PDA

View Full Version : AOL Broadband

Parapunter
7th Mar 2006, 11:20
Hi All,

I've searched & can't find an answer, so sorry if this is a hackneyed old one:\

My mum & dad have AOL dial up & I've persuaded them to go broadband & wireless too. Now they like AOL & whilst I don't rate it, they're keen to stick with it. There's a desktop & a laptop, both wireless enabled but, in conversation with the customer services people (whom I wouldn't trust) they were told it is not possible to run the connection concurrently. Now I know that in general terms that isn't true - as I type, I have two pc's running one wanadoo connection, but of course AOL is proprietary stuff, so does anyone know if this is the case? bearing in mind the connection will run to a router & then out to two pc's?? I would have thought no problem, but as I say, I do not know the vagaries of the AOL set up very well.

Thx.
Punter.

whiz
7th Mar 2006, 11:40
Hey Parapunter,

I can say with complete authority that the AOL customer services peeps are talking out of their *rse, not only because I have had to deal with them on a number of occasions but because I have a single broadband connection running to 2 PCs via wireless router.. Not only that but when my kid's friends visit they pitch up with their lappy's and all 4 comfortably connect wirelessly to my single connection.

Parapunter
7th Mar 2006, 13:01
Good man Thanks:ok: I shall no doubt spend a weekend battling with the Belkin!

Foodbomber
7th Mar 2006, 18:15
Recently set up a wireless network for a friend and her daughter using AOL and it was quite simple to do. Normally you can choose more than one username for AOL broadband accounts, so create another username and password, (create before you install network, via dialup or another computer) store them in the router, set up security details and away you go. Both users can log into thier own acocunts, without seeing the others emails etc.

Search for AOL and wireless and Im sure you should find some good tips out there. I found the new username method as the easiest way. One tip though, keep the username at 6 characters. Dont know why, but it worked with 6 not 7 or 5.
As for AOL helpdesk, dont bother unless you really really have to. They told my friend to reset her router, when it was the BT exchange that had the fault. Now gotta go and reinstall it all again.

slim_slag
7th Mar 2006, 19:54
Yes, don't believe anything they say, it can be done very simply and also on their cheapest account which is something they don't tell you on their website. You can also get rid of their client software from all machines which is very nice. The only real gotcha is setting the MTU size to 1400 bytes.

mcdhu
9th Mar 2006, 14:17
Aha that's it! I couldn't get on to my internet banking site after installing a Netgear wireless modem router until the very helpful Aol man in Waterford got me to reset that MTU thingy to 1400 and then it worked like a charm.

What's it all about please?

Cheers,
mcdhu

whiz
10th Mar 2006, 14:58
the very helpful Aol man in Waterford

You were very fortunate to get Waterford, these days the the bulk of calls get routed further east where the staff read from scripts and if your problem doesnt fit the script it makes for a very expensive call.

EI-WAT
13th Mar 2006, 09:32
As an Aol Employee based in waterford i can say that any router will work correctly on the Gold & Platnium packages on the silver package you are restricted to 1 screenname being online at the one time, if you have any problem feel free to send me a pm and should be able to help

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Mar 2006, 17:59
I have a Netgear wireless router/modem and we often have 5 devices running on it -two desktop PCs. 2 laptops and a PDA.. all working perfectly and all connected to the internet via AOL.

I have been with AOL since square one and whilst I only contact tech support in cases of extreme death I have had no problems. Recently I spoke with a gent with an Indian voice and asked him what the weather was like... he was in the UK!! (And he was a genius, sorting out a problem very quickly which had baffled me all afternoon).