PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways

tropical wave
7th Mar 2006, 15:24
Looking for info on salary and working conditions for Expat [Capt] with Jet Airways.Much Thanks. TW

cub71
7th Mar 2006, 16:30
I was told about a associate of mine yesterday now working for JET A. He gets $12000 per month pluss free housing. Works six weeks, then two weeks off. First class tickets to London when he goes home.

leson
7th Mar 2006, 17:06
That is, if you´re A340 qualified with at least 1000 hrs in command. A TRE rating will give you an extra 500.

Nevrekar
7th Mar 2006, 20:02
I was given a figure of $8600 USD per month for a 737NG Capt plus housing provided. Overtime is extra. This was through Parc Aviation.

masalama
8th Mar 2006, 04:33
Can anybody from Jet airways(locals) confirm that the xpats and locals get the same salary for the same job? I hope that's the case...
N'rekar says he's been offered 8,600USD for an NG capt. position. That works out to approximately 4.0 lacs gross , I would expect allowances(night halts,flight pay) to be extra. Plus accomodation provided ,let's take an average of 20,000 a month for a two bedroom ,dunno if xpats are put up in five stars , so the figure maybe on the lower side .So that's a salary of 4.2lacs with overtime extra.
Do we have an NG local captain here to help? Not trying to be divisive here, but just for my info....
masalama.

Nevrekar
8th Mar 2006, 13:06
The expat pay package will probably be different from the local one. The package offered by Parc & Contractair include 5 Star Hotel accomdation or a 2 bedroom furnished apartment. Generally speaking, expats (when in need) are offered higher terms in order to attract applicants. However, locals have other benefits not avialable to expats. It evens out in the end. At least this was true for me when I flew in Indonesia and Saudi Arabia.

Jet_Settin
8th Mar 2006, 15:53
Salaries for Locals and expats are not the same.....
A local Captain on the NG would make bout US$5000-5500 approx a month after taxes.....with the kinda overtime we do....u would make bout another 2 grand on top of that (including layover allowances, extra work days, overtime hours).....so in a good month u could take home bout US$7000-7500 after taxes....thats as good as it gets for a local....

Expats are obviously on different terms....firstly cause they come on a short term basis...and secondly cos the company needs them

masalama
8th Mar 2006, 18:23
I'm sorry Jet_settin but I'm of a slightly different opinion re: xpat vs local pay packages.
Jet_settin wrote "firstly cause they come on a short term basis...and secondly cos the company needs them"

Well, 1. I think that all the airlines in India need captains irrespective of their nationality and definitely more the local than the expat as they don't have to put locals up in five star accomadations or give them furnished apartments at home bases simply b'cos we have houses of our own in most cases.

Secondly, xpat contracts would certainly be renewed in the present aviation climate.True, the first ones to go in a downturn are the xpats on contract but then even our jobs are not set in gold(private airline).

I just think that it is unfair to provide a lower salary to an Indian .If we cannot attract a foreign captain at the T&C's provided to a local, then we are definitely working for lesser than our worth.The funny thing is we believe the hogwash given to us by management and happily accept pay packages inferior .Yes, it is a lot of money in rupees and I am happy but the point is an equal standard.....
well there's my two cents anyway.
masalama.

Nevrekar
9th Mar 2006, 01:44
Contract work is just that.. contract. It may be from 6 months to 5 years or longer. Most contractors will be on "single" status. In other words they are leaving their families behind in their country of origin. Based on that model which is typical, the expat Capt isnt making much more that the local Indian.
They have to pay taxes back home (15-33%) plus home expenses. If you factor that in then it is the same as an Indian. Plus they are away from their familes for 6 weeks at a time. They have no retirement benefits, loss of license insurance, medical insurance for their families, and also don't quite know where they will be after the contract ends. They may be unemployed for months. The local Capt enjoys a lot more job security.

I don't mean to imply that a local should be paid less or is worth less. I am just trying to present the Expat Capt pay issue in a slightly different light.
When I worked in Saudi Arabia, there were actually different payroll depts based on nationality. Your payroll was based on your passport. U.S. passports got paid the most followed by Canadian and UK. The Indian, Pakistani, Phillipine passport holders were paid the least. Now that's really an issue there.

Jet_Settin
9th Mar 2006, 02:28
True.....all airlines in india need captains....
but do we have enough captains available locally....the answer is obviously no....
the way Jet is expanding....or for that matter everyone else too there arent enough people left to upgrade to Captain....
as of today any f/o eligible for upgrade in Jet has been taken up for the same....we're still short 100-200 pilots.
Like Nevrekar said....they dont enjoy the benefits the locals do....i guess it all evens out in the end.
Ive met many expats who work like 8 weeks and then get 2 weeks off....they obviously are home sick....and on top of that india aint everyone's cup of tea...i guess if u dont give a good package no one's gonna join you...

Chinos
12th Mar 2006, 08:32
Namaste Jet-settin

as it seems you are the only one actually IN the company and active on this post (apologies, if I missed someone out..). Here my questions:

What is their current employment criteria for expats? I mean with regard to Type and experience?

Is everyone based in Mumbai?

Thanks

:cool:

aceairman
12th Mar 2006, 09:04
Contract work is just that.. contract. It may be from 6 months to 5 years or longer. Most contractors will be on "single" status. In other words they are leaving their families behind in their country of origin. Based on that model which is typical, the expat Capt isnt making much more that the local Indian.
They have to pay taxes back home (15-33%) plus home expenses. If you factor that in then it is the same as an Indian. Plus they are away from their familes for 6 weeks at a time. They have no retirement benefits, loss of license insurance, medical insurance for their families, and also don't quite know where they will be after the contract ends. They may be unemployed for months. The local Capt enjoys a lot more job security.

I don't mean to imply that a local should be paid less or is worth less. I am just trying to present the Expat Capt pay issue in a slightly different light.
When I worked in Saudi Arabia, there were actually different payroll depts based on nationality. Your payroll was based on your passport. U.S. passports got paid the most followed by Canadian and UK. The Indian, Pakistani, Phillipine passport holders were paid the least. Now that's really an issue there.

Hi aviators, can anyone please let me know what scope there is for jet experienced NRI's to join Jet Airways (Capts & F/Os), or any one of the other numerous operators in India today? Cheers!

Jet_Settin
13th Mar 2006, 04:35
Employment Criteria

B737 Rated - Classic or NG
Minimum 2000 hrs PIC on Type (atleast thats what the book says....if they're bending it for a few...i dunno)

Not all postings are at Mumbai....
We have expats in Delhi....and i know a couple of em who are at Chennai too.

Chinos
13th Mar 2006, 05:33
Jet-settin,
Many thanks for your info.
In the past there was a rumour that there were basings in LHR and BRU as well for the 340 fleet. What happened to that, I wonder..?
Have they stopped taking in expat 340 pilots?
Thanks again.:hmm:

tonylollo
13th Mar 2006, 07:00
i hear contractair pay US$ 8,700 for NG Drivers there at Jet... they have quite a lot of them there although more A340 guys suggest you ask them:ok:

Nevrekar
13th Mar 2006, 11:28
The minimum requirement for time in type for the 737NG for expat Capts was 500 hrs. In this scenario, even though the classic 737 is the same type rating it does not count. The 500 hrs must be on the 737NG. Also required is current and qualified within the last six months.

Jet_Settin
13th Mar 2006, 13:34
Nevrekar is pretty much right....i found out today....they are asking for only 500 hrs on type.....they've pretty desperate to get people....

though the book says 2000 hrs PIC for lateral induction...but i guess that meant PIC total....

anyways.....rumour has it that they will start LHR and BRU postings sometime....but as of now....they dont have enuf planes or pilots for the same.....we're gettin 2 330s in May/June.....and thats bout it....773s and rest of the 332s start coming next yr.....i guess when they've expanded the whole network.....postings abroad will be a common thing

Chinos
14th Mar 2006, 17:16
Thanks guys, for putting me into the picture.

Will keep a keen eye on how things develop. :ok:
Happy flying in the meantime. :) :)