PDA

View Full Version : People with a feedback rating of say < 20 shouldn't be allowed to bid over a fiver

Onan the Clumsy
9th Mar 2006, 21:20
... and drunks not at all :}

Have you ever been there, patiantly stalking an item for a whole week, waiting to pounce on the last day when some stupid ****wad with a zero rating says "Oh I think I'll bid a tenner, just for fun like" and then another **** with a rating of one says "Oh what fun I'll go up to twenty because I really have no ntention of buying it anyway, so what do I care and they have about a week's experience between them and then you slowly watch your item go past four hundred and fifty dolars, gaining visibility all the time so that when the last day finally comes it's already so close to your top price that you might as well not bother.

Oh I suppose you could wait another three years for a similar item to appear, but why should you? Just because some brain dead moron dragged aniseed across your item, why should you have to suffer?

I think they should be executed :*

[email protected]! :mad:

karrank
9th Mar 2006, 21:58
I assume you are talking of my other waste of bandwidth, online auctions:8

I must admit I don't suffer from this problem at all, provided the site has incremental bids. I figger out what my absolute top price I would be prepared to pay for an item and be happy to own it and put that as my maximum bid. If it is something I NEED (as in I would have to pay money in a shop if unsuccessful) I will bid closer to retail than for something I can really live without but WANT (and can justify purchase to SWMBO with "But look at how cheep it was..")

Every dollar less than my max I crow about the bargain I got. Every dollar more is evidence of some boxhead who doesn't know the value of stuff who won't have as many dollars in his pocket next time he nicks my stuff! Some things go for more than retail:yuk:

I sold something on ebay a while ago for $1800 odd, and one of the bidders tells me they would have been happy to go to $2000, but their connection dropped out at the crucial 'sniping' time.

On the other hand, if you are suggesting that when -20 feedback drone sleeps off the bourbon and sees how much he bid for a broken thermometer and doesn't pay up, there is always the second chance offer. Don't respond to such an offer by direct email however, you can get gypped:E

Onan the Clumsy
9th Mar 2006, 22:07
but the problem with proxying out is that every time some zero-feedback knucklehead increases his amount, it falls on your shoulders. If you wait till near the end to proxy out, he's probably already looking at something else.

Binoculars
9th Mar 2006, 22:27
I dunno why anybody bothers bidding at all until two minutes before the end.

And my rating is 14. So there.

tony draper
9th Mar 2006, 22:37
There appears to some kind of game goes on betwixt some feckwits,get say a no reserve item that usualy goes for around the 200 quid mark,at the start of a six day auction,they bid 10p,someone else bids 20p then 25p ect ect,these muppets don't seriously think they are going to win said item do they? they usualy drop out and are not seen again when the price reaches a fiver.
As for sniping its the only way to go I'm afraid,if yer can't beat em join em,very skilled at sniping one is,keep toot on item all the way through, then pounce preferably gettting your bid in about two seconds before time up,and I do not use any sniping utility,thats cheating.:E

frostbite
9th Mar 2006, 22:40
Since we're playing 'mine is bigger than yours', mine is 155 after six years buying and selling.

Mostly good, but noticed some dodgy ones creeping in this year, like the **** who was supposed to send me a radio but instead refused my Paypal payment, claiming he had checked it just prior to sending it, and it burnt out!

Yeah, right. Nothing to do with not liking the price it bid to then.

Ebid (google it) is a pretty good site, not quite so busy, but that can mean less competition when you're buying.

ShyTorque
9th Mar 2006, 23:59
One thieving **** last week charged me 9.95 for a 48 hr delivery service. He didn't post the item for 5 days and then just put it an old carrier bag, wrapped it up with sticky tape and sent it normal post, price 3.64.

I've had words. :*

SyllogismCheck
10th Mar 2006, 00:33
Save for collectors/out of production items and the such like, isn't it a whole lot easier just to buy whatever it is from a regular retailer? It always looks to me as if half the stuff goes for more than retail and even if it does go for slightly less, what price your time?

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one, but I don't see the attraction. 'S just an intraweb jumble sale, right? :confused:

tony draper
10th Mar 2006, 00:55
Not so,I got some real bargains, a lot of sellers don't seem to know what they have got, I bought a CCTV camera I would have payed 960 quid for at a wholesale CCTV specialst , for 70 quid,brand new, still boxed,specalist stuff you have some expertise with is good, I have seen other punters bidding up crap I would have been annoyed to find in the street,ignoring good stuff thats a real bargain.
Never sold on Ebay,but I have no complaints whatsoever about stuff I have bought, except agree with Mr Shy Torque,some buggas way overcharge on postage.

Capn Notarious
10th Mar 2006, 01:42
The stop watch is the way to go. Sniping is good sport, but only if one wants the item. I have put in massive bids near the end of the auction. Then to find that the previous high bidder had reached their ceiling. My extra has got the goods.

Jerricho
10th Mar 2006, 02:24
Well, while we're bitching about THAT SITE, had the misfortune of dealing with a real asshat.

I left him honest neutal feedback about his product (door sills for my car and I should have really known, you certainly get what you pay for) and the [email protected] left me feedback of "Buyer is very rude".......then had the audacity to send me a request to mutually withdraw. NO way buddy!!! He sent me a couple of nast emails as well acting all Internet warrior. I politely invited him to come visit me in Canada to make good on his threats. Moron :rolleyes:

Nick Riviera
10th Mar 2006, 20:19
You can't complain about people who charge excess postage, it's all there upfront before you have to bid. Anyone who looks at the price without including the postage is being naive.

av8boy
10th Mar 2006, 20:47
Anyone who looks at the price without including the postage is being naive.

...or simply IS naive. Like my 16 year old daughter who purchased an item from OZ for a reasonable price (using my credit card of course) but failed to mention that she hadn't explored the shipping issue. In the end it was, of course, my own fault for not checking (I suppose I AM the adult here). And as it turned out, the cost charged for shipping was far more than the ACTUAL cost of shipping. However, I kept the package label and next time I'm in Sydney I may see whether I can get the Member for Kingsford Smith to drive by the house with me and strike fear into the hearts of these nice people. Or at least dance in their garden... :mad:

HOGE
10th Mar 2006, 20:54
To add to the p+p debate. I figure that some of the cost I charge is for (a) my time and (b) the petrol spent going to the post office to send the item off. As others have already said, the p+p is shown upfront. If you think it's a rip off, don't bid.

frostbite
10th Mar 2006, 21:00
Quite so! It's easy to spend half an hour packing some items, and then (round here anyway) spend another half hour queuing in the PO, plus a couple of quid on petrol.

Not that I charge that fully, ever, but there's also Paypal fees, which can be quite a tidy sum.

Flyrr100
10th Mar 2006, 21:01
I agree with Hoge. When I sell something I always put p& p up front. If you dont want to pay, dont bid.

Flyrr100
10th Mar 2006, 21:02
There's another thing. What's with the UK paypal fees? I've bever paid a paypal fee. Is it a UK thing?

tony draper
10th Mar 2006, 21:05
yeh but it tends to irk a bit when you are charged 7 quid postage which you pay no complaints, and when the parcel arrives its got 2 quids worth of stamps on it
I understand some wags charge say a hundred quid postage and sell the item for a buy it now price of say a quid, thus bypassing having to pay Ebay thier cut of the selling price, can't say I've ever seen it ,or that Ebay would tollerate it for very long.
:rolleyes:

Nick Riviera
10th Mar 2006, 21:22
Tony

Oh, I agree, it does irk. But as long as the total price paid makes it cheaper than retail then I'm happy.

frostbite
10th Mar 2006, 22:46
When you're selling, Paypal don't discriminate between sale price and p&p - they charge their percentage on the lot!

ShyTorque
11th Mar 2006, 00:49
To add to the p+p debate. I figure that some of the cost I charge is for (a) my time and (b) the petrol spent going to the post office to send the item off. As others have already said, the p+p is shown upfront. If you think it's a rip off, don't bid.

In my case, a specific type of 48 hour delivery service was advertised and quoted for. I was perfectly happy to pay the quoted amount for that service. It wasn't used and the item took 6 days to get to me. The seller boosted his profit by conning me into paying for a service I didn't receive. He sold a whole load of other items that day so it wasn't as if he made an individual journey to post my parcel.

I've bought loads of stuff this way and never had this sort of problem before. Also, our family runs a business. Customers receive what they pay for, properly wrapped at cost, on time and as described. Not six days later, wrapped in an old carrier bag!

Binoculars
11th Mar 2006, 03:28
Reminds me of the time I got my only negative feedback on ebay. I had bought a piece of equipment I needed to get my network set up, the money was transferred into his account within five minutes of winning the auction, including payment for overnight freight.

Next day no sign of said article, nor the next, nor the next, nor..... It finally arrived by snail mail six days after I paid for it. Cue less than impressed feedback, then came the kicker. I got an abusive email, and my own negative feedback, in which he didn't even lie to make his position look better. The feedback read "IMPATIENT BUYER!!!! Auction ended 19/1, item sent 24/1, STILL NOT HAPPY!!!!!"

Imagine that!