PDA

View Full Version : ACM Torpy

ConingsbyFlyingClub
7th Mar 2006, 20:06
Hi I was just wondering what the word on the street was about the soon to be new CAS. Will he fight our corner or will we all be wearing greens in a few years time??

threepointonefour
7th Mar 2006, 20:43
Met him a few times - seems decent enough. Sadly he doesn't look like Norman Wisdom, unlike a previous CAS ...

soddim
7th Mar 2006, 20:58
He certainly knows his backside from his elbow when it comes to flying fast jets and that alone is a very useful attribute for a CAS.

However, he will still need lots of support to make a difference to the front line.

O2thief
7th Mar 2006, 21:25
Whilst he may be short in stature, he is head and shoulders above to$$e4s like the "B word" in terms of leadership. He has proved himself everywhere he has served and has an impressive war fighters background. I was priviledged to serve with him at Bruggen when he was the "staish". Notwithstanding all that, but perhaps more importantly in this day and age, he is, with out a doubt, a top bloke and the sort of person you would all enjoy having sev-ereal beers with.

Gedgie

Jackonicko
7th Mar 2006, 22:32
He does seem a good bloke, and high calibre, though Jock's going to be a very hard act to follow.

As OC 2 Squadron, as Marham Staish and as AOC 1 Group Stirrup always seemed relaxed and confident enough to answer a journo's questions easily, or to demur politely, while many other senior officers fall back on the PR minder, or just seem rather cautious. As CAS, Stirrup has never hidden behind PR minders and has always been open and accessible. That isn't important, of course, except insofar as it indicates an ability to speak out and a willingness to stand one's ground, which may also be useful when dealing with politicians. Stirrup is extremely articulate and inspiring (awkward when you saw him side by side with Hoon as the Secretary of State suffered badly from the comparison) and is a convincing performer in front of Defence comittees, etc.

But I've never had to work for him......

Torpy has always seemed more cautious and less open, though I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've met him!

Looking further ahead I wonder who'll succeed Torpy, what odds do we get on Chris Moran or Clive Loader?

Sid South
8th Mar 2006, 11:06
But will he remember that SH are still a part of the RAF?

Hmmmmm.....

teeteringhead
8th Mar 2006, 12:47
But will he remember that SH are still a part of the RAF?
...C in C Strike might just remind him......;)

unkind43
8th Mar 2006, 12:50
...C in C Strike might just remind him......;)

If not, I'm sure his brother will.

snapper41
9th Mar 2006, 15:30
I've had a couple of dealings with the soon-to-be CAS, and found him a top bloke. During a recent(ish) conflict, he came out to visit; showed him around, did all the normal VIP visit stuff. At the end, he told his entourage to wait outside, while he and I had a 1-to-1 conversation. He asked if I had everything I needed (people, equipment etc); told him I really needed some new stuff (won't be specific); lo and behold, I got it.

When he arrived as boss of the Northwood Hole, everyone was wearing greens because his predecessor (Army chap, you understand) thought it made everyone look 'joint', when actually it just made everyone look like the Army. Under the new management, good old light or dark blue was allowed back, with subsequent rise in morale.

FJJP
9th Mar 2006, 15:55
Met him a few times when in lower rank - seems a very pleasant guy, willing to listen no matter what rank/position you hold. Got to be a good sign - nothing against Sir Jock [I just haven't met him, but always got good vibes]...

SRENNAPS
9th Mar 2006, 18:59
I knew him at Bruggen. When I was was on one of the Tonka Sqn's he came on det with us a few times (good and bad ones). Top Bloke in all respects. If there was a few more of his kind around we would all be a lot better off.

engineer(retard)
9th Mar 2006, 19:22
Also met him a few times as a pre-VIP, top bloke.

Level headed
9th Mar 2006, 19:47
Met him in ATC at Bruggen, whilst he was on his annual duty-free run as AOC. After the staish introduced him to the SATCO, he 180'd before he met the JO's and went and spent the next 10 minutes chatting with the young assistants, asking their views on life. When Harry went to chaperone him, his airship told him to politely go away and said ",I'm fine over here... just asking them if you are doing your job properly"! Fortunately for said staish, he was a top bloke and everyone praised him. Need more like those two in the world and not certain others that I'm sure we could all mention.

MightyGem
12th Mar 2006, 10:52
I know his brother...:rolleyes:

Dogfish
12th Mar 2006, 12:52
The way it is going he will be the first OC of the Royal Flying Corps since 1918.

Had Enough 77
12th Mar 2006, 16:48
I met him when he gave me my wings. He certainly seemed to be a top bloke and was extremely good to talk to, even infering to one brown nosing/promo' chasing Flt Lt that he was here to talk to the guys who got their wings and their famalies not said QFI, said QFI wound neck in.
Brilliant!

Bloody Nice Bloke:D