PDA

View Full Version : Wi Fi For Dummies... Please

Le Pen
10th Mar 2006, 10:07
Hi Chaps,

So got my first ever laptop and was wonderin about this WiFi stuff. :uhoh:

So, I walk into an WiFi enabled area, turn the beast on, then??????????????????????????????????????????????? :}

This is where I need help :ok:

(XP home edition, frog version, and got an internal WiFi thingy)

Love

LP

:p

Jinkster
10th Mar 2006, 10:18
Turn the wifi bit on - it should then search for a network and if not secured it will connect.

Best bet is to go to your local McDonalds turn it on and it should pop up with BT openzone. Basically BT charge you 20p per min or you can surf for about £6/hour but you can view the site for free.

I did take mine to Manchester airport in T3 and up popped T-Mobile hotspot, and the option to search the airport website for free!!

Good luck, its a nice piece of kit but can be very expensive to use!

:)

batninth
10th Mar 2006, 10:32
Le Pen,

Jinkster is right - go to START -> Connect To -> Wireless Network Connection

It'll show you any wireless networks in range, and will try to connect to the best one. If the network is secure then it'll ask you for the network key, if not it will connect.

With the Wifi networks as described by Jinkster, the first time you open your browser you get redirected to the home page saying "Pay to use this network" - you enter your CC details etc and off you go. Some airports, like Dublin, allow you to buy pre-pay vouchers to use.

One thing about wifi is that the signal can vary, so being connected while sitting in the airport coffee bar doesn't mean that you may stay connected when you move to another seat in the lounge area - your laptop will tell you about the signal strength.

Have fun

Jinkster
10th Mar 2006, 10:37
Any ideas how to create a secure wireless network?

Le Pen
10th Mar 2006, 14:34
Thanks chaps,

Will give it a go. :ok:

LP

Jumbo744
10th Mar 2006, 14:58
Any ideas how to create a secure wireless network?

you have to go on the configuration page of your access point/wireless router. Depending on the model, you'll have more or less advanced security features.