PDA

View Full Version : Do you have what it takes?

Ozzy
9th Mar 2006, 14:00
10 out of 17 on first try, I survived...

Try it for yourself. (http://www.spicolisbarleybin.com/games/survival.swf)

Ozzy

Parapunter
9th Mar 2006, 14:10
I'm a dead man:{

The SSK
9th Mar 2006, 14:10
9 out of 17, but when I go it will either be a dog, a shark or a snake that gets me.

Pandalet
9th Mar 2006, 14:14
11 out of 17 - apparently, I'm badly maimed, but alive...

Turns out I suck quite badly at wilderness survival :hmm:

angels
9th Mar 2006, 14:18
Quite pleased with 13/17.

lexxity
9th Mar 2006, 14:18
13/17 It's the snakes or sharks that'll kill me.

Taildragger55
9th Mar 2006, 14:26
13/17 too. Swim away from the fueslage? Ok.

brockenspectre
9th Mar 2006, 14:29
Cooer - I guess I have been paying attention after all... it probably also helps that I have been on the planet quite a while and seen and done a fair bit :ok:

You scored 17 out of 17.
You have what it takes to be an extreme survivor
Reward yourself with a Gloria Gaynor “I will survive” T-shirt, and feel free to taunt the predatory animal of your choice.

Yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :E :E :E

G-CPTN
9th Mar 2006, 14:44
Like lexxity. We don't get that many sharks in the Tyne, or poisonous snakes 'round here (apart from the adder). Good with dogs me (had a lot of practice as a yoof).

What about tigers and bears (especially white ones)?

airship
9th Mar 2006, 14:53
What a silly quiz. I realised this as soon as I read the first multiple-choice question:

An aggresive dog is coming towards you. What would you do?

□Look it in the eyes and back away.
□Throw something to distract it.
□Stand still until it goes away.

In order to seriously answer the question, these additional choices should have been available:

□Remove the safety on your 12 bore.
□Wind the window back up.
□Instruct your pet Bengal tiger to roar.
□Unleash your pet Bengal tiger.

:zzz: ;)

acbus1
9th Mar 2006, 14:54
9/17

Badly injured/maimed for life.

Well...........that's another cheery thread dealt with.

:{

tall and tasty
9th Mar 2006, 14:54
I can't get it to load!!!! :{

Have to go else where where super fast connections makes anything possible

TnT:p

RaraAvis
9th Mar 2006, 15:36
12 out of 17, will survive but badly injured or maimed for life...:sad:
Well, staring down sharks does not get my vote:hmm:
They really don't give a $hite......:ouch:

R4+Z
9th Mar 2006, 15:48
Funny but none of the options of dealing with a snake bite are actually what you should do!

You should make a bandage from what is available and apply it tightly to the affected limb working away from the torso towards the bite. At least that is what I was taught.

colmac747
9th Mar 2006, 15:51
11/17 which is passable. Sadly, i'm maimed for life:mad:

acbus1
9th Mar 2006, 15:52
Lets face it.....sitting in front of a pooter clicking boxes just isn't like real life.

A real life questionnaire would have a fourth alternative.....

"[email protected] yer pants and freeze to the spot, brain numb with terror."

Select that every question and you'd get 100%

Come on, admit I'm right! :* :}

Techman
9th Mar 2006, 16:03
14/17. It's the mundane stuff that will do me in. Or snakes.

Pandalet
9th Mar 2006, 16:13
Well, staring down sharks does not get my vote:hmm:
They really don't give a $hite......:ouch:

Actually, strangely enough, sharks prefer to attack from behind, and can tell when you're looking at them. I know divers who have been ascending from a dive, and saw a shark swimming backwards and forwards in front of them, only to realise there was another one sneaking up behind while they were distracted - this is an absolutely true story!

When ascending from a dive, if you run into sharks, the advice is to ascend back to back (you were diving with a buddy, right? :hmm:), so the sharks always think they're facing someone.

Ozzy
9th Mar 2006, 16:18
Right, if the sh!te hits the fan I'm with brockenspectre :8

Ozzy

con-pilot
9th Mar 2006, 20:08
14/17, guess I'll surive.

d2k73
9th Mar 2006, 20:25
15/17 "I will survive!"

tilewood
9th Mar 2006, 20:32
10/17 I guess the survival training at Tesco's checkout didn't help!! :ugh:

SoundBarrier
9th Mar 2006, 20:33
12/17.

I was let down by my lack of shark exposure coming from a landlocked country. I rekon a good b1tch slap on the snout would be pretty good though. In my dying moments calling, "Who's da b1tch now!!"

RaraAvis
10th Mar 2006, 00:54
Actually, strangely enough, sharks prefer to attack from behind, and can tell when you're looking at them. I know divers who have been ascending from a dive, and saw a shark swimming backwards and forwards in front of them, only to realise there was another one sneaking up behind while they were distracted - this is an absolutely true story!

When ascending from a dive, if you run into sharks, the advice is to ascend back to back (you were diving with a buddy, right? ), so the sharks always think they're facing someone.
Heard they're really good at reading hand signals as well... Just flip 'em and off they go, all insulted and generally grumpy...:rolleyes:
Sharks don't go out of their way to attack people, we're not on their usual lunch menu.

When ascending from a dive in the shark infested waters, especially when there are a few of them biggus fishus's:eek: floating about, the most common thing to do is of course slowly ascend to the safety stop and do so back to back, not for any hope in hell of staring off the lurking sharks but simply following the good ol'e self preservation instinct...

If, and the chance of this happening is impossibly rare of course, if there's a danger of an actual attack, divers come well prepared... Why do you think we carry a dive knife???
The lovely thing does come with a full set of instructions of course, clearly stating the obvious: in the case of a shark attack, swiftly stab your dive buddy and then swim baby, swim as fast as you can...:}:p:O

PS: How does a shark actually swim backwards???:confused:

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Mar 2006, 05:50
Even more interesting if you're spearfishing...:}

17/17

10th Mar 2006, 06:58
10 correct. Badly injured or maimed for life.

I'd rather be dead.

emergov
10th Mar 2006, 07:27
that quiz is just plain wrong on 5 out of 17 answers, so if any of you got 9,10 or 11, go treat yourself to a Gloria Gaynor T-shirt.

1. Sharks' eyes are sucked in to their skulls as they attack - protects them from nasty eye-gouging fight-back incidents;
2. Contrary to poular belief, there is nothing to suggest a shark even cares if you have a face - he is used to eating fish, after all;
3. Don't allow your snake bite to bleed and start walking. Snake venom is carried in the lymphatic system, not blood, and walking, or any muscular activity serves to distribute the venom. Be still, and PIMM bandage.
4. I'd shelter under an overpass, in my car, thanks; and
5. Swim away from the "massive suction" as your plane goes down??? give me strength.

other than that, good quiz.

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Mar 2006, 08:09
Sharks' eyes are covered by an eyelid called a nictitating membrane at the moment of taking a bite of anything unknown. They're not sucked back into the skull AFAIK.

RaraAvis
10th Mar 2006, 08:35
Yep, looks like they're blinking 'upside down', 'eyelid'-(membrane) coming upwards from the bottom bit of the eye.... Strangely fascinating....:O:suspect:

They do swim around, casually 'winking' at times, never been the 'unknown' to be bitten... yet...

con-pilot
10th Mar 2006, 16:55
eme, sorry but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on number 4.

4. I'd shelter under an overpass, in my car, thanks;

For small tornadoes F-2 or less you would probably be okay, however, with monster tornadoes such as the one that leveled a huge section of Oklahoma City and surrounding communities in 1999, later be classified as an F-6, (the strongest tornado ever recorded in the world) many people that took shelter under an overpass where killed.

The primary reason sheltering under an overpass is a dangerous idea is the venturi effect the shape of the overpass creates causes the wind speed of the tornado to increase, in some cases by 30% or more.

However, with that being said, the Oklahoma City tornado of 1999 was so powerful it stripped the pavement from the highways and streets. So getting out of your vehicle and laying down in a ditch is not such a great idea either.

Me? If I was caught out in the open in my car in the path of a monster tornado I'd try to out run the blasted thing. While the wind speed inside the tornado can exceed 250 MPH, the funnel it's self usually only travels over the ground at 30 to 50 MPH.

My Cadillac can do a 120 MPH easily.:E

Gingerbread Man
10th Mar 2006, 23:36
I was under the impression that lying in a ditch was an attempt to get as little air between you and the ground as possible, making it more difficult for you to be swept away.

GBM :}

con-pilot
10th Mar 2006, 23:43
I understand GBM, but you know there is not much air between the dirt and the pavement either.:E

Jinkster
10th Mar 2006, 23:43
:eek: 11 out of 17

James Vaughan
10th Mar 2006, 23:45
10 out of 17

emergov
11th Mar 2006, 11:51
thanks con, I didn't know that. As for the nictitating membrane - will the eye gouge still work?

I would have thought the SOP for shark attack would be to slowly sink to the bottom of the ocean leaking blood from several holes.

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Mar 2006, 05:14
Eye gouge should work as it's only a toughish membrane but anything sticking out will be snapped at so lunging at them with an arm out isn't always a good idea. When spearing I usually just poke at them with the speargun to get them to keep their distance or in worst case, give up my supper as that's all they're really after...:(

Romeo Delta
12th Mar 2006, 05:27
10 outta 17.

I, too, disagree with the "let it bleed and walk if bitten" advice. Keep still.