PDA

View Full Version : What was your nickname in school and why?

powdermonkey
9th Mar 2006, 08:59
Hi, thought it would be fun to find out what everyone's nickname in school was;
I'll start. Mine was Frog/or Kermit due to being half french and having pigeon English when I started secondary school in Ireland.
Anyone else care to give an insight into their past?

Jamongris
9th Mar 2006, 09:15
Mine was Gnomewood, or sometimes Gnome for short. It was quite simple to explain, my surname is Homewood and I'm not particulary tall, or vertically challenged to use its current PC form.

edusaeanna
9th Mar 2006, 09:22
Spanner, Banana...for obvious reasons...and Pigeon, because I did my neck at one point and to get it to un-click I had to move it forward...much like a pigeon on the move...mean b*stards. High school is the home of evil....hated the place.

CargoMatatu
9th Mar 2006, 09:52
"Kaffir", or "Kaff" for short! Inherited it from my older brother.

This name was issued because we were originally from Seth Efrika!

Ver un-pc we all were in those days. Didn't hurt anyone, though:ok:

Parapunter
9th Mar 2006, 09:55
Not telling mine. Howver we did have a guy at school with a twitch someone stevens....who was called shaking stevens.

powdermonkey
9th Mar 2006, 09:59
Parapunter, if you post on this thread, YOU MUST REVEAL,so go on, spill it, nickname please?

tall and tasty
9th Mar 2006, 11:06
Ok at school was Larry the lamb! don't ask why but very quiet and timmid

One the ramp - Lady Di, TnT and Ribenia (something to do with the amount I drank!)

TnT:O

watergate
9th Mar 2006, 11:16
Svarte - a Danish version of the German word for black. Had to do with my hair - back then.

Pandalet
9th Mar 2006, 11:24
Fido, mainly because I was fairly, umm, plain back then. Oh, wait, I still am now.

Actually, I have no idea why I even posted this:(

Wyler
9th Mar 2006, 11:35
'Speckled Fly Catcher' cos I was small with loads of freckles. Named after a North Devon bird.:O

Local shop owner used to yell 'Thieving Little B*stard' at me every Friday lunchtime.:E

My school nickname was given to me by the school bully, a chap named Freddie Roulstone. Went back home many years later to find he was the campest queen in the town, Skirts, make up, the lot.:ok:

Whirlygig
9th Mar 2006, 12:02
My surname is one syllable with an "s" on the end so my nickname ended - "sie" i.e. Whirlsie!

They weren't too imaginative in rural Bedfordshire!

Cheers

Whirlsie

GeeseRunner
9th Mar 2006, 12:19
Mine was Daz which in light of the UK Eurovision Song contest entry this year may become a bit of an embarrassment

On the other hand the UK may win !!! What are the chances of that ????

Ace Rimmer
9th Mar 2006, 12:26
Was called Tex or Ted then 'Dog' later 'Mutt' because the year after we moved to the UK (and me being half a seppo) was the summer of 76 (all that hot weather) and only 'mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun' so Mad Dog (which I didn't mind) then shortened to Dog and later lengthened again to Mutt.

Knew a bloke called Graham Grahame inevitably known as 'hoss'

welliewanger
9th Mar 2006, 12:33
In the fencing team I was called Runt because I was a year younger than everyone else.
When I studied in South Africa they called me Limey.
The most common name though was a (not) very witty alteration to my real name (Dominic) I was just called Dim.

Oh, what friends I had back then!:ouch:

The SSK
9th Mar 2006, 12:36
I was called Hairy, for no reason - I hope - other than it alliterated (?) nicely with my surname. It was well-known enough that even some of the teachers used it.

tilewood
9th Mar 2006, 12:53
Not the 'Hairy Fairy!' :}

Taildragger67
9th Mar 2006, 14:21
Chap next to me in about the third maths lesson in high school - "helping" me with a couple of things I didn't quite cotton on to (start of a trend, really... ) as the teacher was also trying to explain it got told to butt out as follows: "mind your own business you old granny"... so that was his handle for the next six years, wannit... and if last year's reunion is anything to go by, for many to come!

Mine was just 'cordial'... alliterated with my surname. Either that or "oi, d*&@%£$d!"

birdlady
9th Mar 2006, 14:36
Rubber because of my surname or shags to my close friends..... mean b:mad: :mad: ;)

sixmilehighclub
9th Mar 2006, 14:40
Bonzai Bum. :confused:

I have no idea why. I have more of a J-Lo than a Kylie. Just went to school with a bunch of sarcastic idiots. Though I used to take the pish out of myself so probably only have myself to blame!! No harm done.

Right.... back to councelling...:\

VitaminGee
9th Mar 2006, 14:52
Lochie - derived from Loch Ness Monster as I was so much bigger than my comtemporaries. (The hump didn't appear until later thanks to thousands of hours with Westlands' finest strapped to my back!!) :ouch: :{

Widger
9th Mar 2006, 14:54
At Scouts I was known as "Twitch" because of my Tourettes F***i**, ******,*******,*****. Didn't mind that so much because it was not mailicious. But, at school I was known as Worzel Gummidge, because at this particular Grammer School, I was one of few from a Council Estate.I can stick two fingers up at them all now.....bunch of *****, *****, ****losers...ooh sorry that's the Tourettes again!

Maude Charlee
9th Mar 2006, 15:20
Mine was Jock, unsurprising for a wee Scots lad having moved to England. However, initially it was Haggis, then Jockstrap, then Little Jock (cos my older brother was already called Jock, or Big Jock to my mates) until my bro left school, then it was just Jock. Long after I lost my accent I was still called Jock, and even went through secondary school with people who had no idea that it was a nickname. Duh! :hmm:

Rollingthunder
9th Mar 2006, 15:33
Didn't have one until senior year when I became Head Prefect. Then I was called Sir. Still am, come to think of it.

karrank
9th Mar 2006, 20:32
Was GRONK to my close friends; to do with flatus, and the charming intellectual character from "It's About Time" which nobody will remember. Was TERMITE to others due to undiscerning eating habits, LURCH to some due to a close resemblance.

Fliegenmong
9th Mar 2006, 20:41
I was known as CB, not a thundestorm.....

(Cervical bruiser):E

Disguise Delimit
9th Mar 2006, 20:42
I was known as Tripod.....:8

Howard Hughes
9th Mar 2006, 20:54
My surname is one syllable with an "s" on the end so my nickname ended - "sie" i.e. Whirlsie!
That's funny I have the same nickname, my surname is also 1 syllable ending in "s", so for as long as I can remember I have been known as Hughesie, or some such like.....
Cheers, HH.:ok:

TURIN
9th Mar 2006, 21:24
So that's got all your online bank passwords. Just need to get your dates of birth and I'm sorted!!:suspect:

All the best,

Buckethead!!:oh:

1DC
9th Mar 2006, 21:28
Broke a bottle of something in the chemistry lab during my second year and the school was evacuated because of the smell. I was known as stinker from then on..

G-CPTN
9th Mar 2006, 21:39
Someone (not me) dropped a pressure siphon of sulpher dioxide. School WAS evacuated PDQ. It was Michael (Dickie) Bird Sir!

broadreach
10th Mar 2006, 01:28
Thermometer. Thin as a toothpick, tall and with a reddish complexion. Only years later did I twig to how they took their thermometers, i.e. not under the tongue.

Jerricho
10th Mar 2006, 01:38
Cornelius.........it's a LONG story.

(Nothing to do with Planet of the Apes)

vapilot2004
10th Mar 2006, 03:03
From a brief period of using a hyphenated surname in HS, I was greeted for a year or so with 'Ander-Skull". Didn't like it much and liked the nickname's creator even less.

I can't believe I am telling anyone this - the :mad: name might come back to haunt me. :}

Not to go too far off topic, but how many of us here (besides myself) create privately amusing names for various people in our daily lives ?

Romeo Delta
10th Mar 2006, 04:34
My nickname in HS followed me from grade school, and was... (drum roll please)... "Big". Because I was. Bigger than all the rest. Once I got into adulthood, I was christened "Lightning" (fastest fat man on the planet). There are still some in the Seattle area that know me only as Lightning, my real name means nothing to them. Once I moved to Florida, I my name expanded from "Big" to "Big Dog", which then followed me to New Zealand.

And yes, I think MANY of us have little pet nicknames for certain people that they do not know about (and better they don't). :E

RiskyRossco
10th Mar 2006, 04:38
It was a really, really, really subtle and pithy epithet.
"Big, fat boss!". With the many and quite varied rhymes one can accomplish, if one is of a particularly evil disposition.
Later on, with maturity starting to rear its mellowed head, came "General". It's a surname thing. Thing of the right general and you win a prize!
:p

Cameronian
10th Mar 2006, 05:19
Didn't have a nickname at school - we didn't really do them there - but was christened Hamish by one and all at Nottingham University. Maybe I really was the only Scot there at the time!
Now that I live abroad I've been unsuccessfully (so far) dropping hints to all who come to visit from noble Caledonia that I want a Jimmy Wig!

IB4138
10th Mar 2006, 05:35
I refuse to provide this information, on the grounds it may incrimenate me and if I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

Trog

frostbite
10th Mar 2006, 12:29
Didn't have one I was aware of but I did like that 'BIFFO' awarded to a senior copper some years ago.

Apparently, he was very proud of it, being unaware that his colleagues had chosen it because he was a 'Big Ignorant Fat F**ker from Oldham'.

powdermonkey
10th Mar 2006, 12:44
We use BIFFO for people from county OFFALY!!!

Navajo8686
10th Mar 2006, 12:58
I was known as "Bernie the Bolt" - and not because I could shoot it!

He (Bernie the Bolt) was an integral part of 'The Golden Shot' at the time and as my surname starts "Burn" it all seemed to fit

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2006, 13:01
Thing of the right general and you win a prize!
:p

Wade? Bet it ISN'T Motors :ok:

VitaminGee
10th Mar 2006, 13:33
Risky,

Think of the right general and you win a prize!

Lee, perchance?

VG:ok:

cessna l plate
12th Mar 2006, 11:36
School kids can be cruel, but adults are worse. A bloke I know has been awarded the nickname of "Dutchman"

He was caught on a night shift a couple of years ago in a van in the corner of the yard with his phone in one hand (girlfreind on the other end) and his old man in the other, doing what I beleive the Royal Marines call "giving it the nifty fifty"

So Andy van W****r became the dutchman!
Cruel sods

Foss
12th Mar 2006, 19:20
Alarmingly, mine used to be Psycho, 'case I was into hunting, fishing, karate 'n kickboxing and stuff. Now, it's just Fos:)

My younger brother though is named Robin. In school, me and my friends started calling him 'Bobbin', as in a reel of thread, then that turned into 'Spool', so I now call him 'Bob' while other mates stil ask 'how's Spool doing'.

Fos

ShyTorque
12th Mar 2006, 21:54
Milk Tray Man after a character in an advert, because many years ago I was slim, very fit, athletic and was often dressed in black. I could climb a rope using only my hands.

I sometimes still wear black..... :(

It's probably 'cos I ate too many chocolates....

tilewood
12th Mar 2006, 22:27
LTS......"Long Tall Streak"

It doesn't apply any more. I am still tall, but filled out now, and I
haven't streaked since the police asked me to stop!! :cool:

Whirlygig
13th Mar 2006, 00:33
I could climb a rope using only my hands
Only your hands?

...hmmm that would be Milk Tray Man indeed!

Cheers

Whirls

jon s gull
13th Mar 2006, 01:19
My brothes nickname began as 'stringbean', he was skinny and of a greenish hue. Naturally I became 'little bean', followed closely by 'pea'.

av8boy
13th Mar 2006, 03:52
"Mr. Big."

Didn't have to do with height or weight though... :uhoh:

powdermonkey
13th Mar 2006, 09:20
Talking of cruel children....when I was in school, a poor unfortunate lad got shall we say "excited" in the showers, poor guy, it was totally accidental, but was forever called "steamy" after that. Ouch, that was tough to carry.
and NO it was NOT me!!

tall and tasty
13th Mar 2006, 09:23
At nursary I was Marina from the kids programme Stingray. A little boy called Si used to sing it all day " Marina aqua marina" it used to get on my nerves.

But looking back I guess I should have been flattered!

TnT:O

Hobgoblin
15th Mar 2006, 22:52
Used to hate mine as it was aimed at my red hair (I had hair then!) or tall and skinny physique (which I wish I still had) and used to ignore anyone using it to address me - even teachers.
Made peace with all the nicknames by the time school ended. Still despise the school though. Agree with Eduseanna, hated the f*&^%$(ing place, still do and prob'ly always will.
One guy was called Skeletor - looked like him too - still find it funny when I remember what he looked like. Poor little sod.

Disguise Delimit
16th Mar 2006, 05:30
A friend's surname was Dasey (coincidentally, his father was a florist!!) so he was called Whoopsy. Little brother was Upsy.

In more recent times, my son went to school with a boy they called Joe, because he was an Ugly Kid. (Whatever happened to that group? One song and they were gone.)