PDA

View Full Version : Man faces 50 fine for using bin

airborne_artist
10th Mar 2006, 10:26
On BBCi (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4792490.stm)

A man who threw away junk mail in a litter bin on his way to work is facing a 50 fine from his local council.

Andy Tierney, 24, from Hinckley in Leicestershire is reported to have dumped the unwanted mail in a bin located in the street.

Discuss - :ok:

BlueWolf
10th Mar 2006, 10:38
If you employ unnecessary people to do unnecessary things, and by electing councils to carry out such employing for you, then that is what you have done, and furthermore you are paying for it, then what, in all reality, do you expect?

Do you expect that someone elses' common sense will somehow magically over-ride the stupidity of your democratic decision, and in so doing, expunge you of responsibility for it?

No, it doesn't work like that.

YES, THE ACTIONS OF SUCH LOCAL AUTHORITIES IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND YOUR FAULT, BECAUSE YOU PUT THEM THERE. IT CANNOT BE PASSED TO ANYONE ELSE. IT'S YOUR FAULT. IF YOU CRITICISE YOUR POLITICIANS, LOCAL OR NATIONAL, YOU ARE, BY DEFINITION, CRITICISING YOURSELF FOR PUTTING OR ALLOWING THEM INTO OFFICE.

If you don't like that reality, get off your butt and stand for office yourself, and do something about it. But don't whinge. Its demeaning and valueless.

angels
10th Mar 2006, 10:42
Yeah, saw the story. What a bunch of tossers.

Prediction - he'll get off like the guy who said '**** all' in a public street.

But what a waste of everyone's time and money.

Edited to add, Ooer, the story I read was that it was just two pieces of junk mail. Didn't realise it was a load of other stuff, including grub. This could be different.

airborne_artist
10th Mar 2006, 10:48
"Steve Atkinson, the council's chief executive, said: "We're talking about a large carrier bag which had other domestic rubbish in it."

Who (apart from a Council employee) has got time to go through rubbish left in a refuse bin to see if it's a) legit rubbish and if not, who may have put it there?

The bin man can't be working hard enough, IHMO!

Wyler
10th Mar 2006, 10:49
Well said. As I posted on another thread about education, WE are the authors of our own destiny. We voted these tossers into power and, through typical Brit lethargy, we have allowed them to remain and flourish. That's why we get this crap, that's why our justice system goes for the easy kill, that's why our police are pathetic, that's why we allow politicians to use and abuse us and that's why we are accelerating downhill.
The power really does lie with the people but we have chosen to delegate it. Consequently, we are getting, IMHO, exactly what we deserve.
And yes, I do write to my MP, I do go to Council Meetings and I am an active campaigner for an English Parliament.

Amen

Whirlygig
10th Mar 2006, 12:04
Blue Wolf and Wyler,

Whilst ideally I would agree with you (i.e. we get the Government we deserve), one of the issues from which we suffer in this country is that the employees of the Government (whether it be Local Government, Central Government, NHS etc) are quite often a law unto themselves. The employees (i.e. civil servants) are left to interpret the legislation laid down by the elected representatives and some do so sensibly whilst others don't. It is much much harder to "sack" civil servants than it is for private sector and therefore those in that job can often sit back knowing they have a job for life. Little Hitlers and Empire Building are phrases that spring to mind.

Cheers

Whirls

Gouabafla
10th Mar 2006, 12:04
Wyler; my brother told me about a council meeting he attended not too far from your neck of the woods. On the agenda was discussion of planning permission for a pizzeria. After a while, a councilor spoke up and asked why they were not putting in a loo for the lasses, if there was going to be a pizzeria for the lads!

You couldn't make it up!

Ropey Pilot
10th Mar 2006, 12:23
Bluewolf If you employ unnecessary people to do unnecessary things, and by electing councils to carry out such employing for you, then that is what you have done, and furthermore you are paying for it, then what, in all reality, do you expect?
Do you expect that someone elses' common sense will somehow magically over-ride the stupidity of your democratic decision, and in so doing, expunge you of responsibility for it?
I didn't vote for my local council or my current Government - so does that mean that I can whinge about it?

I have no intention of entering politics because I can see incompetence in those who do any more than I intend to become a professional football manager to replace a muppet who drags a team into the gutter.

I do expect those who are in those jobs to complete them well - they expect me to complete mine professionally - you wouldn't hear anyone say 'well of course you crashed you chose to fly with xxx; why don't you become a pilot and ensure it doesn't happen again.'

I accept the fact that whining about it doesn't change anything - but you may as well wipe 2/3 of some of the proon forums completely if that is a criteria for posting.

And finally, even if you vote in the person you want you can't control their decisions on every item anyway - who could have predicted we would wage war illegally on Iraq? The crime buy the public there of course is even after all the demonstrations etc - we voted him in again

Grainger
10th Mar 2006, 12:38
YES, THE ACTIONS OF SUCH LOCAL AUTHORITIES IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND YOUR FAULT, BECAUSE YOU PUT THEM THERE. IT CANNOT BE PASSED TO ANYONE ELSE. IT'S YOUR FAULT. IF YOU CRITICISE YOUR POLITICIANS, LOCAL OR NATIONAL, YOU ARE, BY DEFINITION, CRITICISING YOURSELF FOR PUTTING OR ALLOWING THEM INTO OFFICE.Maybe in an ideal world, BW, but until they start putting a "none of the above" option on the ballot papers then you're just pretending that we have any real choice.

As for standing yourself - how does that work ? We're supposed to give up our jobs because the people we are paying to do their jobs are useless ? What are the chances of an independent candidate getting in anyway ?

I just don't understand the logic here - we're paying customers. If you got poor service in a restaurant you'd be entitled to complain without having to put on a chef's hat and take over in the kitchen. At least you'd have the option of taking your custom elsewhere.

VFE
10th Mar 2006, 12:44
My mate got fined £70 for throwing a dog end (and a rollie at that!) on the floor last year. Biodegradable ennit!

What I'd like to know is who fines the dog-walkers who let their dogs crap all over the pavement? Yes, it's biodegradable but getting dog muck wedged between your toes when wearing sandles and accidentally rubbing it in your eyes and going blind stands far worse IMHO. What say thee?

VFE.

tony draper
10th Mar 2006, 13:15
Rubbing their eyes with their toes? must be flexible buggas.:rolleyes:

Mariner9
10th Mar 2006, 14:07
Not necessarily flexible Mr D.

A kid I went to school with had a glass eye. He could (and frequently did) rub it over any part of his body without any particular dexterity. (Also used to "post" the eye down the back of girls blouses quite frequently :eek: )

tall and tasty
10th Mar 2006, 14:15
Nothing surprises me in this country any more. :uhoh:

The problem is it had his name and addie on it and someone was bored and thought lets see who we can fine today. You go through our towns and cities and in parts the rubbish is diabolical yet someone instead of throwing the letter on the floor put it in a bin ( which I presumed was for any rubbish) is penalised for his actions????

When is the next local election, bet he won't put a cross on the ballot paper in the next one :}

TnT

slim_slag
10th Mar 2006, 14:24
What is actually encouraging about this stupidity is Mr Atkinson said: "If the evidence does not stack up and we are potentially guilty of over-reaction then we need to deal with it in the right way.

"If we have over-reacted we will hold our hands up and acknowledge it." Too many times a public body will do something absolutely nonsensical and refuse to admit their mistake in case they look weak or it sets a precedent. These ridiculous tickets the cops give out for showing the golden forks to a speeding camera, and the ridiculous things our beloved government does are examples. Will they say sorry and admit a mistake, never. So give the council its due, maybe some jobsworth got carried away, but the council are prepared to admit a mistake and do something about it. Better than taking it to the mags and get found guilty anyway.

R4+Z
10th Mar 2006, 15:13
Here in Western Australia I believe it is an offence to even disagree with a council official. So even if they are wrong they are right!!!

unclenelli
10th Mar 2006, 15:20
Isn't it nice to know that the huge increases in Council Taxes are being spent on such worthwhile matters by the council.
Do they use it to fill in that pothole that almost ripped the wheel from your car - NO
Do they remove that gum from the street which is now spotwelded to your living room carpet - NO
Do they pay someone to sift through rubbish in the vague chance that someone has put an envelope in a bin which can identify them........................

potkettleblack
10th Mar 2006, 15:49
So this carrier bag he dumped contained what the council terms domestic rubbish. And I guess they would have you believe that the rubbish from street bins goes somewhere different than the black bag you leave outside your house each week then? Yeah right.

Whirlygig
10th Mar 2006, 15:55
Perhaps it was because he didn't recycle the junk mail in the correct coloured bin!

Cheers

Whirls

BDiONU
10th Mar 2006, 16:44
The council have binned the idea of fining him:

A council that threatened to fine a man for dropping junk mail into a street bin has changed its mind.
Hinckley and Bosworth Council said it had investigated the case and decided to drop the 50 fine because of "conflicting evidence".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4792490.stm

BD

eal401
10th Mar 2006, 18:50
YES, THE ACTIONS OF SUCH LOCAL AUTHORITIES IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND YOUR FAULT, BECAUSE YOU PUT THEM THERE. IT CANNOT BE PASSED TO ANYONE ELSE. IT'S YOUR FAULT. IF YOU CRITICISE YOUR POLITICIANS, LOCAL OR NATIONAL, YOU ARE, BY DEFINITION, CRITICISING YOURSELF FOR PUTTING OR ALLOWING THEM INTO OFFICE.

Congratulations!

You win the 10 March 2006 "Most Naive Post" award.

Or is it "Most Ignorantly Stupid Post?" I can't decide.

I can only hope it was "Most Tongue In Cheek Post."

Flying Lawyer
11th Mar 2006, 01:06
Council officers tracked him down using the addresses on the envelopes.
Examined the rubbish and tracked him down, eh?
As someone said, you couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

(Memo to self: Don't put addressed envelopes in public litter bins.)

Davaar
11th Mar 2006, 01:14
..... and Flying, be very very careful with all of this wretched electronic stuff. One wrong digit can make a lot of difference. A person I know only too well did in his younger days, but not so very long ago, send off such a message to the wrong addressee.Thank goodness it was a trivial matter. Back came the response from Disney Studios, signed "Goofy". An engaging series of exchanges followed.

Paranoid Parrot
11th Mar 2006, 13:35
Well I have a shredder and shall be using it to shred any of my rubbish with my address on. But then they will probably get MI5 to put it together again to identify me 'cos it might be such a security risk. :suspect:

Grainger
11th Mar 2006, 18:20
Hey FL:Memo to self: Don't put addressed envelopes in public litter bins.Depends on whose address is on the envelopes !

Could have hours of fun with an inky printer adressing letters to the Head of Refuse Disposal at the council and then leaving them in handy bins where they would be found by the "hit squad" :E

Avtrician
12th Mar 2006, 00:21
Make sure the envelopes have the address of your favourite airport parking chief (include his email address as well):E:E:E

ShyTorque
12th Mar 2006, 00:30
Dropped the case because of conflicting evidence? Tsk!

This is exactly why this country needs ID cards with biometric information. That way they can track folks down for such heinous crimes against society as unauthorised use of public litter bins, by looking at fingerprints or a spot of DNA. :rolleyes: