PDA

View Full Version : Skype?

d2k73
9th Mar 2006, 20:27
Anyone here use skype? What do u think? Personally I think it's the best thing since sliced bread or msn messenger!

Unwell_Raptor
9th Mar 2006, 20:37
Yes. I have a relative in the Americas and it's great.

Recommended.

timmcat
9th Mar 2006, 20:39
Registered but never use it. Me laddo is on it for hours every evening chatting to his mates whilst they play online RPG's.

d2k73
9th Mar 2006, 20:52
I've had full screen video convo's with friends in the states! Its really clear! Just like Im in the same room as them! And its free!!:8

kms901
9th Mar 2006, 21:40
I have a sister in Edinburgh and a brother in Sacramento. Conference calls are great !

ORAC
9th Mar 2006, 22:06
Personally, I use vonage because it has a separate router which I have a DECT phone pluged into. UK number, all UK and Ireland calls free for £10 a month; and I can add other numbers (USA etc) onto the same connection for for another £3 each. Means I can phone ordinary numbers for free, and they can phone for local rates.

BenThere
9th Mar 2006, 22:11
I use Vonage at home and Skype on the road. It's a great service, making calls anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world for a pittance. Last month I was in Hong Kong and planned a vacation while talking with my wife on Skype. We spent hours checking out the various best deals on-line. Total cost: $.00. Big change from just a few years ago when I would routinely spend $200/month on long distance.

powdermonkey
9th Mar 2006, 23:58
Skype is FANTASTIC. Chat to my family in France, friends in Uk and it's FREE!!! Have the web cam as well so, you get to see who you are talking to. Great....most of the time. Only problem is that the webcam uses bandwidth and degrades to voice comms a little.....but EVERYONE should get it.:ok:

tall and tasty
10th Mar 2006, 00:40
got an invitation for 10 mins free time on it the other day and missed the deadline as I could not get into my email account :(

But have a friend who raves about it and my BIL uses it all the time and says it is the best thing.

Need to give it a go I think and then can make up my own mind :p

TnT

AN2 Driver
10th Mar 2006, 00:57
got an invitation for 10 mins free time on it the other day and missed the deadline as I could not get into my email account :(
But have a friend who raves about it and my BIL uses it all the time and says it is the best thing.
Need to give it a go I think and then can make up my own mind :p
TnT

Skype IS free, that is the basic service with phoning between Skype users.

But yes. I was rather sceptic as I used Net Meeting before but heck, it's that much clearer. Even works over a mobile used as a modem. (Edge speeds). Has literally saved me a few thousand quid by now. Highly recommended. Beware of video tough unless you have a rather fast line. (got 3 mbit these days so no trouble there. )

ZFT
10th Mar 2006, 01:02
Use it all the time from BKK 30 mins to a UK landline for 25p. Crystal clear, no delay and very easy to use.

petitfromage
10th Mar 2006, 02:10
TnT Skype is free computer to computer.
It only costs if you want to call someones phone from your computer.

On the Rotorheads forum there is a thread of Skype Names so Ppruners can keep in touch and meet up around the world.

Maybe a Skype thread/sticky for JB too?

broadreach
10th Mar 2006, 02:23
Skype is great. I have direct family scattered over three continents and friends in all the others. Signed up as soon as I heard about it (2003?) and it has saved hundreds of $. But the worry now is that it's another vehicle for viruses.

Blacksheep
10th Mar 2006, 02:30
Skype keeps me in contact with the family in UK. We all have webcams and I get a nice full screen image of whoever I'm talking to. Fan-bloody-tastic, so it is. I'd let you all have my Skype ID but then the boss would know who I am.

As if he doesn't already.

(Ampunlah Tuan Haji, ribuan-ribuan ampun... :uhoh: )

IB4138
10th Mar 2006, 06:29
My computer boff is bringing me back some new phone from UK, that I plug into port on front of puter. Can then ring anywhere I want. Fixed charge of 15 every four months.

colmac747
10th Mar 2006, 07:36
It fecked my PC up once installed. Got rid of it. Liked it though when i had it.
Don't have any friends so didn't see much point in speaking to myself:ugh: :rolleyes:

watergate
10th Mar 2006, 07:42
Really fantastic. Wife called friend's regular phone and talked to Australia for 40 mins. - Cost DKK5.35 or about GBP0.50 :ok: :ok:

enicalyth
10th Mar 2006, 07:53
I always wondered how Pine Gap and Menwith Hill monitored internet phone calls and now I know. TINSTAAFL (the saying, not the ppruner). Start a free gig and it makes it a heck of a lot easier. How do I know its a CIA front organisation? Obvious!!! Elvis told me.

Draven
10th Mar 2006, 12:04
G'day,

I use it quite alot, and much better sound wise than msn, the new version allows to use of webcam :ok:

Gouabafla
10th Mar 2006, 12:09
I agree with all of the positive comments.

However, Skype isn't a miracle. On a bad line, it is pretty dreadful. Unlike cell phones, the Skype software has no error correction so when the line is bad, it is very bad indeed. Trying to use it on dial up or some satelite internet connections in Africa just isn't worth the bother.

icebirdpilot
10th Mar 2006, 12:10
have been a long way from home the past 2 years and Skype has saved lots of money on long-distance calls!

Recently I have started to use Google Talk and the sound quality is superb, better than Skype!! Then I use the webcam with MSN messenger and it works fine, good quality on using both at the same time! Also Google Talk is much smaller and simpler than skype, all the extra features and adverts on Skype started bothering me! And MSN is getting a little annoying as well! If they add the webcam feature to Google Talk then I will delete MSN from my computer. Ohh and I hate all the jumping-around smileys as well!

Google talk: www.google.com/talk (http://www.google.com/talk)

OOOoooh... And it's free as well!

phnuff
10th Mar 2006, 12:21
Yep, Skype gets big thumbs up from me. The video conferencing is great and I also have it working on my pocket PC which means find a free wireless area and phone the world !!

airborne_artist
10th Mar 2006, 13:41
Really fantastic. Wife called friend's regular phone and talked to Australia for 40 mins. - Cost DKK5.35 or about GBP0.50

Don't forget that in the UK we've got dial-through operators. You call a country-specific 0845 number, and then dial the person you want to reach. Oz is 0.01/min 24/7 with Telediscount for example. Line quality is adequate, but as good as many VoIP calls I've had. Only of use if calling from a BT line, though.

Iolar
13th Mar 2006, 13:16
There are already mobile phones on the market which can support both GSM and WLAN-WIFI. You can use your mobile for VOIP, interesting alternative to a laptop with headset. I wonder will those airlines with WLAN in the cabin allow them to be used in flight?

Iolar.

Jinkster
27th Mar 2006, 17:28
just joined - fantastic!!

christopher844

Confabulous
27th Mar 2006, 18:52
It's a miracle - I ring the UK every day, would normally cost about 3 on the (prepaid) mobile, now down to 20c :E :ok:

Jinkster
27th Mar 2006, 19:08
what about a pprune chat conference???
:eek:

windy1
31st Mar 2006, 15:41
airborne artist said

"Don't forget that in the UK we've got dial-through operators. You call a country-specific 0845 number, and then dial the person you want to reach. Oz is 0.01/min 24/7 with Telediscount for example. Line quality is adequate, but as good as many VoIP calls I've had. Only of use if calling from a BT line, though. "

But you don't necessarily need a BT line: I have an NTL line and call Oz via dialwise for penny a min. Amazon VOIP phone is 30 plus Skype x per month = lot of mins on dialwise.

BDiONU
31st Mar 2006, 15:50
Amazon VOIP phone is 30 plus Skype x per month = lot of mins on dialwise.
Tesco Extra stores are selling a rebranded USRobotics USR809600 http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-voip-product.asp?prod=voip-9600&page=specs&loc=unkg for 19.99 or 2 for 30, comes with 5 credit for their VOIP network

Or get 2 for 24.99 from Maplin:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48028&DOY=25m3&criteria=SALE

BD