perusal
7th Mar 2006, 20:13
Read this drivel today

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27869-2073043,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4782856.stm

Anybody else going mad?

Groucho
7th Mar 2006, 20:53
Its a black day for reality. Does that mean that 'the little black number' for the cocktail parties is no longer 'acceptable? Is a 'blackout' no longer something we can have? Can we no longer eat blackberries?

IMO these people should be shot or exported.

DX Wombat
7th Mar 2006, 20:53
Not only are they are all wrong about sheep being black or white, most of those around these parts are a sort of mucky grey for most of the year, :E but the small son of a friend assured me that Noah took GREEN sheep into the ark. :ok:
If I were to be particularly awkward I should like to know why it is not acceptable to have blackboards any more but perfectly acceptable to have whiteboards?

PaperTiger
7th Mar 2006, 21:06
Anybody else going mad?Not I; but then I read the whole thing. To wit:"They sing happy, sad, bouncing, hopping, pink, blue, black and white sheep etc and they also exchange boy and girl at the end of the rhyme."Perhaps the absence of yellow sheep might be construed as a racial slur :suspect:

Bahn-Jeaux
7th Mar 2006, 22:28
Ranks up there with the raid on a shop by Police in which Gollies were seized from his display.
See here for story. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/4770800.stm)
Despite the ruling that he had committed no offence, he was still cautioned to be more careful where he displayed them.
Can this country sink any further?

MostlyHarmless
7th Mar 2006, 23:25
oooooh yes....

Bahn-Jeaux
7th Mar 2006, 23:44
oooooh yes....

I suppose I asked for that since I knew the answer already.
Ah well, I can always dream that someone will assasinate all the left wing do gooders and PC correct crap mongers who invade our daily lives with such festering male bovine dung.:mad:

Ozzy
8th Mar 2006, 01:03
Woop woop. Merge. Merge. Woop woop. Merge. Merge.

Ozzy

tinpis
8th Mar 2006, 05:21
That old rainbow magic has me in its spell, that old rainbow magic that you weave so well.
Those icy fingers up and down my spine
That same old witchcraft when your eyes meet mine.
The same old tingle that I feel inside, and then that elevator starts its ride
And down and down I go, round and round I go, like a leaf that's caught in the tide.
I should stay away, but what can I do?
I hear your name and I'm aflame
Aflame with such a burning desire that only your kiss can put out the fire.
For you're the lover I have waited for, the mate that fate had me created for.
And every time your lips meet mine, darling, down and down I go, round and round I go
In a spin, loving the spin I'm in, under that old rainbow magic called love.

Frank woulda loved that. http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/boogie.gif

Loose rivets
8th Mar 2006, 05:47
I'll have some of what he's on

acbus1
8th Mar 2006, 06:23
This gets me off the hook!

Up to now, I was always the black sheep of the family.

27mm
8th Mar 2006, 06:34
Never mind the PC stuff, the biggest crime is that "Baa Baa Rainbow sheep" doesn't fit the rhyme!

Avtrician
8th Mar 2006, 06:41
Next the stars wont be alowed to twinkle, Eens weensy spider will have to stop climbing water spouts, and Jack Horner wont be getting any more pie.

Next thing, Biggles and Noddy will be banned cos they are gay??

Buster Hyman
8th Mar 2006, 07:33
Does that mean I should stop writing my "Bob the Erection expert" book?

BombayDuck
8th Mar 2006, 08:24
Wonder what the Borneo-based Cunning Artificer has to say about this... ;)

acbus1
8th Mar 2006, 08:53
Does that mean I should stop writing my "Bob the Erection expert" book?
Combine it with a book on sheep.....uses thereof.

It might get blacklisted, though.

Wyler
8th Mar 2006, 08:59
I guess the first draught of my new book 'Simon Shoots The Smiling Sambo' will have to go on the back burner. :cool:

DX Wombat
8th Mar 2006, 09:08
Next thing, Biggles and Noddy will be banned cos they are gay?? errr, don't laugh Avi, that has already been a serious suggestion and for quite a long time it was difficult to obtain the Noddy series of books. :hmm: :\
Bombay Duck I was just wondering the same thing myself, not to mention his favourite tipple from Masham :(

sprocket
8th Mar 2006, 09:33
I guess kettles around the world will no longer receive racist taunts from other cooking utensils from now on.

Paterbrat
8th Mar 2006, 11:12
Aaaaagh indeed its a Brave New World in this 'New' and Orwellian society we now live in led and presided over by well intentioned and very very PC people

Gingerbread Man
8th Mar 2006, 12:17
Is a 'blackout' no longer something we can have?

Groucho, I believe you have to call it "unconscious without milk" now.

Can someone inform me when there is a new PC word for insane people please? Then I can use the line "it's madness gone pollitically correct" ;) .

Ginger :}

Nopax,thanx
8th Mar 2006, 12:34
Seems to me that this will have the undesired effect of highlighting colour rather than what they are trying to achieve.....if they have to change the song, why not 'fluffy' or something that does have a relevance in the real world.....anyway, it ain't new, once my 4-year old son was doing some colouring in a book and I heard him sing "Baa baa green sheep", which made me sit up and take notice as there had recently been a case in one of the loony London boroughs about the very same thing.

"Why green sheep, son?"

"Haven't got a black crayon!"

**"phew"** No political correctness creeping in round our way then;

For the record, my son is now just coming up to 24.

perusal
8th Mar 2006, 13:16
All cynics (myself included) must realise that "...the charity running the nurseries, Parents and Children Together (Pact), said the move was educational, not motivated by racial concerns.."

Was it buggery

Wyler
8th Mar 2006, 14:45
I certainly hope not perusal, that's a whole different set of rules.

djk
8th Mar 2006, 15:21
"This is not the first time, however, that the nursery rhyme — written in 1744 satirising the taxes imposed on wool exports — has fallen foul of political correctness. In 2000 Birmingham City Council tried to ban the rhyme, after claiming that it was racist and portrayed negative stereotypes. The council rescinded the ban after black parents said it was ludicrous. "

This really takes the biscuit. Why can't they just teach children the original nursery rhyme and also the history that goes with it?

I just remembered that the rhyme "this little piggy goes to market..." at my nephew's school they were told they couldn't say the line as "This little piggy ate roast beef" but instead had to say "this little piggy ate a sandwich" incase it offended any vegetarians in the class

ex_matelot
8th Mar 2006, 18:35
"Georgie Porgie pudding and pie,
Kissed the girls and made them cry"
and then got banged to rights under the 2003 Sexual Offences act

G-CPTN
8th Mar 2006, 19:00
Can anybody remind me of the words of Ten Little Nigerian Boys?

colmac747
8th Mar 2006, 19:03
Also, i'm sure Humpty Dumpty must've contravened a law or something:confused:

VFE
8th Mar 2006, 19:10
'All the Kings horses and all the Kings men....'

'All the democratic peoples civil servants and all the democratic peoples civil multi-racial women and men.....' ?

VFE.

ex_matelot
8th Mar 2006, 19:15
Three optically challenged rodents.....

innuendo
8th Mar 2006, 19:51
"Ohhh, I'm dreaming of a Rainbow Season/Holiday/Festivus," .... take your pick.
The world is truly out of control.

B Fraser
8th Mar 2006, 20:00

.... and when the boys came out to play
he kissed them too as he was funny that way

ex_matelot
8th Mar 2006, 20:23
And then the boys came out to play...and he remembered everything he was taught in citizenship about diversity and embracing other cultures and was thus encouraged to 'play' with the boys...yadda yadda yadda...

Rick Storm
8th Mar 2006, 20:38
So I guess the 60/70 group 'Black Sabath' all re-released albums are now going to depict the group name Grey Sabath? Or poor 'Little red riding hood' are we going to offend the Russians? Or American Indians with this story?

This world has gone pc mad

G-CPTN
8th Mar 2006, 20:43
Wee-willie Winkie.

G-CPTN
8th Mar 2006, 20:45
Intelligently-challenged Simon.

Arm out the window
9th Mar 2006, 04:07
You couldn't have Grey Sabbath - grey is a demeaning term to seniors, or 'elders', and Sabbath far too selective. So it'll have to be:
'And now, with their smash hit "Suffering from anxiety-causing delusions because of different mental networking issues" - Grey non-denominational belief-system-oriented Day of Worship!!!!"

That'd go down a treat

Davaar
9th Mar 2006, 05:54
Was it buggery

Oh dear! I don't think you are helping, not at all ["bugger": ME f. MDu "buggerie" from OF "bougre", orig "heretic" f, Med L "Bulgarus" Bulgarian member of Greek church].

The one that upsets me most is "Young Men's Christian Associaton":
(a) "Young" is ageist and should be deleted;
(b) "Men's" is sexist and should be deleted;
(c) "Christian" is sectarian, religionist and discriminatory and should be deleted;
(d) "Association" limits admission to a chosen or select group, is exclusionary, and should be deleted.

The correct name just has to be ..........................................

Davaar
9th Mar 2006, 06:01
Or poor 'Little red riding hood' are we going to offend the Russians?

That one was done in 1953 or so by Stan Freberg after the McCarthy Un-American Activities Hearings in the Senate. His monologue "Little Blue Riding Hood" was a hilarious production.

innuendo
9th Mar 2006, 06:11
Likewise his 'Elderly man river"

acbus1
9th Mar 2006, 06:14

And when the boys came out to play

He kissed them too, teacher said it's OK. :rolleyes:

Was it buggery]
One thing leads to another. :\

BlueWolf
9th Mar 2006, 06:14
Ah, but it isn't simply PC anymore, is it. It's actually political indoctrination and brainwashing.

I guess our national rugby team won't be allowed to tour any more :(
:rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
10th Mar 2006, 00:51
It's funny how life now follows Pprune. Got this today...:rolleyes:

I'm a size challenged teapot, small in stature and generous of girth
Here is my non-judgemental holding device and here is my
non-pressurised, safety device enabled, fluid releasing orifice
When I feel temperature augmented and in need of external expression
then I exclaim in an elevated decibel, yet non-threatening verbal tone
Adjust my angle and release my non-caffineated, dairy free organic contents.

Little miss muffet sat on her tuffet
eating her curds and whey
along came a spider and sat down beside her
and got hit with a harrassment law suit and a restraining order

3 visually impaired rodents
3 visually impaired rodents,
see how they run, see how they run
they all ran after the agriculturalist's life partner
who in a non-aggressive way advised then they were invading her personal
space have you ever heard such a thing in your life as
3 visually impaired rodents.

Baa baa non-predominantly hued ruminant mammal,
Have you any delightful protective outer covering for sale at a fair and reasonable price?
Yes non-gender specific manager, yes non-gender specific manager,
three aged challenged females with slightly unfriendly personas full.
One for the non-gender specific manager,
one for his or her non-gender specific partner,
(not that there's anything wrong with that),
And one for the youthful non-gender specific, vertically challenged
individual who lives down the lane

Georgie-Porgie, pudding 'n' pie,
kiss the girls and made them cry
When the boys came out to play,
Georgie-Porgie was slammed with a sexual harrassment suit.

Jack and Jill went up the hill, to fetch a pail of water,
but Jill went only 'cause she wanted to, not because Jack said she
oughta.

Mary had a dimensionally-challenged-but-no-less-useful-to-society lamb,
Its fleece was as rainbow as snow,
And everywhere that Mary went,
The lamb chose to follow, out of its own free will
not because it felt compelled to by the mores of a patriarchal
phallus-centred society that seeks dominance over non-human life forms.

Blacksheep
10th Mar 2006, 01:53
Wonder what the Borneo-based Cunning Artificer has to say about this... Gosh! Oh Golly! (am I allowed to say that now?) I don't care what they say, I'm not changing my user name.

Rainbow wouldn't fit me anyway.

...and "A pint of your finest Rainbow please, Mr. Geoffrey"? Nah!! Not a chance.

The black sheep is simply the odd one out. Why don't they just explain the meaning to anyone who objects. If anyone ever has that is. Some of us actually like being excluded.

BlueWolf
10th Mar 2006, 09:25
And so it came to pass;

That eventually, the ordinary good folks of the world decided that they'd had a gutsfull of all this ridiculous politically-driven, ideologically-motivated garbage, and they moved to rectify it.

And they said, unto the journalists, and the editors, and the media managers, and the network owners, and the pretty presenters, and the pretty presenters' studio bosses, all of whom - quite deliberately - promulgated such manure as truth, "You will report the facts only, and stop attempting to brainwash our children into acceptance of your particular favourite dogma, on pain of being strung up, because we've had enough."

And they said, unto the politicians and their "officials" who likewise promoted such propaganda and untruths, "You will cease the activity of deceit and corruption of thought, and you will do as the will of the people dictates that you shall do, on pain of removal from office whether there be an election scheduled or not"; and further, "should you not follow this dictate, you will be swung from the nearest gibbet, and if there isn't one, we'll build one in quite short order."

And they said, unto the naysayers and the apologists and the seriously devious types who always crawl out from under some rock when such matters are being addressed, "You shall P1$s the F**k off and stay out of our way, because we have had a bellyful and more of listening to your mindless warped crap, and we are re-taking control of our society and our children and our future, and if you don't like it, well, you see that gallows over there, you can be next on it if you like, mate."

And they said, unto the churches, "And you lot can stay the hell out of this as well, because you've had two thousand years or more to make some worthwhile contribution, and all we've seen so far is paediophilia and other torturous abuse."

And so it came to pass that the Good Folks Of The World took back the ownership of their nations, and of their children, and of their future; and quite a few network owners, and quite a few media managers, and quite a few politicians, were hanged, and not surprisingly, many of their public apologists did shut the f**k up shortly thereafter.

And they said, unto the wannabes who sought to become teachers, "You will complete your university education, and your teachers training, and then you will spend a minimum of five years out in the real world. And if, after that, you still wish to be a teacher, come back and see us again. And we will find you a position, and pay you for it realistically, which will amount to one hell of a lot more money that you may be making now, so long as you meet the grade."

And unto the wannabe politicians, they said, "You will not become a representative until you have attained at least the age of thirty, and had a minimum of five years parenting experience. Now go away and grow up."

And so it came to pass that sanity and common sense returned to the world. But it only happened if ordinary people had the balls and the gumption to get off their butts and make it happen.

The enemy I have described is not idle. We are. That is why our world is the way it is.

Good people need to get involved. Join political parties. Join the PTA. Stand for the board of Trustees. Make noise. Stand for local elections, for health boards, community boards, anything going. Stand up and be counted. Tell the idiots that they are idiots. Tell the reporters and the editors that the idiots are idiots. You get the picture?

This thing isn't going to do itself, people. And your enemy is very well organised, motivated, and financed.

I could go on all night. I won't. Get going. And so it shall come to pass.

ex_matelot
10th Mar 2006, 10:51
Bloody good post!

I sense the start of a new religion!!

BlueWolf
10th Mar 2006, 11:04
Thank you. I should have added the weak local officials and the bent cops and the corrupt judges and all their attendant apologists who ultimately make it possible.

Speedpig
10th Mar 2006, 11:23
It might get blacklisted, though.

Shame on you for not changing it to Rainbowlisted.

Amazingly, I was teaching my little, soon to be two years old, daughter this rhyme on the morning I heard that it was to be changed.

BOL****S I will not call it anything but BLACK SHEEP. How dare people try to do this?
Go and expend your worthless lives on a needy cause. I am happy to explain why the rhyme came about. Mmost "nursery" rhymes have a very valid history, and will encourage my children to understand those histories.
Who decides what is politically correct? I have a black.....sorry, RAINBOW friend who is gay and muslim he is as dumfounded as I am at the decisions made about what may be offensive to other cultures, religions, sexual preferences, ethnicity etc and would elect me Prime Minister when my manifesto includes British Citizenship tests based around the ability to drink a pint of beer and eat a bacon butty.
I'm still recovering from the Winter Festival during which I hung out winter lights and my children had calendars with 31 pieces of chocolate.They were thrilled, they thought it must be Christmas... doh!.... sorry.... that word just slipped out.
Who do these people ask if something is non PC and needs changing? It has got to the stage where I am the minority. About time my rights were considered.

XXTSGR
10th Mar 2006, 12:59
As we drive along the road, if we see a black sheep in a field, how do we point it out to our children????

Is the very word "black" now blacked - sorry - boycotted oops - discriminatory to people called "Boycott" - sorry - non grata oops - discriminatory to people who don't understand Latin - sorry - NOT USED IN POLITICALLY-CORRECT CIRCLES?

Incidentally, I remember a story my sister told me of driving along with their small daughter in the back of the car. Going through the Lake District, small daughter sees the sheep with their respective farmers' red or blue markings or ID or whatever on the sheeps backs/bums/wherever. Voice from the back of the car says "OH NOOOO!!!!". Panic in front. "What's the matter? Have you spilt something / lost something / cut something????". From rear:- "Somebody's been drawing on the sheep!" :}

strafer
10th Mar 2006, 13:14
What these ponces have failed to realise, is that the rhyme is actually a thinly veiled paeon to communism

'One for the master, one for the dame and one for the little boy who lives down the lane'.

Wealth distribution, comrades.

(Actually, I've just thought, although I'm taking the p1ss that may very well be true. A lot of nusery rhymes have very peculiar histories). :hmm:

strafer
10th Mar 2006, 13:28
If you would like to let Stuart Chamberlain (the manager of the Sure Start centre in Oxford, who introduced this policy) aware of your opinion, then you can email him at [email protected] or call 01865 716739 or fax 01865 776330
Together we can make a difference.

ex_matelot
10th Mar 2006, 13:42
I wouldnt waster the effort,a few days on the hamster wheel has shown me just how these types react to criticism!

PaperTiger
10th Mar 2006, 18:01
So I guess the Whiffenpoof song (aka The Gay Blades) is right out, for all kinds of reasons:We are poor little lambs
Who have lost our way,
Baa! Baa! Baa!
We're little black sheep
Who have gone astray,
Baa! Baa! Baa!
Gentlemen songsters off on a spree
Damned from here to eternity
God have mercy on such as we;
Baa! Baa! Baa!

2R
10th Mar 2006, 21:57
My old boss used to say "There is a coloured gentleman in the fuel supply''
And the Irn Bru does not taste the same since they changed the labels.Put the golly back on the jam jar.:} :} :}

Arm out the window
10th Mar 2006, 23:14
Over here there was an uproar when PC fools wanted to change the name of a stand at one of the big cricket grounds - named after an old bloke who went by the nickname 'Nigger', so the stand was the 'Nigger Brown Stand' or something like that. Fortunately sanity prevailed and it's still called that.

Also, a popular and tasty brand of cheese named after the company founder, Mr Coon, went through some hoo-ha when it was suggested that the name was offensive to some.

Blacksheep
12th Mar 2006, 01:55
British Citizenship tests based around the ability to drink a pint of beer and eat a bacon butty.I'm all for it as long as its good British beer. I do draw the line at the bacon butty though. ;)

Shalom! :p

BlueWolf
12th Mar 2006, 06:09
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/TheSourceAura/sheep3.jpg

Realistic, init.

"Baa baa PC sheep, have you any LSD?"

"Yes sir, yes sir, three brainwashings full."

And they let these people be teachers. The ones who will train the next generation. Who are training the next generation.

And they, by the way, is you - you know, those of you who have the vote.

Grainger
12th Mar 2006, 10:04
Just to show you how much things have changed in twenty years.
. . . Couldn't quite believe his eyes, when I kissed the teacher
My whole class went wild
As I held my breath, the world stood still, but then he just smiled
I was in the seventh heaven when I kissed the teacher
One of these days
Gonna tell him I dream of him every night
One of these days
Gonna show him I care, gonna teach him a lesson alright . . .Just a bit of harmless fun in those days, a fairly average record from a popular band of the time.

Wonder if a song like that would be tolerated now: "...but then he just smiled - before being clapped in irons and placed on the sex offenders register" isn't quite so catchy ?

[Edited to remove dodgy link]

lexxity
12th Mar 2006, 13:13
Bluewolf you are right. To that end I have become a governor at the primary school my boy will attend in the future.

Do not get me started on surestart, that is the most anti-middle class government crap around. Their motto is "for every parent and child that matters". Unless you live in a postcode they deem as too "well off", so by surestarts reckoning I don't matter. If you come under one of the magic postcodes you get access to free parenting classes, mums and tots groups, baby massage, cookery classes, etc, etc if you don't it's tough! And before you say, well organise something yourself, I am already looking into getting access to a church hall, but why should I have to fork out more when I already pay council and income tax for these very services that someone else can use, but I cannot?

PC fairy tales (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/002542730X/102-4394324-5452118?v=glance&n=283155)

Davaar
12th Mar 2006, 21:19
My old boss used to say "There is a coloured gentleman in the fuel supply''
:}

I was the only, Ahhh, stranger at a meeting in Jamaica. One of the local client group arrived late, looked around the table, and said: "I smell a Caucasian in the woodpile".

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Mar 2006, 21:36
Wasn't there a tale of a large gentleman of West Indian extraction in the British military who came staggering along behind his honky counterpart during a field training excercise staged for the benefit of the Equal Opportunities mob? It seems he was loaded down with rucksacks and rifles belonging to both of them and visibly wilting under the load as the honky strolled along in front, unencumbered. As they drew abreast of the EO observers, the honky turned to the West Indian gentleman and said in a loud voice "Bearer! My gun!!".:E

Of course they were good mates and it was a wind up to find new and exciting ways to toy with the blood pressure of the PC crowd...:ok: