PDA

View Full Version : NASA to announce 'possibility of other life'...

ex_matelot
9th Mar 2006, 18:58
At 7pm GMT NASA are to announce a new discovery...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8na.htm

Mac the Knife
9th Mar 2006, 20:03
On PPRuNE ???

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it....."

:ok:

BRL
9th Mar 2006, 20:26
NASA to announce 'possibility of other life'...
.........outside of America.... ;)

tilewood
9th Mar 2006, 20:35
Where has NASA been ......... have they never seen Dr.Who?!! :rolleyes:

SoundBarrier
9th Mar 2006, 20:40
Erm, but seriously, I think we need think about this.

"Possibility of life"??? come on. :hmm:

There sure is a possibility of life in an infinite universe, even if it was finite, there would be possibility of life on "the outside".

Now what makes man the universe expert being able to say what life forms derive from. Sure we have our own ideas, but, what if there are some beings say 100billion light years away which are non-carbon based and can travel faster than the speed of light? :ooh:

Maybe I'm one of 'em?

tilewood
9th Mar 2006, 20:45
SoundBarrier:

If you are so far advanced would you be making typing errors
on a keyboard?

Now I mean - come on!!

By the way can you microwave my TV meal from there? :rolleyes:

SoundBarrier
9th Mar 2006, 20:48
tilewood:

Who says it was typed :}

I would microwave your food but it's past it's expirey date.:ok:

tilewood
9th Mar 2006, 20:53
SoundBarrier

Damn I forgot your X Ray eyes.

Fish and chips OK then? :ok:

esmozz
9th Mar 2006, 21:35
And somebody else has possibly found it!

The New Scientist this week has an article entitled 'its raining aliens'. Basically its been raining red in Kerala, India (no i'd never heard of it either). Upon further examination the rain seems to comprise biological cells of which no-one can figure out the origin. The cells appear to be similar to red blood cells (i.e no nucleus) and were distributed via an incoming meteor exploding in the atmosphere (is the claim). All of which sounds fantastical except, from reading the article, it seems no-one else can explain how 50 tonnes of something similar to red blood cells appeared in the sky.

Hmm, on reflection, it all sounds a bit biblical to me, raining of blood etc etc(or is that the moon turning to blood?). Perhaps its just the beginning the end times, which is'nt nearly so exciting.

Mac the Knife
9th Mar 2006, 21:50
SETI, the radio search for extraterrestrial intelligences, has so far drawn a blank despite a lot of looking and covering most of the sky in the likely radio bands.

Certainly there are no high-level civilisations anywhere near our galactic cluster and probably no medium level civilisations either, which is a bit of a surprise to everyone.

Despite the vast number of stars in the observable universe, earth-like planets seem to be uncommon to say the least.

I'm sure there are plenty of planets with some sort of "life" on them, but not that many where it's gotten into the multicellular league.

Despite the Drake Equation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation - it is still possible that we are alone......

Blacksheep
10th Mar 2006, 01:41
So far, the evidence from planet Earth is that wherever there is liquid water there is life. It doesn't seem to matter what other chemicals are present or what the temperature is - life appears to be a natural consequence of the combination of two molecules of hydrogen with one of oxygen.

Unfortunately, that particular chemical reaction requires very specific conditions and is extremely rare.

BDiONU
10th Mar 2006, 07:18
Unfortunately the story was overblown media hype:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/03/09/a-huge-nasa-announcement-today/

BD

acbus1
10th Mar 2006, 07:21
Current knowledge is that life on Earth started amazingly soon after it's formation. It's as if life just can't wait to get going, even at ridiculously high temperatures.

Considering the vast number of stars and planets out there, it's obvious that water and, therefore, life certainly does exist elsewhere.

A lot of it is certain to be carbon based.

Whether we'd like the look or manners of it, I doubt. I'm not too keen on most humans, so what chance aliens!

I just hope they find some before I pop me clogs.

The most exciting offshoot could be understanding of how life is kick-started and then progresses. That's something I desperately need to understand.

SLFguy
10th Mar 2006, 09:18
esmozz.......go get yerself a copy of "The God of small things"

slim_slag
10th Mar 2006, 14:19
Certainly there are no high-level civilisations anywhere near our galactic cluster and probably no medium level civilisations either, which is a bit of a surprise to everyone

Would you classify us as a higher, medium, or lower than that. Are we a civilisation at all, compared to what is possible in the fullness of time.

What's that clever saying, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence? Maybe it's the other way round.

Anyway, I thought that if there was a SETI type experiment using the technology we are using, and it was as close as the nearest star, it wouldn't find us. I think SETI is looking for beacons deliberately pumping out gazillions of watts of 'Hello World', not transmissions that have leaked out like mankind is doing. Earth has done the beacon thing, but only for a few minutes, so anybody looking for us probably wouldn't find us either.

Wyler
10th Mar 2006, 15:05
If you take the Galaxy as a whole, Earth is probably the corner shop and we are the yobs who hang around it. Consequently, other life forms avoid us like the plague.:O

slim_slag
10th Mar 2006, 15:09
There must be some ruffian beings out there would want to break in and nick something when we were kipping. Or is that just us again.

MMEMatty
10th Mar 2006, 18:18
I think you should all read Cohen and Stewarts "Evolving the Alien" where they look at life on earth and see just how many different places life could evolve. Turns out most places in the solar system could (in theory) be suitable to some sort of life, if we are willing to distance ourselves from looking purely for Carbon Based things that look like green monkeys, or flying whales, or whatever.

And nowehere on that Nasa report (Which is on the NASA website now) does it mention that there could be life on Enceladus. Same old NASA.

matt

slim_slag
10th Mar 2006, 18:35
One was taught by somebody who knows a lot more about this than me, that any life form would have to be carbon based. It's the only atom which could be used to form the long chains with other groups hanging off them that would be required for something as complex as 'life'. Even your basic prion, if that is considered alive, is based upon such carbon chains. Silicon is in the same group, but you cannot get long "silico-hydrate" chains like you can get carbohydrate chains.

Mac the Knife
10th Mar 2006, 18:46
slim, we're about a 0.73 on the Kardashev scale - may reach Level 1 around 2200

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Type I - A civilization that is able to harness all of the power available on a single planet, approximately 1016 W. The actual figure is quite variable; Earth specifically has an available power of 1.74×1017 W. Kardashev's original definition was 4x1012 W. (It was identified as a Technological level close(st) to the level presently attained on earth, "presently" meaning 1964.)

Type II - A civilization that is able to harness all of the power available from a single star, approximately 1026 W. Again, this figure is variable; the Sun outputs approximately 3.86×1026 W. Kardashev's original definition was 4x1026 W.

Type III - A civilization that is able to harness all of the power available from a single galaxy, approximately 1036 W. This figure is extremely variable, since galaxies vary widely in size. Kardashev's original definition was 4x1037 W.

All such civilizations are purely hypothetical at this point. However, the Kardashev scale is of use to SETI researchers, science fiction authors, and futurists as a theoretical framework.

esmozz
10th Mar 2006, 18:53
Shame beagle 2 pancaked in, it had some kit onboard which would have been able to specifically detect the presence of life (methane apparently - farting Martians????). The Viking landers of the 70’s did detect what was thought to be the presence of life, but this was later discounted as being an artefact of the experiment, although I understand the debate is still ongoing. The point being, that if we can find life on the first planet we visit, then the odds are that the galaxy, and universe as a whole is probably swarming with it.

SLF – probably not necessary to read an entire novel to acquaint myself with the existence of Kerala. (Btw Microsoft spellchecker hasn’t heard of it either – so there!)

Rick Storm
10th Mar 2006, 19:06
Be scared, be very scared.
1) How would aliens post on here without an e-mail addy?
2) If they could, what if the mods deleted their posts? It could start a Galactic war!
3) Has O'leary thought about inflight meals? Venus rock worms to start, followed moon beetles with Mars custard?

Jezz if it happend I'm off to live in Atlantis, at least we know the aliens who've been there longer. Nice chaps most of then I hear in area 51 their very keen on smoked salmon with prunes.