PDA

View Full Version : PPRUNE on a European Mobile

Rwy in Sight
8th Mar 2006, 16:41
I just realised that internet on a mobile is gaining momentum and it seems prices are about to fall. So I think that I can get an upgrade on my handset. So I am wondering if any one has any experience on ppruning on a handset in a European network.

I was meant to stay away from the internet on mobil (is it GPRS?) but if I can pprune on a bus on the way to work or stuck on the traffic then it is time to opt for the new technologies.

Waiting for your experience,

Rwy in Sight

London Jets
8th Mar 2006, 18:18
can you access pprune on a UK vodafone handset then?

L J

Rwy in Sight
9th Mar 2006, 06:10
LJ,

I have no idea about the feasibility of PPRuNing on a cellular. As a matter of fact I have no idea or experience surfing the net on a cellular. That's why I ask some advice.

Is the availability depends on the network or is it freely available to all? Does it require a subsciption?

Rwy in Sight

SyllogismCheck
9th Mar 2006, 08:26
Yes, it is possible. So long as your mobile is WAP enabled, and they all have been for some time now.

It's simply a case of making sure the WAP settings are correct. The easiest way of accomplishing this is to call your service provider and ask them to send them to you in the form of an SMS which you then simply save. They will put themselves in the correct places when you do. Somewhere in the WAP browser menu will be a 'Go to' option into which you can type a web-address, and away you go.

Be prepared for a lot of scrolling however. Web pages with a lot of content become very long and narrow when displayed on a tiny mobile phone screen. Also, watch the GPRS data charges. They can begin to mount up if you open a lot of large pages frequently.