View Full Version : Anti-Ice electrical system HELP

Bell427
8th Mar 2006, 17:33
Hello!
I'm student of mechanical engineering-direction Aeronautics.
I'm doing an project on electrical anti-ice systems on helicopters. This project enables me to pass an exam of electrical engineering.
I've chosen to analize main rotor anti-ice system on AS-532Al because it's quite complex,since it has its own power supply,... e.t.c
Now I am asking you, if any of you could give me some explanation of this kind of systems not regarding to specific type of helicopter. Any help is more then welcome. If you have any tech-books scans, any other type of literature available, you are more then helpfull.

Sincerely
Peter

Shawn Coyle
8th Mar 2006, 21:09
Not sure where you are located, but I was quite impressed by the knowledge of the system shown by the ground school instructors from Helikopter Services of Norway (whatever they are known as now) on the anti-icing system.
See if you can contact them for a chapter on the system. It is very complex, and involves cycling of blade heating elements, slip rings, controllers and the like. What the pilot sees is very simple, but the whole system is quite complex.

Captain Catastrophy
8th Mar 2006, 21:33
If you are purelY interested in rotor icing then the 332 / S 92 are the only commercial systems available that I am aware of and as mentioned above, Helikopter Service would probably be your best bet. There are other anti ice systems fitted - windshield and intakes for example - to a variety of helicopters. Can you be a bit more specific with what you require? Nick Lappos, having been heavily involved with the S92 might be able to help?

NickLappos
9th Mar 2006, 04:56
I don't know the EC systems much, but I am quite familiar with the Sikorsky systems on the UH-60 and the S-92. They are fundamentally multi-zone heated blankets built into the blade that are controlled individually by a controller/distributer that gives the right zones the right power at precisely the right time. An ice rate meter is used to be sure that the zones, timing and power are correct. The heated mats are employed in ever increasing area coverage going back toward the mid airfoil point as the ice rate increases (as measured by the meter).

The system does not anti-ice, it de-ices, because the ice is allowed to form, then disbonded so that CF tosses it away. If anti-ice were attempted, the power demand would exceed the possible generator capability by about 10 times.

The timing of the power is precise, and tosses the ice to the side so that the chunks avoid the tail rotor. The power is precise, so that the disbond occurs, not melt, since run-back of water could allow it to freeze behind the heated mats, where the ice could not be removed. The shed intervals vary in time based on ice rate of accumulation, so that the heat allows disbond, and not melt, and also so that the ice does not get too thick, where it can cause unacceptable power required increase. The FAA accounts for the power rise in the Cat A charts, so minimum power rise is desirable. The pilot sees a rise in torque as ice builds, then a rapid shed back to regular torque, then a rise again as the system cycles.

The gens are sized to allow a failure while retaining de-ice capability.

Bell427
9th Mar 2006, 18:19
. Can you be a bit more specific with what you require?

I would like to know, how the power supply for this system works.

Does this " Helikopter Service in Norway" have any web site? Any email?
I would need this info fast,because i have to give away my synopsis by monday. Then they will decide if my "theme" is suitable.
One engineer on Cougar even said that I'm crazy to do project work on this system,because it is so complex, that even they are having problems with understanding and fixing it. :)

Helipolarbear
10th Mar 2006, 02:43
If you are purelY interested in rotor icing then the 332 / S 92 are the only commercial systems available that I am aware of and as mentioned above, Helikopter Service would probably be your best bet. There are other anti ice systems fitted - windshield and intakes for example - to a variety of helicopters. Can you be a bit more specific with what you require? Nick Lappos, having been heavily involved with the S92 might be able to help?

:) There is the S-70, and if you look real hard there are plans for another European Heli...with civil applications. A great case study for understanding anti-icing, Blades, T/R, Head, inlets and all the other ice considerations is with the UH-60 Heli.............:ok:

Come on Nick, give up your consul to the thread, whats your opinion?