PDA

View Full Version : Next steps after gaining a PPL

lanky15
8th Mar 2006, 16:08
Hi there i was wondering what the smartest move would be after gaining your PPL, night rating and IMC. Whether i should go over to somewhere like th US or get on a multiengine course.

G-SP0T
8th Mar 2006, 17:18
Get some night hrs in whilst its still winter. i would surgest doing a 50:50 split of hr building over here and somewere like the usa, saves some money, but u still get experience flyin in the uk.

i never bothered with a IMC it will be of little use to me, the idea of single engine IFR doesnt appeal to me!

EGBKFLYER
8th Mar 2006, 17:22
Depends what you want to do...

There's aerobatics, tailwheels, differences training for VP prop and retractable undercarriage, seaplane class rating, an instrument rating or the multi-engine piston class rating you mention. That lot should keep you busy!

You could go to 'somewhere like the US' or somewhere like France, Spain, the Netherlands, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand. The world is your oyster.

Whatever, make sure to build a bit of experience between 'badges' - you'll learn more and the steps up will be easier. Most importantly, have fun with the training.

Good luck

FlyingForFun
8th Mar 2006, 17:26
I agree with all of EGBK's suggestions - but pick one or two of them, not all of them, because otherwise you will reach your total time requirement before reaching the P1 requirement....

Main thing, though - have fun. This is the part of the modular course which is entirely yours to enjoy!

FFF
----------------

Andy_R
8th Mar 2006, 23:21
I agree with all of EGBK's suggestions - but pick one or two of them, not all of them, because otherwise you will reach your total time requirement before reaching the P1 requirement....

----------------

:O :O Ehem, yes, good advice, very easy to get carried away with the fun of it all and go way over the top :oh: :oh:

Mind you at least I already have more hours than most fATPL holders and I still have the CPL, ME, IR to go :hmm: see what I mean :hmm:

Tim_donovan
9th Mar 2006, 09:17
It really depends on what you what to do! Commercial or just GA:confused:

But as FFF says and i agree with, make sure you have fun

Hufty
9th Mar 2006, 09:56
Yes, not sure if you want to be a professional pilot or not but try and do some good and long cross countries. That is a good way of building your confidence and experience. Also, as people suggest try and do some night flying and try and head down to France or Spain for a bit of a jolly - you'll learn a huge amount by stretching yourelf.

If you can go overseas, I would spend a few weeks on the West Coast - doing a bit of high altitude flying, operating at hot n' high airfields etc.....all good learning.

If you're going to get additional ratings and intend to remain as a GA pilot, don't bother getting ratings that you're not going to use. A multi engine rating is great but like most people, you'll probably never use it in the UK as the cost is prohibitive and you'll probably not fly light twins often enough to keep current. Likewise, if you're planning to fly IMC a lot then go for the rating, but if you don't use it you'll get rusty pretty fast. Still, it is useful to get you out of trouble.

Hufty.