Why are ex British colonies aircrafts reg start with V

Australia VH
Hong Kong VR now B after China hand over
India VT
Bermuda VPB
Virgin Islands VPL

srjumbo
10th Mar 2006, 09:31
So what about South Africa and the USA then?

Old Smokey
10th Mar 2006, 10:30
Seems that you might have forgotten Canada, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore, and a whole host of ex African colonies. The list goes on....................

Regards,

Old Smokey

Ace Rimmer
10th Mar 2006, 14:43
Dunno but in old days UK reggos on sail boats and planes corresponded with the national letter being a K (as in K5054 for example) again with sailing former colonies kept the K's so Oz was KA, Kiwiland, KZ the Canuks were KC and so on - all of that was dropped a few years back...

PaperTiger
10th Mar 2006, 15:37
There's probably a sticky for this somewhere. If not, I have it bookmarked (http://life.itu.int/radioclub/rr/ap42.htm) since it seems to come up regularly.
Aircraft reggie prefixes correspond to (and are issued by) the International Telecommunications Union national radio callsigns.
The UK has a number of radio allocation letters beside the familiar G-, I have no idea why the VP-,VQ- and VR- series where selected for the ahem... colonies. Queen Victoria's Empire perhaps ? :}
The above list also explains why 'new' countries don't always get reggie prefixes which make sense - those letters are already in use (although some reassignments do occasionally happen).
hth

TopBunk
12th Mar 2006, 15:22
Virgin Islands VPL

Am I am the only one to note this!!!! Most appropriate.

Evening Star
13th Mar 2006, 11:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Wing
Virgin Islands VPL

Am I am the only one to note this!!!! Most appropriate.

It does take a certain type of mind to notice a detail like that. Love it.:ok: