PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear

rjtjrt
8th Mar 2006, 02:15
Where is the test track used on this program? Obviously an abandoned airfield. A GoogleMap location would be interesting.
It has only been on here in Australia as on off season fill in on the minor "ethnic" TV station and they seemed to be episodes that were a couple of of years old.

Ultralights
8th Mar 2006, 05:50
in the private flying section, flying pics thread, there are a few photos of the aerodrom in there, you can see the studio and all.

thread is here
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207786&page=5

tony draper
8th Mar 2006, 07:43
Do you get Father Ted down there yet?couple of years ago I videos and sent out the whole series for a Oz pal,apparently twas banned there for some reason,cunningly I disguised them as Red Cross food parcels so no duty was due.
Best hour on telly is Top Gear.
:rolleyes:

tall and tasty
8th Mar 2006, 09:55
yes I would agree with you there Drapes just to sit and listen to Mr Clarkson rip things to pieces :p when he does

TnT

rjtjrt
8th Mar 2006, 10:41
Do you get Father Ted down there yet?couple of years ago I videos and sent out the whole series for a Oz pal,apparently twas banned there for some reason,cunningly I disguised them as Red Cross food parcels so no duty was due.
:rolleyes:

Father Ted was on here a couple of years ago. Not banned.
?Someone pulling the lower limb.

fokker
8th Mar 2006, 13:43
Funnily enough, read in the paper last week that there's been a bit of a production f**k-up at TG. The current location is Dunsfold in Surrey - home of the P1127 (Harrier to you, Scroggins) and some wicked displays in the 70s - but it had been planned to move to another ex-airbase in Oxfordshire (can't remember which one). Sadly the locals at the new one have got up in arms because of the expected noise, so it may not be available. Meanwhile the current owners of Dunsfold are planning to build on it and TG has not applied for a continuation of their permission, as they hadn't expected to be there. It seems that the current/ next series is safe but after that things are rather uncertain. Hope they get it fixed.

oldbeefer
8th Mar 2006, 14:04
I believe Enstone, near Chipping Norton, was the airfield they were planning to move to.

Astra driver
8th Mar 2006, 17:56
Here in the USA I used to be able to watch Top Gear on the "Discovery Channel" every Wednesday but they have since taken it off the schedule, it is one of my favorite shows along with the US production, "Myth busters". I guess I will have to get BBC America now.

mfaff
8th Mar 2006, 21:28
Enstone is only a stop gap at best....very limited filming time is permitted anyway for the planned series...also the infrastructure is not the best ever...it was proposed mainly becuase JCis relatively 'local'....also the Renault F1 team has a 'bit' of a say in activites around Enstone..

Georgeablelovehowindia
8th Mar 2006, 22:30
"... JC is relatively 'local' ..." Too right - I should think he can virtually see the place out of his bedroom window! :}

jeppsbore
8th Mar 2006, 22:54
Sad how all that was good about the programme, but couldn't put up with JC's ego have now done very well for themselves in 5th gear. i.e. Vicki BH, Quentin Willson and even the smug Tiff Needel, tis a much better prog than the JC "this is my show and the othr presenters will do what I say" type regime that is top gear nowadays. Honestly the other two guys are just both fawning brown nosers.
Persnally I used to like JC but of late he has got far to big for his boots, and also regularly proved to be a crap driver too!!!

Well thats my opinion anyway.

puts on tin hat and awaits the flack. :ooh:

Jinkster
8th Mar 2006, 23:05
i thought it was bruntingthorpe near east midlands.

G-CPTN
8th Mar 2006, 23:42
Persnally I used to like JC but of late he has got far to big for his boots, and also regularly proved to be a crap driver too!!!
Well thats my opinion anyway.

:ok: I agree :ok:

Conan the Librarian
9th Mar 2006, 00:22
Dunsfold, chaps....

Conan

BoeingMEL
9th Mar 2006, 10:00
There is a worrying trend here! Clarkson is all about entertainment for Gawd's sake! How in heaven's name can anyone take his personal foibles and traits seriously? IMHO the recent prog from the winter olympics village was one of the funniest progs in 10 years.... there again, my doc often reminds me that I am a sick man :-( Cheers, bm

Gingerbread Man
9th Mar 2006, 10:16
I can see why Clarkson would annoy people, but I think you just have to take it all lightly. TG regularly gets the highest ratings on BBC2, so people must either like him or be willing to put up with him. Personally I think he's quite amusing, but i'll admit that he can be an arse sometimes. Especially over the AMV8 vs 911 thing.

tis a much better prog than ... top gear nowadays

I couldn't disagree more. Everytime i've watched 5th Gear it never seems to rise above second rate programming. The presenters know their stuff, and they have fewer bizarre contests, but in the main the programme seems rather dull. I think one of the attractions of TG is that it's rather pretty to watch - there's a lot of snazzy photography which gives it a much more professional finish IMHO. There is none of that in 5th Gear. I remember them getting Vicki BH (hottie!) to try and drive a Vanquish at 200mph. She just kept going back and forth down the runway, and I really don't think it made good television. When you're sitting at home, who cares that a car is doing 200mph? You can't feel what it's like - she might as well be doing 40 for all we care.

Anyway, each to their own I suppose.

Ginger :)

strafer
9th Mar 2006, 10:36
IMHO the recent prog from the winter olympics village was one of the funniest progs in 10 years.... Totally agree BoeingMel - personally I don't have that much interest in motors, but my sides were killing me at the end of that episode.

fokker
9th Mar 2006, 12:56
Conan,

I already said that! get with the programme! :\

BTW IMHO, it is Clarkson's show. If you don't like it, watch something else. No-one forces May & Hammond to do it and I get the impression they're having rather a good time. If you want a serious Chris-Goffey-type car prog, watch 5th gear, or choose from the pile of dross on satellite. Vicky B-H........................ I would. Oops, scuse me, I have! :}

Lon More
9th Mar 2006, 16:39
I used to like it but JC has become a boring [email protected]
A self-professed petrol-head, but he doesn't want bikers near his house and even went so far as to suggest stringing wire across the road to behead them. Should anyone take up his "advice" I hope he gets done as an accomplice to murder

strafer
9th Mar 2006, 17:15
You wouldn't be a biker would you Lon?

Lon More
9th Mar 2006, 22:09
Strafer "Two wheels are better than four."

Conan the Librarian
9th Mar 2006, 22:55
My apols Fokker, speedreading Pprune is to miss its' essence, but time was short and there were just sooo many threads to read...

Conan

Blacksheep
10th Mar 2006, 02:30
5th Gear is just the old Top Gear without JC. You can only watch so much of Tiff going sideways round corners (can he hold a straight line?), although Vicky might keep one interested. She always came across as a whiskey drinking, Capstan Full Strength smoking, fast car driving, good sport, but I often wondered if she put a lot of it on just for the show.

Like Jeremy Clarkson actually. If you read any of the book collections of his newspaper articles, his expressed opinions vary wildly from one article to another and the inconsistancies are glaringly obvious...

...and he's certainly the last one to take himself seriously.