PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! USA or SAA for ATPL

mcde674
7th Mar 2006, 20:15
Looking for some advice. Where would be better to do training
for frozen ATPL. What is the difference in JAR and JAA??

Have zero hours. Would like to do a full time course.
What are the benifits of going to South Africa or the USA.

mcgoo
7th Mar 2006, 20:33
only you can really pick your FTO, pay them a visit and see what they are about and choose whats right for your personal circumstances.

The JAA is the Joint aviation authority and JAR is the joint aviation regulations.

elmange
7th Mar 2006, 22:05
Hello there!

I can only tell you what I know and that ain't too much.

I have only three days left on my ATPL theory course and I have about 65 hours on my PPL. I have chosen to go to the US. Why? well, there are a couple of obvious reasons.

1. The hours. You know it. Everybody knows it. The first 1500 hours in your pilot carreer are the absolute most difficult to get. No question about it. The schools in the US can help you with this like no other schools. Why? Because there are so many pilot students attending the schools, and they all need instructors right? That's where you come in.

2. The price. If you want to come to the school I'm going to (www.aribenaviator.com), you can fly ME during almost the whole course. Visit the website, it's nice.

So that's two reasons why I chose the US. I want to tell you though, I have friends in the SA who have just gotten a job flying turboprop SE (caravan). I'm not sure of the school, could it be fedair?

In the end I am perfectly sure that the US is a safer bet while SA is more of an adventure that could end up nicely but also....:{
If you're out for your first 1000-1500 hours that will get you in with the big guys, then the US is your country.

Remember though,
gathering info is what it's all about. Ask around, talk to students both from SA schools and US schools. visit forums like this and ask around. I don't think I need to tell you, but it's a darn important deciscion to make, right?

Best of luck!

///Magnus

Founder
8th Mar 2006, 09:04
I agree with magnus that the first 1500 hours are the most difficult to get. But check out every school first before deciding... I myself study in gothemburg at SPU and I find that school to be great! They have very experienced teatchers many of the captains flying at City Airline, MyTravel, FlyMe etc. This is a great help in getting advice for your future career.

I'd reccomend a modular training because of your ability to get licenses right away after you've completed that module.

Also be very much aware of the legal stuff, and prices. If you fly in the US the fuel prices are much lower and if the school charges the same amount per hour as in Sweden they are trying to rip you off...

I'd suggest you to take your PPL at a local flight school, that's the cheapest and probably the fastet way to get it and then move on to ATPL theory at another school and then take the modules IR/ME and finaly CPL...

I have 2 friends who train in south africa and they both have to retake their training when returning to Europe because of south african licenses only apply in africa they are called CAA licenses, in Europe we use JAA regulated under JAR (joint aviation regulations). In the united states they are regulated under FAR and use FAA liceses...

Good Luck and Best Regards
Tim

If you need any more advice or help feel free to e-mail me or send me a pm...

mcde674
8th Mar 2006, 18:27
Thanks for the advice gents. Will look into it a bit more before
I jump in feet first. Unfortunately money plays a big part in my
choice on where i go as with everybody else.

birdlady
8th Mar 2006, 19:44
MC,

If your interested in SA I suggest you try this forum www.avcom.co.za. You'll find the answers to most of your questions there.

:ok: :ok:

dllcooper
8th Mar 2006, 20:28
having spoken to a number of people who have trained in SA - the conversion process to JAA will end up costing you more than if you complete JAA traiining in US. I ave been told also that the college heritage and quality also effect your prospects so dont choose a college in the middle of the Botswana delta!