PDA

View Full Version : QF26 & QF25 LAX-AKL-LAX

weasil
9th Mar 2006, 08:16
I'm a pilot for US Airways and recently travelled standby on QANTAS with my wife and 2yr old boy using the interline agreement (ZED).
We were headed to Auckland for a wedding and had a very enjoyable experience on QANTAS. Thanks to the cabin crew for making us so welcome, and thanks to the flight crew for getting us there and back. It was the first time my 2 yr old had been on such a long flight and the flight attendants were very good with him.

As a commuter I spend half my life on domestic flights in the US and had begun to forget what great service was all about. Thank you.

Angle of Attack
9th Mar 2006, 09:08
Weasil, what a refreshing post! No bagging, no vitriol just a good old fasioned compliment! Qantas flight attendants do get bagged quite a bit in these forums but I think overall they are a great bunch and actually service levels are quite high compared to many Airlines of similar calibre. Sometimes we dont really know how good it is until we have other experiences! With the climate of increasing pressure of QF flight attendants with wages , conditions, basings, I think its a testiment to their professionalism! No, Im not a flight attendant but heres a thumbs up for you guys and girls from me also!

Wanikiba_pilot
10th Mar 2006, 10:21
Weasil,

Quick question...
Did you have to pay a fuel surcharge?

Just curious.

WP

weasil
10th Mar 2006, 14:05
There was a total of about $20 in taxes on top of the zed segment fare. Not sure what they were for.

pakeha-boy
10th Mar 2006, 15:03
Weasil....ditto on your comments....I fly this route on a monthly basis as I commute out of Auckland....the QF crews are always spot on,friendly,and always up for a good chinwaggle....have nothing but good to say about them...6mths ago ,found a slug in my salad(I managed to eat its head)....they gave me a complimenty bottle of bubbly to wash it down,now thats service.....They have always been great to travel on.........I,m "west" USAirways....kia ora

galaxy flyer
11th Mar 2006, 01:30
Pakeha-boy:

Are you a AKL-LAX US pilot commuter? At EAL, we had a Captain, SYD-NYC; he was a champ commuter for years (Bill Alexander ret circa 1988), but better skeds then. You are a champ today.

GF

twiggs
11th Mar 2006, 01:34
Weasil,

Quick question...
Did you have to pay a fuel surcharge?

Just curious.

WP

To answer your question,
other airline staff do not pay the fuel surcharge when they buy a zedfare on QF, and in a lot of cases the actual fare is cheaper than the QEA fare that QF staff get on their own airline (economy fare that is).

pakeha-boy
11th Mar 2006, 04:29
zedfare...from LAX-AKL-LAX.....$198.72 US/QF
zedfare... SFO/AKL/SFO......$420.00 US/AirNZ

Pimp Daddy
11th Mar 2006, 05:14
zedfare...from LAX-AKL-LAX.....$198.72 US/QF

QEA LAX-ALK-LAX A$324.40 or ~ US$235 (incl all taxes and fuel levy)

pakeha-boy
11th Mar 2006, 05:24
PD...not sure where your prices come from..just bought a ticket last week ....total was $198.00/US .....really havent looked at the taxes part...or surcharges.....???????

Pimp Daddy
11th Mar 2006, 05:42
PD...not sure where your prices come from..
That's the Qantas Staff fare LAX-AKL return incl taxes. Someone said the ZEDs were cheaper so popped it up to see if they are.

2b2
11th Mar 2006, 05:48
OT -

Special "Hurry, USA Sale ends etc" fare to Los Angeles from Brisbane in the paper today for the punters- $1949.00 !!!

Cheaper to fly to London - who needs competition, anyway!

twiggs
11th Mar 2006, 08:41
That's the Qantas Staff fare LAX-AKL return incl taxes. Someone said the ZEDs were cheaper so popped it up to see if they are.

QEA one way AKL-LAX is AU$90.00 plus taxes plus AU$35 fuel surcharge.
ZED one way AKL-LAX is US$74.00 plus taxes with no fuel surcharge.
(taxes should be identical)

QEA one way SYD-LAX is AU$135.00 plus taxes plus AU$35 fuel surcharge.
ZED one way SYD-LAX is US$89.00 plus taxes with no fuel surcharge.

Mr Seatback 2
11th Mar 2006, 11:21
Says a lot when it's cheaper to work for another airline to get better staff travel rates ON YOUR OWN CARRIER! :mad:

weasil
11th Mar 2006, 13:02
I can't believe your own carrier makes you pay to fly on them. At US Airways we fly for free if we remain on US flights.

Pakeha boy, you quoted a zedfare on AIr NZ SFO-AKL. That would be an ID95 probably, not a zedfare. We don't have a zed agreement with Air New Zealand.

pakeha-boy
11th Mar 2006, 16:21
Weasil...yeah mate...I stand corrected....the AirNZ is an ID 95....STILL....not a bad rate at all......

Do QF pilots have to pay a "fee" to jumpseat to work on their airline?????,......have heard thats the case....correct me if I,m wrong

twiggs
11th Mar 2006, 23:00
Do QF pilots have to pay a "fee" to jumpseat to work on their airline?????,......have heard thats the case....correct me if I,m wrong
This is another sad thing about QF staff travel.
You have to pay for a normal id ticket to jumpseat for pilots and cabin crew, unlike in the US where you only pay taxes.

Actually there is no provision to list as jumpseat only, it is only used when there is no pax seats available.

weasil
12th Mar 2006, 01:32
It depends on the airline. at US Airways we don't even pay taxes for nonrev travel... it's completely free, and we can list in advance for the jumpseat, even if the flight is not full.

twiggs
12th Mar 2006, 02:49
It depends on the airline.
Wow, you do get looked after at US airways.
My information comes from my friends at NWA.
At NW they do the same with jumpseats, but they must pay taxes only.
They also must pay taxes for other non-rev travel including FOC.