PDA

View Full Version : Should St Georges Day be a Public Holiday?

Lookatthesky
10th Mar 2006, 16:22
http://www.stgeorgesday.com/voting.asp
Vote Here :ok:

R4+Z
10th Mar 2006, 16:29
The only problem with the site is it doesn't explain one way or the other why it should be a holiday. So the result is bound to be tainted by those who simply want another paid holiday.

Rushton
10th Mar 2006, 16:31
Would be good but prefer it in July

ex_matelot
10th Mar 2006, 16:46
Would be good for us to be able to experience some governmental acknowledged patriatic day but as far as things seem we are more likely to be holding a Damilola Taylor or Steven Lawrence annual day of mourning instead.

Gongs were issued to family in one of the cases on the back of it so its not too unfeasable is it??

Wyler
10th Mar 2006, 16:48
Definitely, no doubt about it. Make it fall on the same day we get an English Parliament.

Lon More
10th Mar 2006, 17:06
Wyler, that'll be the 12th of Never then:(

Wyler
10th Mar 2006, 17:13
Yep, probably.:{ Still, up here you can still fly the Cross without being hounded by local Councillors and 'outreach' wasters.:E

HelenD
10th Mar 2006, 18:41
Well we in England should have a national holiday, St Georges day would be a candidate since he is classed as the patron saint of England, it is also my birthday. They would never go for Trafalgar day as it might upset the French.
I personally believe we should have a bank holiday in October whether that should be an additional holiday and the national holiday or whether one of the May holidays should be moved I am not sure.

tilewood
10th Mar 2006, 19:27
"Rule Englandia, Englandia rules the.............Nurse I'm out of
bed again!!"
Yes of course England and the English should have our own public holiday, after all we are not allowed to fly our flag, sing patriotic songs, or be proud.
Yet when the clowns in Government get themselves, and therefore us
into some godawful mess they can't wait to call on the English to rally
around the flag and march off to be killed.
When will we ever learn? :hmm: :hmm:

fmgc
10th Mar 2006, 19:33
Wouldn't you then need a public holiday for the Scots, Irish, and Welsh?

Grandpa
10th Mar 2006, 19:44
I wonder how St Georges would have appreciated my vote............

Anyway, one more day off would be good for health!

CUNIM
10th Mar 2006, 20:29
Like HelenD, Mrs Cunim also had the good fortune to arrive on this rounded lump of stuff on such a prodigeous day!

Whilst trying to be like St George, Mrs Cunim likes to play the outraged Dragon chappie. Damned unfortunate for moi.

So one is forced to vote for St Georges day, purely for self protection rather than self immoliation had one voted otherwise :{ :{

colmac747
10th Mar 2006, 20:54
Just like St Andrews, Patricks and Davids is a Public Holiday?:8

Whirlygig
10th Mar 2006, 22:47
The Northern Irish have 12 July as a bank holiday (Battle of the Boyne). If one faction doesn't mind upsetting the other over a holiday like that, why should we mind about having a public holiday in October for Trafalgar and maybe upsetting the French? Shouldn't that be a national sport anyway? :ok: :E

The problem with St. George's Day is that we would have too many holidays in the Spring when I do think we could do with one between August and Christmas.

Cheers

Whirls

Stockpicker
10th Mar 2006, 23:28
If you decide to have St George's day off, can you do us a favour and not tell the Scottish Post Office? They already take all the other days off, they'd be bound to take that one too. :rolleyes:

(For the uninitiated - the post office in these parts does not just observe national holidays. It also observes all local holidays, whether Scottish, Edinburgh, Lothian, often (it seems) even Glasgow and Fife. )

patdavies
11th Mar 2006, 00:30
The Northern Irish have 12 July as a bank holiday (Battle of the Boyne). If one faction doesn't mind upsetting the other over a holiday like that, why should we mind about having a public holiday in October for Trafalgar and maybe upsetting the French? Shouldn't that be a national sport anyway? :ok: :E

The problem with St. George's Day is that we would have too many holidays in the Spring when I do think we could do with one between August and Christmas.

Cheers

Whirls

**** it! Upset the lot of them and make VE day a public holiday.

G-CPTN
11th Mar 2006, 00:37
Guy Fawkes Day.

pzu
11th Mar 2006, 00:45
St Georges Day - April 23rd, 'saints day' for Eng;ands Patron Saint, also Shakespeare's birthday, and perhaps more importantly, my Wedding Anniversary - Yes, I did it for England!!! :) :ok: :) and this year will be 'our' 40th (ruby) Anniversary!!!
Am tempting fate somewhat by heading for Dubai for the 'Gold Cup' (25th March) anyone got some inside info???
PZULBA - Out of Africa
ps 25th March is also the Lincoln Handicap - this year being run at Redcar, I'm backing JOSH at 25/1 each way :ok:

rab-k
11th Mar 2006, 10:52
Too bloody right!

In this country we get taxed to death, worked to death and get fewer hols than those on the continent so CBI can go whistle on this one.

Bring it on I say!

http://www.elsham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Flying_England_Flag.gif

Duckbutt
11th Mar 2006, 11:28
Remind me, wasn't St George a Roman soldier for whom there is no evidence that he never set foot in England?

tony draper
11th Mar 2006, 11:42
We should bring back Empire Day,in fact when our chaps get back from fighting those Moors we should take back our Empire,those native chappies we gave it back to are making a right arse of running it anyway.
:rolleyes:

Wedge
11th Mar 2006, 12:33
I didn't vote because there wasn't an option "I really could not care less".

Can someone explain to me what patriotism is all about, and why people feel the need to feel 'proud' about the country in which they were born, which by any definition is an accident of birth?

Don't get me wrong, I like being British/English, and I'm glad I was born here. But why would I feel 'proud' about it?

As far as I am concerned, patriotism should extend as far as cheering on our lads and lasses in sports. To take it any further connotes nostaligia to the era of the British empire, where Britain conquered, stole, enslaved, raped and pillaged more than half the globe. Which is not something I feel proud about.

after all we are not allowed to fly our flag, sing patriotic songs, or be proud

Aren't we? I thought the 'establishment hating' BBC continued to broadcast the Last Night of the Proms live on prime time TV :hmm:

Grandpa
11th Mar 2006, 13:54
Would replace well enough this abomination of Haloween!