PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate chilli con carne recipe!

ex_matelot
10th Mar 2006, 16:52
Just made the ultimate Chilli,have read that its a bullshit food-ie..not at all mexican.Was invented by the yanks it would appear.Can anybody shed some light on this..confirm or deny it??

Not eaten it yet as its still 'brewing'.Anybody got any perfect combinations for such a dish?I have read that some even put chocolate into it!I plumped for nearly half a bottle of red wine as an active ingriediant instead:)

welliewanger
10th Mar 2006, 16:57
Go to local indian corner shop, buy anything that is in a dodgy looking pack with "Extra hot" on the label. If the guy at the counter looks at you strangely, this is a good omen for a good chilli!

Lon More
10th Mar 2006, 17:05
chocolate is used a lot in Mexican cooking, even with chicken.
I usually put a couple of squares of dark choc. in chili. A mate puts about one cigarette's worth of fag ash in his, but we reckon he's the illegitimate offspring of West Drayton's Fag-ash Lil

con-pilot
10th Mar 2006, 17:12
No ex_m chilli's roots are indeed Mexican. Chilli was first created by the peasants of Mexico to make the little amount of meat they had access to go farther with the use of tomatoes and they added the spiciness of chilli peppers to hid the taste of the beef which was usually spoiled.

The meat in true Mexican chilli was not ground hamburger meat as we use today, rather finely chopped. The addition of beans to chilli was and still is very common.

Now with the traditional Tex-Mex chilli of today the addition of beans is a major no,no and rough ground beef is used, sirloin is preferred. However, there are many people that use venison, elk, buffalo, etc.

And of course the hotter the better for some.:ooh:

Oh, one more thing, no wine in traditional chilli.

Wyler
10th Mar 2006, 17:18
I use Turkey mince cos the doc says I eed to be healthier:E

Three different kinds of beans.

Use the Hot salsa from jars.

Fry the mince in some olive oil with onion. Add salsa/beans/tomato puree/spices and a ton of garlic.

Simmer for 1 hour.

Leave to stand overnight.

Eat.

Sleep in spare room, with window open:ok:

Send Clowns
10th Mar 2006, 17:21
Very small amount of high-cocoa chocolate (70% minimum), some ground corriander and a cinnamon stick. Actually my chilli non-carne is better than my chilli con carne, but the ingredients mentioned are common to both.

Polikarpov
10th Mar 2006, 17:31
Fresh hot chillis and a dash of Lea & Perrins. Mmm.

acbus1
10th Mar 2006, 17:55
They must have had heavy duty sewers and great loo paper in Meheeco when chilli con carne was invented. It'd never have caught on otherwise.

I'm convinced more comes out than goes in. Great for clearing the tubes.

My recipe even makes me willy sore, never mind the ring of fire.

Magic! :ok:

tinpis
10th Mar 2006, 20:16
Missus tin claims what is possibly a record.
She was constipated on a trip to Mexico http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/poo.gif

HOGE
10th Mar 2006, 20:40
I like my chilli to have lots of extras in it, so plenty of kidney beans, raw chilli peppers, some onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, ordinary peppers, a little garlic, small amount of chocolate, and to finish off, either a splash of Dave's Insanity Sauce, or 357 Mad Dog Hot Sauce.
Serve with pitta bread. Retire to smallest room in the house.

tall and tasty
10th Mar 2006, 22:34
Has to be made with the fleshest of ingredients and from scratch. Good olive oil and sweet onions (purple ones they use in Greek salads) alot of fresh garlic all softened in the oil. Best Beef not too much fat lean as it can be and browned off once the onions are soft.

Then add the tomatoes, fresh par boiled without the skins, cook until the skin splits and strained (or plum canned but not as good) and alot of tomato puree more than they say in any recipe. I add fresh and dried herbs, oregano, some thyme and parsley or really what ever you like. Then the fun and games begins. If you are going to have a chili it has to make you sweat! No doubt about it, it has to. I add a teaspoon of sugar which brings out the tomatoes and salt and pepper and then as much chili powder and dried or fresh chili pods with seeds.

Cook until the juices of the tomatoes has evaporated and the oil and tomato has made that wonderful tomato oil beside the meat. Add the kidney beans and season again to taste just before serving.

BUT the big secret is to let it stand for 12 -24 hours if you can and eat it the next day.

Serve how ever you like your chili but always with good company and drinks

TnT

tart1
10th Mar 2006, 22:47
tinpis I was constipated on a trip to India. Out of 11 people on a crew only 2 of us didn't have the trots. In fact, I was so constipated I had to take a laxative one of the days!! (Is this a record??) :E

(I've had to take a laxative in Mexico and Kenya too, on more than one occasion!! I'm fine at home but when I go on holiday, I just seize up!! Sorry if this is too much information. :p )

Now ............ the thread: I reckon I make a pretty good chilli. I Maintain that the addition of freshly ground cumin seed, very well-fried, at the beginning is essential for great depth of flavour. Also, you can't beat some fresh chillis, even if you are using dried. It is important to fry all the spices very well to ensure that they don't give a harsh flavour. Also, I also like finely diced meat as opposed to mince but either will do! :)

(BTW I hate chocolate in hot savoury food ........... I can always taste if even a little has been added.)

con-pilot
11th Mar 2006, 00:04
Traditionally in Mexico and further south chocolate is used not in chilli, but to make a dark spicy sauce called Mole sauce (pronounced mo-lay, I don't know how to put that thingy above the e).

This sauce is used with meat, fowl and fish dishes. Properly prepared it is very good.