PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Stars commentary

Pureteenlard
10th Mar 2006, 14:56
I remember riding to the RIAT at Fairford about a decade ago and seeing the Turkish national aerobatic team (in nifty red and white f-5's) perform a display that was most memorable for the commentary.
I've been trying to explain to a mate just how good the commentator was. I don't suppose any of you people out there have a recording or a transcript? Bit of a long shot but worth a try . . .

SixDelta
10th Mar 2006, 16:22
I saw the Turkish Stars at Konya in 2004, the only display team i've seen to flow BVR before returning in a new formation :D

Wycombe
10th Mar 2006, 16:55
Don't have a transcript, all I remember was
"Turkish Stars....very handsome pilots" :}

StopStart
10th Mar 2006, 17:16
Who could forget it.....

I seem to remember, god knows why, that the team leader was called something like Capt Krilly. He was, apparently, "wery handsome" and "many the ladies love him".

Awesome.

fantaman
10th Mar 2006, 17:59
Hilarious! I've never heard someone get so excited about a display team!

You could try and buy one of those airshow DVD's? If the Stars are on it then chances are they will have the commentary running alongside the footage!

Pureteenlard
10th Mar 2006, 18:05
Memory plays tricks but I seem to remember a maneouvre involving two aircraft crossing at high speed. On the approach the commentay went something like this;

"We call the pilot coming from the left 'Iceman' and the pilot from the right, well, we just call him 'man'"

Conan the Librarian
10th Mar 2006, 18:35
About 93 or 94 if memory serves well. These guys taxied just past us at Fairford Northside. I suppose we were the only real evidence of people they had seen, the multitudes being just a blurred sea of colour on the other side. Now - pin your ears back. This, I kid you not...

One of the team, whilst taxing his F-5 (and at a fair lick too ) opened the canopy, punched his straps and stood up to face us, waving away like a loonie, as his little toy trundled off towards the bar.

The commentator was manic and sooo funny. I thought and still think that it must have been a wind - up. If ever I can get a copy of that I would be a very happy man.

I have seen many weird and wonderful things at airshows, but the Turkish Stars, I would commend to anybody.

Conan

wessex19
14th Jun 2006, 03:26
http://www.cadbury.com.au/sites/cadbury/index.php?pageId=376

OCCWMF
14th Jun 2006, 11:56
Remember the team was described starting with the most junior first. He was werry handsome, the next werry, werry handsome until you got to the Boss who was extremely handsome. The commentator then introduced himself and obviously he was "most handsome pilot of all" and went on to say that they were staying at such and such a hotel and would see lovely ladies at the party that night.

Rock Star!:D

Conan the Librarian
14th Jun 2006, 12:04
I also think that Mr. Manic foamed that the UK trip was "Sponsored by Metro Goldwyn Mayer, Hong Kong!!!" Still strikes me as surreal to this day. Wish they would come back, as I am fed up of pinching myself to see whether it was all a dream.

Conan

airsound
14th Jun 2006, 12:17
I can vouch for OCCWMF's memory of the T-Stars. It was in 1996, and the 'handsomest of them all' commentator was one Capt Orhan Tamer - now possibly a General, and still , I'm sure, known for his modesty. Sad to say, they never returned for a show, despite several efforts. Something to do with a slight disagreement with the FCC, maybe:rolleyes:

Now the good news - you can find some coverage of their act on the Red Admiral 'Royal International Air Tattoo Collection'.
www.redadmiral.com

Good luck!

Skunkerama
14th Jun 2006, 12:18
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Turkish_stars.jpg

Perhaps someone could book them?
http://www.turkyildizlari.hvkk.mil.tr/english/index.htm

There are videos on their site, don't know yet if they are from the shows

clicker
18th Jun 2006, 01:49
Yes, remember them well. Most of my photo's were useless due to the camera shake induced by the commentary!

Pitts2112
18th Jun 2006, 08:35
I remember that commentary from Air Fete,. where they preformed before RIAT. I thought the year was 97 but I could be mistaken on that one. I was the Ground Director for Air Fete that year when the Turkish Stars came to the UK for the first time, possibly ever, certainly within living memory.

They flew F-104s, though, not F-5s. The Patrioulle de Suisse fly red and white F-5s.

In the debrief later that day, the Turkish commentator was the topic of conversation. Our Security Police commander told us how he thought the holy war had started when this guy hit the commentator's mic. We didn't know what had hit us! Then we started listening to what he was actually saying and spent the whole show roaring with laughter. I hardly remember the flying, but I do remember the commentary!

Pitts2112

LOTA
18th Jun 2006, 11:34
The 'excitable' commentary is there, in all its glory, on the Royal International Air Tattoo 1997 video; I know because I had the 'pleasure' to hear yet again at last week's Cosford Air Show. (Or ground display has a constantly running video show and the RIAT 97 vid is on there a lot!)

clicker
18th Jun 2006, 18:17
Just checked my slides, they were F-5's, both single and two seaters.

They appeared in 1996. 1997 and 1998.

clicker

Ashley_day
6th Jul 2006, 20:03
i remember the commentator sayin summit like ' here is our captain and when he gets home to his wife he going to get a big kiss Oh the turkish stars lol