PDA

View Full Version : Are QF pilots too conservative?

Angle of Attack
9th Mar 2006, 09:47
No I am not talking about decision making and command decisions, what I am talking about is attitude...

My opinion is that most QF pilots are middle class conservatives and when it comes to EBA's or collective decisions, they have a spine like a jellyfish... All they are concerned about is bagging this that and them and not backing up anything they talk about. So when it comes to industrial matters, Qf pilots are like puppets under a string, in complete control by management, just look at the last EBA. Having said this more than 40% voted against the last EBA so I'm not saying this about all of them. Dont get me wrong, the vast majority of pilots in QF are fantastic operators and operate extremely professionally. But in this climate they are completely outgunned, and until they make a stance they are cannon fodder for management. Do they realise it?

Please just serious opinions and not personal attacks... do you think so?

Keg
9th Mar 2006, 12:30
...until they make a stance they are cannon fodder for management. Do they realise it?

Forty two percent of us do....probably a bit more than that since the last EBA! :mad:

Lodown
9th Mar 2006, 12:43
Too conservative? No.
Too something? Yes.
Niaive? Apathetic? Comfortable? Timid? Caught by the short and curlies?
To be fair, there's not a lot they can do. Dixon "needs" to make some cost cuts. He also has more pilots than he envisions QF needs in the future, thanks to the success of J*, and now a challenge by SIA has been successfully repelled. What a great situation for him to be in! He can now come down hard on the pilots. He'll know when the pressure is about right when the resignation rate amongst the mid-40 year olds for other airlines approaches a reasonable number, then he'll ease off the screws to retain those left.

DutchRoll
9th Mar 2006, 20:10
Whichever way you look at it, 'we' are an odd bunch of people. I observed debates over the last EBA which bordered on the bizarre. Along the lines of: 'well, if big bubba wants to have his way with me, there's no point in resisting - I may as well close my eyes and think of something pleasant. Besides, I'm sure it won't take long, and in any case I have a nice colour TV here and a comfy pillow and he's offering me a pack of lollies. And maybe next year he'll be moved to a different cell block'.

Sunfish
9th Mar 2006, 21:25
Pardon me, but it would be highly instructive to hear your comments about the upheavel in Engineering.

Pass-A-Frozo
10th Mar 2006, 03:41
Whichever way you look at it, 'we' are an odd bunch of people.

Just look at the motley crew taken in from your previous employer :E

Keg
10th Mar 2006, 03:57
Ah, so you do know something about the airline business PAFie! I agree entirely, the former zoom baggers are much harder work than the ex cadets! :E :}

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
10th Mar 2006, 11:00
3 words: "I'm allright, Jack".
They're not hurting enough (yet) to get 'radical'.

Pass-A-Frozo
10th Mar 2006, 12:15
Ah, so you do know something about the airline business PAFie! I agree entirely, the former zoom baggers are much harder work than the ex cadets! :E :}

Believe it or not.. you don't have to be an employee of an organisation to understand something about the job. If that's the case, no pilot has a right to mention a single thing about management, engineering, flight attdnt's, inflight catering etc.. ;)

Tell me you don't wish to debate the entire millitary vs. cadet thing ?

Pass-A-Frozo
10th Mar 2006, 12:39
:E Believe it or not.. I'm walking on air, I never thought I could feel so free.. Flying away on a wing and a prayer... :E

Keg
10th Mar 2006, 13:44
.. you don't have to be an employee of an organisation to understand something about the job. If that's the case, no pilot has a right to mention a single thing about management, engineering, flight attdnt's, inflight catering etc.. ;)

Of course, that assumes that 'no pilot' actually hasn't had a job in management, or engineering or as a F/A. Of my immediate colleagues (pilots) whom I spent some considerable amount of time with, two engineers, two F/As (one of whom now a Captain...g'day Barney) and so on- and that was either immediately before or immediately after gaining our CPLs a dozen years ago. Some of us have also had 'other' interests which include both business and 'management'. I can give you a call to discuss next time I'm passing through fort fumble if you'd like! :E

Tell me you don't wish to debate the entire millitary vs. cadet thing ?

Pup. You'll work it out eventually! Hook, line and sinker! :}