Atlas 747F would be flying cargo into Manchester from Rome early Friday morning using an LH Flight Number?

I know lots of cargo and pax luggage has been delayed at FRA and MUC in the last week due to canx flights because of the snow.

Could and would Lufthansa use a 747F to shuttle undelivered cargo and bags around Europe if there was no capacity for the backlog, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I am trying to find out what was being shipped. Fortunately it seems someone else has been kind enough to make a sensible suggestion in Spotters Corner.

Hey dude... being a snot ain't going to make you any friends. Perhaps if you wre more direct with your first posting, you may have gotten different repsonses.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
11th Mar 2006, 17:39
With all due respect, I'm am not here to make friends, but will not set out to annoy anyone intentionally either.

Maybe my original question was not asked accurately enough, and I took your answer to be very patronising (which I assume it wasn't meant to be.)

Apologies from my side.

captjns
11th Mar 2006, 19:37
No worries.... by the way what's the matter with making friends. After all, I always say, "You can never have too many friends.":)

Thunderbird 3
14th Mar 2006, 13:48
If your interested it was clothing that came into Italy via Ocean and was needed in MAN on an urgent basis.
Hence a cargo charter fixed by LH and performed using Atlas a/c.

matjr79
8th Apr 2006, 08:26
I HANDLED THIS FREIGHTER AT BEGINNING OF MARCH, IT WAS CARRYIN 75 TONS OF TEXTILES. FLIGHT SHOULD HAVE GONE INTO EMA BUT THEY REFUSED TO HANDLE SO CAME TO MAN INSTEAD. THE AIRCRAFT MUST BE A REGULAR WITH LUFTY AS IT HAD SMALL LUFTY MARKINGS NEAR DOOR AT FRONT. A/C WAS N517MC. GERMAN LOADY ON BOARD ASWELL AS ATLAS LOADY

CargoMatatu
8th Apr 2006, 12:36
I think you'll find it was an Atlas Loadie and a German maintenance rep.

When I was an Atlas Loadie we always carried a maintenance rep., and the German ones were great at giving the Loadie a hand with loading/offloading.

Jolly decent chappies:ok: