PDA

View Full Version : Stirring Ballad of Man Who Would Be King.... What is it?

TooFiddy
7th Mar 2006, 19:53
Hi everyone, from Too Fiddy....

I just watched The Man Who Would Be King. It's a stirring yarn of the good ol' days of the Empire and I've probably watched it 7 or 8 times over the years.

They say that apparently the director originally wanted Redford and Newman in it but that would never have done.

Anyway, several times including most notably at the end of the story, Daniel Dravat sings a song which, I believe, is to the tune of The Moreen (an Irish ballad).

A bottle of the finest for anyone who can tell me the real name of the ballad and the lyrics as sung in the movie.....????

Thanks in advance. :ok:

PaperTiger
7th Mar 2006, 20:11
The Minstrel Boy (http://ingeb.org/songs/theminst.html) by Thomas More.

tony draper
7th Mar 2006, 20:29
the Man Who Would Be King,great stuff,

"The problem Danny is,how to take away three Afghans from two Mules and still have two Englishmen left over"

Redford and Newman? That would have been unholy ,be like getting the two Ronnies to play Butch and Sundance.
:rolleyes:

Whirlygig
7th Mar 2006, 20:38
Me Da used to play me that song (and Danny Boy!) to me on the piano when I was about 4. Always guaranteed to have me in tears, even now. :{

Cheers

Whirls

tony draper
7th Mar 2006, 20:59
One liked the version of "Over the Hills and Far Away" from Sharpe as well.
:cool:
We usta have good tunes to put Johnny Foreigner to the sword to. :E

Whirlygig
7th Mar 2006, 21:02
I think "Over the Hills and Far Away" came from The Beggar's Opera. 'Tis possibly older than that as John Gay stole a lot of the songs!

Cheers

Whirls

tony draper
7th Mar 2006, 21:42
Quite correct Whirls,thingy did indeed pinch it,here is the skinny wot google forthcomed.
This tune was published in Thomas D'Urfey's Pills to Purge Melancholy (Originally in 1706). It appeared in The Recruiting Officer, a comedy by George Farquhar and in John Gay's The Beggar's Opera (1728).

G-CPTN
7th Mar 2006, 22:03
Gay's The Beggar's Opera
Wot Benji wrote?

tony draper
7th Mar 2006, 22:31
One was at school with a lad called Johnny Gay, (he wasn't) but in those far off days it did not mean what it means now,often wondered how the nowadays unfortunatly named Johnny Gay got on in later life.
:uhoh:
One suspects he has at least dropped the Johnny.

G-CPTN
7th Mar 2006, 22:34
When I was a kid a Johnny was the name for a condom.

Whirlygig
7th Mar 2006, 22:36
I think that was the joke Drape's was a-making!

I also rather like the songs "A Drop of Nelson's Blood" (both versions) and "Spanish Ladies" - stirring stuff indeed!

Cheers

Whirls

Onan the Clumsy
7th Mar 2006, 23:51
Stirring Ballad of Man Who Would Be King.... What is it?

George George they used to call you Doubleyou

But that wasn't enough
Not hardly enough

You wanted to be the fourth

King George

cue: Hamster Wheel

tony draper
8th Mar 2006, 00:37
American President in conversation with Lizzy Windsor,

"Your Majesty a king rules a Kingdom don't he"?

"Indeed Mr President, he would be a king"

"And a Emperor rules a empire don't he"?

"Yes Mr President, he would be a Emperor"

"Well your majesty I rule a Country"

" Indeed Mr President that would make you a... oh look is that my corgies over there"

Davaar
8th Mar 2006, 01:27
One was at school with a lad called Johnny Gay.

Gay is a name not without glory, Dr draper.

Ensign George H. Gay, Jr. , USNR, of Torpedo Squadron Eight (VT-8) was the sole survivor of the 30 or so members of the squadron operating from USS Hornet (CV-8) during the Battle of Midway. He was shot down and spent the rest of the battle swimming, rescued by a seaplane the next day. He served in Torpedo Squadron Eleven (VT-11) during the Guadalcanal campaign, and was later a pilot with Trans-World Airlines for thirty years.

tony draper
8th Mar 2006, 07:27
Indeed Mr Davaar and one Enola Gay did good service as well.:rolleyes:

SLFguy
8th Mar 2006, 12:02
"He served in Torpedo Squadron Eleven (VT-11) during the Guadalcanal campaign"

SLF spent the years 1961 to 1980 on Guadacanal.... what a place to spend your childhood!...gonna go back for a visit soon :)

tony draper
8th Mar 2006, 12:18
Always puzzled over the name of that Island,why does it have canal tagged on the end?.anyone know?? wither its name came.
:cool:

SLFguy
8th Mar 2006, 12:42
Was named by Mendana, (or maybes one of his officers), when he discovered the Solomons in 1567 (ish). Named after the town in Andulasia (sp?).