PDA

View Full Version : 402 crash in tanzania

iron nuts
8th Mar 2006, 14:27
The latest crash in Tanzania in a cessna 402 at a mine called North Mira. There were 6 people on board at the time flying with a company called auric air. The pilot went into a 1000 meter dirt strip down hill and didn't manage to stop before the end of the strip where he over ran the strip and his nose gear collapsed. All 6 pax managed to get out with no injury but the plane was a bit less lucky as you can see, took a pic for all you guys out there and will post it tomorrow. Have fun :ok:

Soap Box Cowboy
8th Mar 2006, 20:55
Downhill? Pretty flat airstrip if I recall. But yeah can feel a little short.

But knowing the way things TZA will probably rebuild her and she will be flying again in no time :E

Tanzania: The place every aircraft will live forever unless crushed into scrap metal, burn't to a crisp or buried at sea :E

What were the wind and turbulence conditions on the day of the accident?

Anyway's see you all later, fly safe and land short :ok:

iron nuts
9th Mar 2006, 13:19
hi mate hows canada as i trust you are nose to the grind stone over there. Have fun c

Kittycat
10th Mar 2006, 13:58
Dont really understand how that can happen? 1000m is more than enough, and Kingair 200's are landing there without a problem?
:eek:

european champion
10th Mar 2006, 15:19
This is good news,if the pilot and passengers are ok!
That plane had been injured badly many times,it is a miracle how it has been flying,i hope it wont fly again so that there wont be any fatal accident.

Soap Box Cowboy
10th Mar 2006, 16:51
Wasn't she due to do the wing spar inspection and reinforcment? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be suprised if some people see this as a blessing in disguise, the work for old ladies like the 402B and the PA31-310 is drying up. Parts are getting more expensive, the airframes are starting to look like something from a classic airplane show. And with the AV-Gas situation everyone is moving to turbines. A caravan is cheaper to run and carries more, only problem is that price tag.

But no doubt the insurance will never write it off, those buggers hate paying out and several operators over insure their aircraft. So undoubtly some poor newbie will be chugging around in her some time soon. :}

Kitty Kat: 1000 meters is plenty but a 200 has reverse, heck I can squeze a fully loaded Van into 300 meters (Getting out is another story). But all you got to do is float it or have buggered brakes. I remeber a tale of a guy who over ran a 2000M runway in a cherokee 180. Any of the guys who have been flying in TZ for a while will know that story. Apparently that guy is flying as a F/O on a Fokker 50 now. :hmm:

Iron Nuts where are the picies you promised

Kittycat
10th Mar 2006, 18:33
Cowboy, thanks for the info. I was curious what happen how it could happen, but as Im not a pilot myself, I lack the technical detail! :\
Im also awaiting the pics!

Mukosha
12th Mar 2006, 12:20
The aircraft landed with a tail wind and on the down sloping runway. He landed pretty deep, probably due to the large mine dump on the threshold of the runway. He then applied brakes as can be seen by the deep skid marks. The last half of the runway slopes away pretty sharply.. I believe its an extension. Pilot managed to hop accross a very deep gully on the end of the runway and miss a large pile of rocks!

Sympathies are with the pilot.. a horrible thing to happen to anyone. Everyone got out alive and unhurt, which at the end of the day is what counts.

xdc9er
12th Mar 2006, 15:47
this thread + no pic = worthless
lol
Thruxton Jackeroo