PDA

View Full Version : Getting hold of overseas maps.

Hangar On
9th Mar 2006, 15:17
Hello all,

I’m looking for a bit of help to get hold of some maps.

To cut a long story short I am ex-RAF Baby Aircrew but I’ve been out of the loop for a while. Basically I need to get hold of some maps of Kazakhstan for a charity expedition I’m involved in (Full details will be posted in due course.)

I need to get hold of the address/telephone number of someone who would be able to donate or obtain such maps. I think I’d be better off going to the unit who are in charge of the RAF maps rather than the local ‘friendly’ flight planning corporal.

As I mentioned, I’ve been out of the loop a while and so have very little idea who this would be. Does anyone know?

Many Thanks

Johno

I appreciate this sounds a little dodgy but rest assured I’m not planning some ‘super-secret’ terrorist attack I just don’t want to let details of the charity thing out of the bag prematurely.

zedder
9th Mar 2006, 16:39
See the bottom of the page on this link:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/MicroSite/DPA/OurTeams/DPASupportGroups/FundamentalsOfCrownCopyrightLicensing.htm

stiknruda
9th Mar 2006, 17:25
Funny old thing, I'm ex-aircrew and have been out of the loop for quite a wee while, too! I also nowadays pay a lot of tax.

Guess what I do when I want maps?

I buy them commercially - Google for "Map, Chart dealers", be rady to quote credit card details and funny old thing they arrive within days.

You and I are both ex - get used to it!

Stik

hobie
9th Mar 2006, 18:17
some maps of Kazakhstan for a charity expedition

Most organizations are generally delighted to help out, from my experience .... :)

Hangar On
10th Mar 2006, 08:19
Funny old thing, I'm ex-aircrew and have been out of the loop for quite a wee while, too! I also nowadays pay a lot of tax.
Guess what I do when I want maps?
I buy them commercially - Google for "Map, Chart dealers", be rady to quote credit card details and funny old thing they arrive within days.
You and I are both ex - get used to it!
Stik
Sheesh, I may be ex but i'm not that bitter. It's a charity expedition so I thought the nice old RAF might want to help out. What with me being ex-RAF and them being able to get maps of anywhere for peanuts!
Anyone else got any helpful suggestions?

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2006, 09:35
Hangar On, not bitter but fact of life. Everything is priced in beans nowadays. Even 8 years ago we ordered a special map (civvie) for BBMF to use around Manchester. After they provided it AIDU tried to stick us with a bill.

We refused on two counts. One was they had not given us the price before hand and the other was the RAF equivalent did not have a visual corridor on.

You might be able to get 'free' out of date maps but QRs even specify what happens to these to.

As you say, it is for charity, now have you tried one of the civilian cartographers? They might be prepared to sponsor you and possibly even give you a tasking.

Hangar On
10th Mar 2006, 09:40
Okay, fair enough but I'd like to try anyway.

So do people think the link in the first reply is the best bet? I was ideally after the people who flight planning send requests for overseas maps to.

I once got a load of French maps for an adventure training thing, they are the kind of thing I want but for a different area.

stiknruda
10th Mar 2006, 10:38
Hangar on - I'm not remotely bitter, really enjoyed my time in, still have friends in and visit them.

I am however, realistic and it all has to do with entitlement.

Even if it is for charity, you will no doubt incur some costs - civ-air, ground transport, hotac, etc. The maps will probably be a minor cost.

Hope that you have a good trip to a very interesting part of the globe!

Stik

A2QFI
10th Mar 2006, 12:15
They won't be free but they will probably have what you want

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/store_info_coventgarden.htm

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2006, 15:49
Hangar On, you need to contact No 1 AIDU at Northolt.

If you can get a look at the Map and Chart catalogue first that will help you decide what you want. I would guess you need the JOG(Gnd). I am also guessing that that area will be US assigned and therefore the maps would cost.

Hangar On
14th Mar 2006, 18:49
Hangar On, you need to contact No 1 AIDU at Northolt.
If you can get a look at the Map and Chart catalogue first that will help you decide what you want. I would guess you need the JOG(Gnd). I am also guessing that that area will be US assigned and therefore the maps would cost.

Thanks, I think these are the people I was after I just couldn't quite remember the name.

I'll have a google for it but if anyone has the address or phone number then I'd be very grateful if you could PM them to me.

Cheers.

Pontius Navigator
14th Mar 2006, 18:54
I gave you the address, what more do you need?

And the phone number? Ring the MOD Operattor, it must be in the book. Ask for No 1 AIDU Sales.

And you are going to Khazakstan:bored:

Hangar On
14th Mar 2006, 19:06
Yeah, i've emailed them now, thanks :)

Oh, and Khazakstan will be a picnic compared to the countries en-route :eek: