PDA

View Full Version : Meditation

Spinflight
9th Mar 2006, 14:43
Anyone tried it?

I don't buy the whole eastern mysticism angle or the new age type hippie stuff.

Reading a bit on it though the science appears to be quite reasonable, at least so far as attempting to abolish thoughts in order to rest your brain. I dunno about enlightenment etc as one has never attempted said procedure but wondered whether any prooners had experiences with meditation.

Hell Bob Appleyard used to meditate half of the night instead of sleeping and he remains one of the finest all-round bowlers we have ever produced.

airship
9th Mar 2006, 16:32
I seem to go through a phase quite regularly recently where I mull over just what it is that I'm supposed to be doing with myself during my short sojourn on the planet as a human-being. And not just job-wise either. The problem is that these types of reflections don't merge well with modern life. Or a lack of capital. Before I know it, the weekend's over... :{

Now, if only one had an indeterminate period available for reflection, a supportive family and reasonably temperate surroundings available, perhaps I'd attempt what Ram Bahadur Bamjan (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4479240.stm) is doing?!

Betcha he wouldn't have been doing that if he'd been born 80 years before. If I remember correctly, that part of the Himalayan foothills were rife with man-eating leopards and tigers...?! :(

tilewood
9th Mar 2006, 16:57
I find I get a strong urge to meditate after about 4 pints,
but then I find however hard I try, I can't. :uhoh:

acbus1
9th Mar 2006, 17:36
Worry not, airship, I've been wondering exactly the same thing for many years.

Still no closer to an answer. :(

Now shurrup, everyone.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :suspect:

jimgriff
9th Mar 2006, 20:46
Dont knock it you havn't tried it. It works. But it pays to go on a course to learn it properly.
I went on one where we did meditation, massage and some other bits and bobs such as reflexology. It was great fun as we got to rub smelly oils into some good looking ladies for 10 weeks:)

tilewood
9th Mar 2006, 20:50
Jimgriff.

My mind's just gone blank and I'm feeling more relaxed already - now pass
me the oils!

Seriously I am sure there is something in this. The power of the mind
and subconscious is greater than we know, and meditation taps into
it.

I would be very interested in learning how to meditate properly.

jimgriff
9th Mar 2006, 21:03
There are courses run in most towns. As long as you dont get religion thrown in as part of the deal it's fab.

And yes, with practice meditation works.:zzz:

frostbite
9th Mar 2006, 21:07
Don't ACAS offer a service?

chiglet
9th Mar 2006, 21:39
Did some meditatation when I did my 1st degree Reiki..reccomended, as is the Reiki
watp,iktch

powdermonkey
10th Mar 2006, 00:02
Did TM for a while, pretty good, but trying to get my brain to slow down is like trying to stop a Typhoon.....it's hard enough to get it to think in one direction, let alone slow it down. Still, it did me no harm and keep thinking I should get back to it. Firmly convinced it is a healthy and useful thing to master. Sitting still for 20 mins twice a day is yet another problem I need to surmount. :ugh:

Spinflight
10th Mar 2006, 00:21
Seems to have been developed independently by different cultures at different times. Different religions offering different techniques and aims...

They all seem to boil down to preventing thoughts through use of a mantra, whether that be ooooohhhhhhhhmmmm or whatever.

I do recall a proggie on the TV in the late 80s / early 90s which delved into people entering into alpha brainwave mode, which is basically the same thing, slowing the brain down to a lower level of activity.

There's some interesting physiology behind it, different parts of the brain operating to different stimuli and at different rates.

Heard of a chap who reduced his sleep cycle to 1 1/2 hours a day using meditation and Lady Thatcher mentions using meditative techniques to reduce her sleeping time per day to 4 hours so that she could do more work.

The most interesting work I've found on meditation was by one Aleister Crowley, who was rather a fascinating individual all round. :)