PDA

View Full Version : Have you overcome Tourettes in your career

Widger
9th Mar 2006, 15:04
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tourette/detail_tourette.htm#56593231The thread about nicknames got me thinking. Above is a link to a site about Tourettes Syndrome. I have been a mild sufferer since my teen years but have still managed to make a success of my career. I know of a least one other (a pilot) who also has mild tourettes of the sniff and blink type. Does anyone else on Pprune suffer from this, at times frustrating condition? I would imagine a pilot suffering from an extreme condition, would be quite humerous on the cabin address! Don't worry about jokes either, I will not be offended!

Pandalet
9th Mar 2006, 15:23
At the risk of sounding teenaged and wide eyed (:sad:), I'd just like to say that looking at all the fun 'n games I'm going to have to go through with a mostly-functioning physicality (I'm still convinced my elbows shouldn't bend both ways), that you've managed to do it all with Tourettes on top... power to you :ok:

Wyler
9th Mar 2006, 15:37
I did have it but ARSE I'm OK now KNOB

Widger
9th Mar 2006, 15:40
Pandalet, thanks for your comments. I've not posted this in some narcissistic (SP?) way to try and say "hey look at me" but rather than a geniune interest in knowing if there are any other "professionals" out there who are also sufferers? It is quite funny watching some of the programmes about acute sufferers, which fortunately I am not, but anyone else out there suffer? Just seen the last post which did make me LARRRRF! *****, W*****

airship
9th Mar 2006, 15:45
My urge to suddenly swear uncontrollably at some idiot who I believe completely warranted it was cured because I learned from an early stage that it could have unpleasant consequences. And I never for a moment thought that I had Tourettes... :O

Mac the Knife
9th Mar 2006, 16:07
This'll probably earn me a trip to the sin bin but anyway...

Mute Tourette's Syndrome

Hmmm. Someone doesn't like me using their image and has replaced it!

Just Google for "Mute Tourette's" if you want to see what it was

:ok:

Lon More
9th Mar 2006, 16:28
Mack very funny, saved that before it gets deleted.
During my career i did tend to swear a lot - Mrs. LM just said, "No sh1t Sherlock." - but did learn very quickly to take my finger/foot off the Tx switch and AFAIK only got caught out once.

Jerricho
10th Mar 2006, 01:43
Plazbot came down with Tourettes when he was in Canada for an ATC interview. True story. He was walking around the Nav Canada Training Institute swearing like a trooper. Great was to impress a prospective employer Plaz :p

XXTSGR
10th Mar 2006, 07:48
I take it that no Australians will be replying to this thread? ;) :ok:

SLFguy
10th Mar 2006, 07:59
I just sooooo wish I had known about Tourettes when I was 12......oh what hours of endless fun we could of had down at the supermarket...:rolleyes:

munkypuzel
10th Mar 2006, 08:45
Does anybody watch? how true to life is Martys condition?

Very amusing in the drama...:)

BelfastChild
10th Mar 2006, 11:13
Thanks Mac - googled for Mute Tourette's. VERY AMUSING! I laughed so loud that everyone around me wondered what my problem was

Taildragger55
10th Mar 2006, 11:46
I got sacked from me job over it.

Bloody ATC management.

(I dunno how you would diagnose Tourettes in Dublin,. Every **^£$% one uses *&* bad language all the *&^%$ time.)

The SSK
10th Mar 2006, 11:50
Doesn't seem to have done Michael O'Leary any harm

Lon More
10th Mar 2006, 12:16
Doesn't seem to have done Michael O'Leary any harm or Father Jack

lasernigel
10th Mar 2006, 12:21
:mad: ing :mad: ed :mad: ers basically NO.:ok:

Lon More
10th Mar 2006, 12:29
Sparks working hard on a recalcitrant radar. Young Rupert wanders past and asks, "Er yew heving twuble, Cawpwul?"
Corporal straightens up and looks the young officer up and down, "The :mad:ing :mad:er's :mad:ed, Sir"

Don't think he was really worried about his career