PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new hard drive

BMM389EC
9th Mar 2006, 04:30
If I want to install a new hard drive(the present one is way too small) can I do it myself or do I need an expert? Not too jacked up with computers myself. Can anyone tell me how to do it?
It's actually to upgrade my parents one. Theirs is out of the Ark.
Can anyone also explain the different kinds. I looked on e-bay and there are all sorts of different kinds which I have no idea what it's all about.
Cheers

Binoculars
9th Mar 2006, 07:32
Installing a hard drive is a five minute job for somebody who knows what they're doing and white man's magic for someone who doesn't have a clue. If you type "install hard drive" into google it will provide a myriad of sites which provide step by step instructions. You can peruse any one of them and decide whether you are up to the job before committing yourself. There is certainly nothing special required in the way of mechanical aptitude, as proven by the fact that I've done it. :uhoh:

But if your parents' computer really is out of the ark, it may not be quite as simple as just buying a new hard drive. If you post the specs of the system here somebody with more knowledge than I will be able to tell you whether the motherboard may be too old to make the exercise worthwhile.

BOFH
9th Mar 2006, 22:30
BMM,

there will be no shortage of people here willing to help you, but you must be more specific. Precisely what sort of machine is it (processor/motherboard)? Is there room for an extra drive? Have you looked at the IDE (I presume it's IDE and not MFM or ESDI :eek: ) cable to see if there is a spare port on it? Which operating system is being used? Are you replacing the old drive or supplementing it?

As Binos said, anything made after 2000 will fall somewhere between dead easy and magic. Before 2000 can be ... interesting with the high-capacity modern drives.

BOFH

under_exposed
10th Mar 2006, 07:57
Also what size is the existing drive and what size do you wish to put in?
If it is really that old a computer you may need to source a really small disk (below 1gb). I remember having to make sure partions were not over 32MB!

BMM389EC
10th Mar 2006, 10:14
OK-thanks guys. I think I may just can this idea. Realising that I have no idea what's going on! Cheers