PDA

View Full Version : ppl tourist flying in queensland

anitafiona1
7th Mar 2006, 20:10
hello, please may i have some advice?
You may think this is completely barmy - so please tell me what you think....

i am a ppl holder -not very experienced - flying mostly C172s - and i am coming to Australia in December for two weeks. After a few days in Sydney i intend to head to Cairns, then Rockhampton (using scheduled flights i think as its just one way hops).

As the distances are so huge,and time is short, and there is so much to see and it would be so nice to do some flying whilst in Australia - i am planning to do some trips by air...but i will always want a safety pilot with me.

Does anyone have any ideas how i find someone who is willing to fly with me, sometimes on overnight trips, but does not charge an instructors rate per hour? or am i being unrealistic?

If i can't find an agreeable safety pilot i will have to limit my trips to day trips.

I am also looking for advice on best aircraft hire rates again, for overnight trips and day trips. Any thoughts anyone?

This is what i would like to do (if budget and all other factors will allow):

1. I am thinking of hiring a C172 around Cairns to fly to Undarra, ideally for an overnight stay as i understand it is fun to stay there?

2. A flight over the GBR and the Whitsundays - ideally either in a seaplane (i have no experience in one of these)landing at Whitehaven beach- or in a C172 landing if possible on one of the islands.

Having then flown down to Rockhampton (scheduled) i would like to:

3. Fly to Emerald and go to Sapphire to do some fossicking

4. Fly to Carnarvon Gorge for an overnight stay
or combine the two and do the following:

day1 : fly to Emerald, fossicking till late afternoon, fly to Carnarvon Gorge
day 2: visit Carnarvon Gorge, fly back to Rockhampton late afternoon

So - are any of these ideas bonkers? is it do-able? any ideas how i make this work?
Please can i have your advice/thoughts/opinions!
thank you!

UnusualAttitudes
8th Mar 2006, 09:47
Check your PM's.......or not.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will give you some info

DeltaSix
8th Mar 2006, 09:57
Just a word of advice if you are flying VFR in the Whitsundays. Be careful with the weather, they can change very rapidly. Would get a sat phone if able to and find the local weatherman and get a constant weather update of the islands. And by the way, calculate your PNR and get the weather before reaching this.

Happy flying

D6

scrambler
9th Mar 2006, 05:28
Have you considered doing the Aussie PPL and hiring yourself?
I have no idea of the requirements being from the UK, search www.casa.gov.au
Went to do a scenic in New Zealand and was advised to do the PPL which worked out around the same price as doing a couple of hours there. (This was before we had the cross tasman licencing agreements for the D&G subscribers)

robair
10th Mar 2006, 01:50
just read your thread drop me a PM if you get the chance I am based in that part of the world i may be able to help you.

coops
10th Mar 2006, 02:19
If you coming to Cairns i'll come for a ride around with you if you want someone. Thats if i'm free.

Email me: [email protected]

Coops

Flintstone
11th Mar 2006, 20:57
Getting your UK licence validated by CASA is easy. Did it myself once (then went back for 5 years and converted my PPL then got a CPL followed by ATPL).

Do that and go flying by yourself. I'm warning you now though, VFR navigation is a LOT different. Drop me a line if you'd like some more info.

anitafiona1
22nd Mar 2006, 22:14
hello everyone - thanks for all your thoughts - but i still want to take a safety pilot with me, even if i convert my ppl - call me boring or cautious...
so, back to my questions at the beginning of this thread...can anyone tell me whetehr waht i wish to do is do-able? anyone?
best wishes

YYWG
23rd Mar 2006, 00:25
You will need to apply for at least an AVID well before you come or you will not be allowed to fly.

robair
23rd Mar 2006, 01:34
You are not boring and certianly not over cautious, you obviusly have a GOOD attitude toward your flying.
please drop me a PM if you wish I am based in the area that you are comming to.